Clutch lever toast?

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
XJSRider
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500A

Clutch lever toast?

Post by XJSRider »

I've got a lot of irons in the fire with this bike...

Before ripping into it there was an issue with cruise control turning off, the clutch lever was a bit floppy and I could feel the switch getting activated going over a bump or something. After reading some posts here, determined the bushing was suspect... sure enough it is totally shot. Went to fit the new one today. It is still pretty loose. How tight should it fit?

It is loose enough that there is a bit of lateral movement and it would just drop right out if the rod connecting to the master cylinder was not connected. Bike has 85k and the bushing looked to be original.

If the consensus is that it should be fitting a bit tighter in the clutch lever, does anyone have recommendations for for a replacement lever? I'm tempted to bite the bullet and just go with a stock Honda lever because of all the switches and stuff. I do not need adjustable levers or anything fancy, the stock ones felt pretty good to me.

PS thanks for all the help to the people who have been responding to my posts and for the guys that post tips and tricks and generally for this site it has been super helpful.

PPS Got new dunlops mounted today with valves stems and balance beads. Tried wingadmin's trick with the ratchet straps and I am sold it was the easiest mounting job yet. Also the tip for air compressor with the beads... in the past I've re-broken the bead and poured them in then re-set the bead. The tappa tappa tappa tap tap tap thing never did it for me. But having the compressor set up anyway for mounting and inflating the tires, it was a nice trick. While waiting for the bearings I botched and the U joint for driveline to come in, weekend goal is rebuild front and rear master... getting close to the rear master.

Elmobile
Motorcycle: 1990 GL1500SE

Re: Clutch lever toast?

Post by Elmobile »

The brass bushing should have no play in the lever neither should the shaft for the lever itself!
You may want to check that the shaft is not worn out causing your lateral play.
I have replaced mine with an 1800 lever. Direct replacement for the clutch side and you get the adjustment. You can get them used for a reasonable $.
I also replaced the brake side with an 1800 unit but there, I went with the master cylinder for the 1800 as well. I've got the 2 front calipers together...
Sidecar stuff. Need my front brake on its own if need be...

XJSRider

Post by XJSRider »

Any idea if the clutch master rebuild kits include the pushrod?

Some pictures show it others do not.

My pushrod and boot are toast too.

Looking at KL 32-4250:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Master-Cylinde ... ke%3AHonda

Elmobile
Motorcycle: 1990 GL1500SE

Post by Elmobile »

I used K&L to rebuilt my rear brake caliper in March 2017. Made in Japan. Probably a little more than 10K kms on them and no issues with it.
On the clutch master cylinder, I only replaced the brass bushing and the boot with OEM parts.
You will get what showing on the pictures...

XJSRider

Post by XJSRider »

Big thumbs up thanks bud

FM-USA
Motorcycle: mc's

Post by FM-USA »

Might try while riding, pressing in (towards the switches) on the lever near the brass bushing while engaging the Cruise Control.

I'm hounded for posting helpful solutions? ARGO!!! (2012 film)
"Let's see how long this round will last."