GL1500 quit running after short ride

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
JPochron
Motorcycle: 1995 Honda Goldwing GL1500 Aspencade

GL1500 quit running after short ride

Post by JPochron »

With the help of agedbikeman I installed the LED indicator on my GL1500 and finished it late last night. Today my wife and I took a short ride and it ran perfectly went to see friends. When we left we barely made it a half mile and it started stalling, sputtering then quit altogether. The it got weird I tried restarting it and while cranking it wouldn't fire and when I released the starter button it kept trying to crank. I tried again and it was in gear and it does it again kept cranking after the starter button was released so I let go of the clutch handle it it continued to crank creeping forward even after I turned the key off it wouldn't quit cranking but eventually I somehow got it to stop. So my son and his friend came with a trailer to get it home. I let it sit in the garage several hours and went out to try and start it and after a short time it started to fire then finally ran. It seems fine now but I'm hesitant to take it anywhere to keep it from repeating it. Can anyone tell me if maybe I messed up while installing the LED gear indicator or if possibly this could be an unrelated issue. At no time after I installed the gear indicator did I encounter an issue with it cranking or starting. If anyone has any suggestions as to what might be the problem I'd appreciate your advice

Thanks

Joe

XJSRider
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500A

Re: GL1500 quit running after short ride

Post by XJSRider »

Stuck relay (is it called solenoid on starter?)?

JPochron

Post by JPochron »

That might explain why the starter button was acting up but I'm trying to determine why it died then after sitting several hours it started. Thanks for the repsonse

bellboy40
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE Candy Spectra Red

Post by bellboy40 »

It could be that your alternator is not charging and letting the battery voltage get low. That would cause the sputtering and quit running you said happened. Have you checked the battery voltage at the battery terminals when it is running? It should be near 14 volts at the battery when it is up around 2500-3000 rpm.

ct1500
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500

Post by ct1500 »

Absent a short in the starter circuit yellow/red wire to starter relay A, the culprit for continuing to crank over with key off is relay A. Go with OEM replacement #12.
https://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche.co ... %20BATTERY
Once that is squared away onto the running problem.
Local and need repair help with your 1500, Valkyrie or ST please click contact
Nothing leaves my shop till its' perfect
This is what I do

JPochron

Post by JPochron »

I bought this bike in December of 2018 and have already replaced the fuel pump with aftermarket, and alternator with high output from Amazon. It seems to fine now I started it right up and let it run over an hour revving the engine to 3000RPM's occasionally and no issues. I did notice while washing it the the license plate late under the trunk was flickering but no other lights were flickering, not sure if that is an indication of anything. I'm hesitant to ride it until I'm sure I've corrected the issue but I suppose that's nearly impossible to notice without riding it. Before I do take it out i'll replace the solenoid and relays as suggested. After I posted this i did a search on the forum for similar incidents and there are a few threads in reference to what is going on with my bike. I also replaced the fuel filter and replaced the fuel petcock so everything that the other threads indicated could be the issue were repaired way before this happened. It wouldn't be so difficult to trailer a 2 wheeler but a trike is a bit more difficult to get on a trailer. Hopefully it was a fluke and just a 1 time happening. I appreciate all the responses and suggestions this forum is a wealth of information

ct1500
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500

Post by ct1500 »

You would not be the first to have problems when using a non OEM fuel pump. My personal opinion for the high failure rate is that they were designed to be installed and run in a vertical application. :?:
Local and need repair help with your 1500, Valkyrie or ST please click contact
Nothing leaves my shop till its' perfect
This is what I do

JPochron

Post by JPochron »

I don't believe it's the fuel pump. It's pumping just fine. Whatever caused the problem it caused a chain of events. We went on a short ride visited with friends then when we left we went maybe 1/2 mile and it started to sputter then die then the starter went hay wire. After letting it sit a few hours at home it took a few tries but fired up and no seems fine but I'm still troubleshooting and hopefully fix the problem. Replacing a few relays will hopefully help

JPochron

Post by JPochron »

ct1500 in as much as I hate to admit this you were right. After reading your comment I went and tried starting it again and nothing so I removed the seat and pulled the gas line it wasn't pumping any gas. I just put that aftermarket pump in not to long ago and it doesn't have many miles on it. Anyhow I bought 2 of them pulled the bad 1 out put the new 1 in and it fired right up. I'm considering buying an OEM but they're so darn expensive do you know if the OEM Fuel pump can be rebuilt Thanks for your comment

JPochron

Post by JPochron »

I decided to go ahead an purchase a new OEM Fuel Filter. Amazon had it for $269.99 so I went ahead and purchased it. Based on your comment ct1500 and the length of time I had the aftermarket fuel pump in my bike I don't want to take a chance of this other aftermarket pump going out. Thanks again