Fuel pump components

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
Duke8
Motorcycle: 1998 GL1500 SE 50th Anniversary Edition

Fuel pump components

Post by Duke8 »

Can anyone tell me what this is that is attached to the bracket? Ground? The wire from the "W" terminal on the topside runs to it.

When I pulled my fuel pump I noticed that the connector had broke off flush with whatever that thing is, so I'm not sure if it's fixable. If not, hopefully it's replaceable.

4given
Motorcycle: 1996 honda goldwing aspencade GL1500

Re: Fuel pump components

Post by 4given »

It’s the sensor for the low fuel light. Known to fail. If it still works just repair wiring and you’re good to go. If the sensor has failed,they are still available. There are also other options available if you search this site.

Duke8
Motorcycle: 1998 GL1500 SE 50th Anniversary Edition

Post by Duke8 »

Thanks for the info. So would have nothing to do with my fuel pump not running. If I wanted to bench test the pump, could I run a ground to the connection behind the black rubber boot (just below the low fuel sensor) and hot to the B+ on top of the mounting plate?

Thanks for your patience, I'm really new to this bike and just trying to get the damn thing running!

4given
Motorcycle: 1996 honda goldwing aspencade GL1500

Post by 4given »

Since the wires already appear to be cut just run +12v to the positive and ground the other wire(-). The low fuel sending unit should have nothing to do with the fuel pump.

bigsteveswing
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500I
Motorvation Formula II sidecar

Post by bigsteveswing »

I'm no expert but when I got my bike it hadn't run at all in several years, despite being stored well. I siphoned off a couple gallons of old gas, looked to have had Stabil in it but pretty rough any way. I then made the "mistake" of leaving the tank dry while I did timing belts and a bunch of other pre-start maintenance.

When I finally fueled it up and tried to start it I got no fuel. Power to the pump but no output. I pulled the pump and disassembled it enough to turn the impeller by hand, actually with a little screwdriver. Kept trying it with my 12 volt charger and finally it spun to life. I think it just dried up and got stuck from no fuel in it for a couple months, should have put fuel in right away.

Knock on wood it has been running great for 2 summers now, (really hope it doesn't die now that I said that) :roll:
Big Steve
Keep America Strong: Weld It
8-)

aj1500
Motorcycle: 97 1500 SE
Motorvation II sidecar
Double Dark Side # 1522
Goodyear Fuel max 175/60 R16
PILOT ACTIV 130/70 18
USCA# 8913

Post by aj1500 »

I hope you have better luck than I did but I'm afraid you are going to have some carb issues once you get the pump straightened out. I just bought a bike that sat for a couple years and even after 3 tanks of heavy seafoam treatment I ended up pulling the carbs and sending them off to be rebuilt because I couldn't get the idle circuit cleared out enough for it to idle properly
Good Luck