Intermittent vibration

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
todehnal
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500A Aspencade

Re: Intermittent vibration

Post by todehnal »

Hi Fellow Wingers. Here is an update on my vibration. To restate, it is a very high frequency handlebar buzz. In fact, I can even detect it with slightly blurry rear view mirrors. It is strongest between 30 and 55 mph. I ran the bike up to 60 mph, shifted into neutral and turned the key off to try to narrow down possible causes. It was still there just as strong as ever, so that eliminates the engine as the cause. I ran the bike on the center stand and got it up to 60 mph and had no handlebar buzz. That indicates to me that the problem is likely in the front end. I have a new Elite 4 tire that is balanced, but the buzz continues. I also replaced the front wheel bearings and the buzz is still there. I had some buzz with the old well worn Elite 3s that was singing and showing some cupping, but with this new tire it is worse. I really don't want to give up on this bike but I am at a loss of what to do. Any help will be appreciated.....Tom

Elmobile
Motorcycle: 1990 GL1500SE

Post by Elmobile »

It was mentioned earlier but head bearings correctly torqued with no dead spot in the center...
bellboy40
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE Candy Spectra Red

Post by bellboy40 »

I know you have a new tire on the front, but to my little pea brain, the vibration you have described and the things you have done to find it, points to a tire issue. It would be nice if you could replace that whole front wheel/tire assembly with one from another Goldwing as a test to see if that fixes it.
todehnal

Post by todehnal »

Sorry for the long delay in my reply. I finally replaced the front tire and have verified that the cause if the handlebar buzz is with the center groove pattern design on the new Elite 4 front tires. End of story.....Tom
bellboy40
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE Candy Spectra Red

Post by bellboy40 »

Thanks for the update. Glad to hear you have the problem sorted out.
todehnal

Post by todehnal »

Another Winger reported the same issues with the Elite 4 front tire. If you are interested, take a look at the "Tech Talk" heading on this forum and view "Vibration at certain speed". He is going through all of the steps that I did. Hopefully my final post on that forum will save him some trouble. Tom
todehnal

Post by todehnal »

IN FACT, I challenge everyone with a GL1500 who is running the Dunlop Elite 4 130/70/18 Bias tire on the front to try this riding experiment:

Find a flat stretch of relatively smooth road. Run along at 30 to 40 mph in 5th gear. Pay attention to the handlebars feel with a light grip. Now carefully ride some S patterns and feel the difference in handlebar buzz as you move on and off of the tires center groove. Squeeze the clutch lever and throttle to idle if you like. Even with gloves on, I can feel the buzz return as I move back to riding on the center groove.

I chased the source of this issue for over 6 months, over 4,000 miles and many dollars. Now that I know exactly what is causing the buzz, it isn't a deal killer on the tires. It's just something that I put up with. I still like the tire. I just wish that Dunlop would change the center groove design and fix this problem. Anyway, give it a try. Thanks...........Tom
todehnal

Post by todehnal »

Is there any GL1500 owners running Elite 4s on their ride?? Sure would like to hear from you about handlebar buzz after trying the ride test stated in the previous post. Thanks............Tom