Has a new timing belt improved your gas mileage.

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
Roughridercog
Motorcycle: 1989 Honda Goldwing 1500

Has a new timing belt improved your gas mileage.

Post by Roughridercog »

it's time to replace the timing belt in my 89 Wing. I get about 24 mpg average and wondered if replacing the timing belt is going to improve my mileage at all.
What is your experience?

Elmobile
Motorcycle: 1990 GL1500SE

Re: Has a new timing belt improved your gas mileage.

Post by Elmobile »

Did not help on mine and I don't see why it would...
Rebuilding the carbs and having them synchronized did help.
I am getting 29 miles/Gal with a CSC Friendship III sidecar.

Roughridercog
Motorcycle: 1989 Honda Goldwing 1500

Post by Roughridercog »

That is next month's project.

joeincalif
Motorcycle: 1997 Gold Wing SE

Post by joeincalif »

If your only getting 24 MPG average there is something. I always averag3ed about 40 MPG and I have owned 7 Gold Wings from an 1100 to two 1800's and always got right around 40 MPG.
IF YOUR BORN ONCE YOU WILL DIE TWICE
IF YOUR BORN TWICE YOU WILL DIE ONCE

CrystalPistol
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500SE/'98 Lehman Trike

Post by CrystalPistol »

If new belts improve mileage it's because the cam timing is FUBAR now … it can happen.

Back in late 1978 I was a new state trooper trainee riding with my FTO, he got a new '78 Plymouth Grand Fury while I was there, 440 4bbl, more of a Satelite sized car the year before. I was very interested because the academy was already holding onto a flock of '78s just like it for my school that was to start in Feb '79. Even for a car of the times, my FTO's was a pig from day one when we went to Richmond & got it. In time and miles, it got no better before I left to start basic. I was hoping mine would run better. His old high miles '74 was much better running. I went off to a 5+ month academy but I traveled back to that county on weekends to see the girl whom I had met and whom I would marry after graduation, and sometimes my former FTO would be in the median when I come westward. One night, he stopped me (I was easy to pick out in my '67 Chevelle SS, even after dark) just to ask how the academy was going, etc … then he told me that he had complained about the car enough that the area rep had the local dealership put their best man on it, he found the cam was installed timed a couple teeth retarded. They fixed it and he said it was a screamer then. My '78 was a good runner too once broken in, nothing like a pig.
Make Courtesy your "Code of the Road" …

… & Have a Safe Trip!
:)

TwoTone Trike
Motorcycle: 1999 Honda GoldWing 1500se/2012 Hannigan Trike, 1953 Panhead, 1973 Electra Glide sold

Post by TwoTone Trike »

Wow, I have a 99 se Hannigan trike conversion and I average 35 mpg consistently, two up or solo. Which by the way my wife is no bigger than a popcorn fart. :lol: :lol: :lol: