My fuel guage is a liar.

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
Roughridercog
Motorcycle: 1989 Honda Goldwing 1500

My fuel guage is a liar.

Post by Roughridercog »

This morning I filled up with 2.7 gallons and the guage read 1/3 of a tank. I nearly screamed, "LIAR! YOU HOLD OVER SIX GALLONS!"

I restrained myself.

Are your guages liars, too?

CrystalPistol
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500SE/'98 Lehman Trike

Re: My fuel guage is a liar.

Post by CrystalPistol »

Well, it holds 6.3 gallons I think, but near a gallon or more is reserve, so of the gage sweep, I'm thinking closer to reflecting the upper 5 gallons worth. 1/3 isn't far below 1/2 in the scale of things. 2.7 gallons off the top of 5 gallons is 54% down, or 46% remaining above the reserve. That's between 1/3 & 1/2. It is just a float on a arm moving a wiper along a resistor coil. Beats having to "stick the tank" while riding (ie: stop, level bike, open gas cap, stick a bare clean wooden stick in and withdrawing it to see the level).

If all vehicles reflected total tank volume, people be running out of gas right & left, clogging the roads because they always think they can go further. Years ago, my wife went with a couple other Trooper's wives to Roanoke for a Tupperware party, it's a 60+ mile trip one way, my wife later said the driver's car had a "low fuel" light come on while on the way down, but the driver "poo-poohed" the light and said she could drive the then new Prelude all week on the light. She got my wife home, but she and the remaining wife were stranded about 10 miles later out on I-64 west near midnight. No cell phone, they waited and waited some more and sometime near 2AM the midnight shift Trooper (that was me) found them while making a pass.
Make Courtesy your "Code of the Road" …

… & Have a Safe Trip!
:)

AZgl1800
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800
2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc

Post by AZgl1800 »

Roughridercog wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 11:08 am
This morning I filled up with 2.7 gallons and the guage read 1/3 of a tank. I nearly screamed, "LIAR! YOU HOLD OVER SIX GALLONS!"

I restrained myself.

Are your guages liars, too?
Easy to recalibrate the fuel gauge, the OEM setting is almost useless IMO.

pull seat, remove fuel pump.
stand on left side of bike, reach in with right hand, feel forwards to the left side of tank.

That is where the float ball is.
Drain tank, siphon, etc.

Measure 3 gallons of fuel and pour into tank.
Now, make sure the OFF/ON/OFF switch is OFF.
Turn Key on, the reading will NOT be at 1/2 tank.

reach inside and bend the float ball arm so that the gauge will read 1/2 tank.

Job #1 done.

Now, at 1/2 tank you know there is 3 gallons remaining.
at 1/8 tank you know there is about 1/2 gallon remaining, and the Low Fuel light should be lit.

the only "downside" is the gauge will read Full for about 100 miles or so, then start to creep down....
but hey, I would rather know how much is actually left in the tank when you have ridden 175 miles, wouldn't you?
~John

'02 GL1800
2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc

Elmobile
Motorcycle: 1990 GL1500SE

Post by Elmobile »

This one goes on my winter list for sure... A freebie $ wise and I second your logic.
Would hate running out of fuel with my sidecar :D
Then I may remove the spare jug I do keep with me...

Elmobile
Motorcycle: 1990 GL1500SE

Post by Elmobile »

PS:
Before removing the fuel pump plate... Drain your tank :shock:

AZgl1800
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800
2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc

Post by AZgl1800 »

Elmobile wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:01 pm
PS:
Before removing the fuel pump plate... Drain your tank :shock:
if you have ridden more than 100 miles, it will be lower than the fuel pump plate....
but, yes, I should have mentioned be sure the fuel level is low enough to open it up w/o it running on the floor.

it is a 10 minute fix to a very vexing situation.
~John

'02 GL1800
2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc

4given
Motorcycle: 1996 Honda GL1500 Aspencade

Post by 4given »

I reset my trip meter after refueling and when it hits 200 miles it’s time to look for fuel. That’s also about the time my low fuel light comes on and I can usually get another 40 to 45 miles.
“Fight the fight and do what is right“

kwthom
Motorcycle: 2016 GL1800

Post by kwthom »

4given wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:28 pm
I reset my trip meter after refueling and when it hits 200 miles it’s time to look for fuel. That’s also about the time my low fuel light comes on and I can usually get another 40 to 45 miles.
:lol:

This becomes deeply ingrained on that brain cell from decades ago, when a fuel gauge was a luxury item on a motorcycle. Every time you filled it, you reset that trip meter and kept on going. When you had to switch to the reserve on the petcock, you could look & see how far you'd ridden. It worked on those three gallon total capacity bikes from the late 70's and early 80's.

For the OP, even before you take the time to do the fix, this method may be a suitable work-around to your present situation. It would certainly be more accurate. ;)
• "If I can't fix it, I'll fix it so nobody can!" ● Wait...I no longer have to fix it - I'm retired! :lol: ● Ken (IBA#50030) ● "Get busy living, or get busy dying." -Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption 1994 ● My blog

FM-USA
Motorcycle: mc's

Post by FM-USA »

I don't have the 1 gal. fuel light, (Interstate model). Filled the empty tank with 2 gals and know exactly where the needle is for 2 gals to go.

On my Wing, I ran out of fuel once.... key word: ONCE.
From then on I carry 2 to 4 SeaFoam (or equivalent) cans of gas mixed with 1 oz trans fluid (or 2-stroke oil). I have a tupperware type of container that's good for gas that those cans go into, JUST IN CASE of leaks. Never had a leak'r... yet. Also I put a rag under those cans IF there were a leak. No fuel slosh for me.
That oil TAMES the gas pressure build-up in that can so it's safe(er) in a saddlebag. Also it does not smell like gas in the saddlebag.
With the oil in the gas it still has all the power that gas came with. For me each of those 16oz can will beget me 5 to 7 miles each, load dependent.

I'm hounded for posting helpful solutions? ARGO!!! (2012 film)
"Let's see how long this round will last."