Brake light blowing fuses

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
rmcgruder
Motorcycle: HONDA GOLDWING 1992 GL1500A ASPENCADE

Brake light blowing fuses

Post by rmcgruder »

Yep guys it me again, with yet another problem. My 1992 gl1500a aspencade is blowing the 11th fuse (HORN BLINK) fuse everytime I hit the brakes? I mean without fail, it the brakes and that fuse blows. Once again any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys :(

AZgl1800
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800
2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc

Re: Brake light blowing fuses

Post by AZgl1800 »

you are going to have to start with the tail light and remove the bulb.

apply brakes, fuse blows? it is a short in the wiring harness somewhere.

open up the plastics and trace it all out.

Instead of blowing a lot of fuses, get a headlamp bulb and put it in lieu of the fuse.

I bought a fuse test kit a while back, you remove the fuse and plug the adapter in place of the fuse, it has terminals to connect an ammeter, or a big heavy light bulb....

if there is a short, the headlamp will burn bright, keep tracing until the lamp no longer lights up.
~John

'02 GL1800
2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc

rmcgruder
Motorcycle: HONDA GOLDWING 1992 GL1500A ASPENCADE

Re: Brake light blowing fuses

Post by rmcgruder »

Found the problem!!!! By the Grace of God, I made it home from my trip to Indiana!! I wish I could get this picture thing to work right, going to try it again. Removed my seat to start checking my wires, thought I had found the problem with some wiring issues found in the right side saddle. I replaced the blown fuse with a new one, turned the key and hit the brakes, this time, I heard a loud POP AND SMOKE flow up from the battery area!!! Pulled the right side cover off and went looking for where the smoke had come from, FOUND IT!!! Some how, Im thinking my seat, had ripped away the covering of my wire harness and the wires have been laying against the frame of the bike and wires were now bear and touching the metel. But not only the metal, the wire were melting to one another!!

That was what was confusing me to no end: I kept saying to myself, why would my brakes keep taking out my blinkers and horn, its not even the correct fuse that is blowing? Well the reason is simple, it was the blinker and horn line that the brakes were grounding too. Thanks guys for all the help, this is a great forum!