Anti Climatic no start.

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
XJSRider
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500A

Anti Climatic no start.

Post by XJSRider »

Got everything put back together (at least enough for test ride), hit the starter... click, headlight out, no crank.

Clutch lever - can here microswitch click at beginning of travel (cruise) and at end of travel (for starter?)
Had battery out. Pulled it again, checked, all wires appear connected. Three big wires going to transformer/heat sink thing behind rear tire. Disconnected, reconnected, seems ok.
Had starter solenoid out for U joint, but I left one wire connected so I wouldn't get them mixed up. Both look to be snug.
Tried switching a relay and fuse for "starter ign" but no luck.

I don't have radio, or air compressor controls connected at front of bike, would that cause it not to start?

Any suggestions appreciated!!!!

XJSRider

Re: Anti Climatic no start.

Post by XJSRider »

The "click" that I'm hearing is the relay for the headlight.

bellboy40
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE Candy Spectra Red

Post by bellboy40 »

Does the neutral light come on when in neutral? Try moving the reverse lever up and down a few times. Go visit the area where you have been working to look for something amiss.

XJSRider

Post by XJSRider »

When I turn the key to ON all the normal lights come on, including neutral and reverse. Since last start I had adjusted the reverse lever (per the factory manual).

After a second or 2, key still in on, the lights go out except Neutral and Oil. When I move the reverse lever to REVERSE, the neutral light goes off (but reverse light does not come on, not sure if that is because bike is not on). When I hit the starter with bike in 'reverse' nothing happens, but the headlight stays on.

Things I touched that might have effect:
1.Clutch master rebuild. I can hear the microswitches activating. I took the non-cruise clutch switch off and jumped the wires to see if the microswitch was bad. No luck.

2. Reverse lever adjustment. Did it per the book using the reference mark and lining it up. Tried wiggling and jiggling no luck.

3. Had battery box out (there is a 2nd starter relay there). It has an integral 30 amp fuse looked good.

4. U Joint had the starter relay with the red and blue wires out but kept blue wire connected so I think that is good.

5. Mystery Item: there is something that looks like a big heat sink behind the rear tire that has a large connection from starter motor to it as well as 3 smaller but still pretty big wires. I had to take this thing out but replaced it and double checked the connections. If I need to get this thing out again it will be a bad day.

Some of the electronics are still off the bike (air compressor control and radio) but looking at the electrical diagram they don't seem to play a part. But there are a lot of wires on this thing...

For the 2 large starter relays, the 2 large wires that go in (the ones carrying the juice) it shouldn't matter if those are swapped, correct? Because the relay is just opening or closing the circuit?

XJSRider

Post by XJSRider »

I found my test light last night and checked the reverse switch. With the key "on" two of the three wires were hot. When I switched to reverse one of the wires stayed hot, one turned cold, and the previously cold wire turned hot so I think it is working fine.

bellboy40

Post by bellboy40 »

It seems the reverse switch is operating as designed. Now do this test.
Put your voltmeter positive lead on the yellow/red wire going to the starter relay A and the black lead to battery negative post. With the ignition switch on and in neutral, push starter button and check for battery volts on the yellow/red. It should have voltage on it when the starter button is pushed. Now, while still holding the starter button down, put the meter lead on the brown/red wire on the starter relay A. You should get near 0 volts there (it should be grounded from the neutral switch). Come back with those results and we will go from there.

XJSRider

Post by XJSRider »

yellow/red wire, starter button pushed - 12v (battery voltage)
brown/red wire, starter button pushed - 12v (NOT near zero!)

bellboy40

Post by bellboy40 »

Try that brown/red wire with the clutch pulled in. If it still is not grounded, then we need to check the "reverse switch". It is on the right side of engine near the oil dipstick. It has a wire connected to it that should be grounded when the reverse lever is in forward position. Pull that wire off and see if the switch terminal is grounded. Put a ground on that wire, then see if the bike will start. Since you said you were working in that area, if may be that the reverse cables are out of adjustment.

XJSRider

Post by XJSRider »

Also... no power to clutch switch on handle bar! Test light on both wires, no light with key set to 'on' even pushing starter.

XJSRider

Post by XJSRider »

brown/red still has full voltage regarless of clutch position- probably because no juice to clutch microswitch.

Put test probe pointer on batter +, touched that cruise switch on right side with neg, lit up. Big fat ground wire there it looks fine.

I think something disconnected with my clutch microswitch which explains why jumping it did not help

bellboy40

Post by bellboy40 »

Put a ground on that brown/red wire at starter relay A then try to start it.

XJSRider

Post by XJSRider »

Hey so I re-read your thing about the reverse switch ground... I don't think I checked the correct part. See 1st pic where I'm pointing. This spot is grounded, but it just holds the cables and does not rotate, so it is always grounded. I don't see a ground wire on the part that actually moves back and forth when you switch from forward to reverse
Attachments

bellboy40

Post by bellboy40 »

Follow that black wire near your finger down towards 5 o'clock. That is the reverse switch.

XJSRider

Post by XJSRider »

OK so reverse switch IS grounded.

I grounded the brn/red wire as you suggested and bike cranked!!!!!

Is it related to no voltage at the clutch switch?

Also cruise light does not come on (bike not running) not sure if that is a symptom or not.

Dude thank you so much for your help. What is the next step?

XJSRider

Post by XJSRider »

That reverse switch wire seems to be grounded regardless of reverse lever position

bellboy40

Post by bellboy40 »

Ok good, now we're getting somewhere. You say the neutral light comes on when in neutral so that reverse switch relay should be operated. With that relay operated, it should let the ground from the neutral switch pass through to that brown/red wire on the starter relay A. So maybe that relay is bad. It is located under the seat near the crossover brace. Remove your temp ground on the brown/red wire and see if you can measure voltage on brown/red wire on that relay when trying to start. Then measure the blue/red wire when trying to start. Those two wires should be connected together through the relay.

XJSRider

Post by XJSRider »

OK I removed the reverse relay and tried swapping it with another, no luck.

Reverse lever forward, clutch switch in and out, key to on, starter pushed:

Brn/Red = 12v
Blu/Red = cold

XJSRider

Post by XJSRider »

results I posted happen with or without the reverse relay connected

bellboy40

Post by bellboy40 »

Ok, that relay is not operating. See if you have 12 volts on the yellow/red. The black/red should be ground with the bike in neutral.

XJSRider

Post by XJSRider »

yellow/red at the reverse relay has 0.38V

XJSRider

Post by XJSRider »

with key on blk/red at same relay is ground no matter what gear

bellboy40

Post by bellboy40 »

There should be 12v on yellow/red at reverse relay. Hmm, that 12v is coming from the same source as for the neutral light and it lights right? It goes through the reverse diode assembly on its way to that relay. There is a connector C32, that that wire goes through. Need to test it at that connector. Might have a loose connector or maybe some corrosion in there. Here is a picture of where C32 is located. The black/white in C32 is 12v and the yellow/red should be 12v after going thru the diode on its way to the relay.

C32 under seat GL1500
C32 under seat GL1500

XJSRider

Post by XJSRider »

Thanks for your continued assistance! Pic did not post

XJSRider

Post by XJSRider »

never mind there it is. Yes, netural light lights up... I will try to find C32.....

bellboy40

Post by bellboy40 »

Here is the applicable page for the start circuit that we are working on if you want to try to troubleshoot it from there.

GL1500 start circuit
GL1500 start circuit