Anti Climatic no start.

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
XJSRider
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500A

Re: Anti Climatic no start.

Post by XJSRider »

OK So I think I found c32. Mine is in a slightly different spot, on top of the fender in a plastic case, but it is RED and has 22 pins so I think that is it.

I had it disconnected and measured across both sides blk/white and yellow/red. I noticed neutral light was out when they were disconnect.

I reconnected and got around 12v at black/white and around 10v at yellow/red. Then something interesting happened. As I was bending the C32 around to probe it I was hearing clicks from the reverse relay. Voltage on the yellow/red was fluctuating too. I've attached pics of what I think is C32 and then a shot of the inside. I think the green stuff is corrosion it looks pretty nasty.

I think you nailed it with the bad connection. I had not been in here at all I guess I was just unlucky (lucky?) that it happened after I had ripped the bike apart. I will try to clean it out and see if it is fixed. Bike did crank SLOW when I was wiggling it around.

Seems to be a ton of super low voltage phantom draws all over the place on this bike, is that why people keep them hooked up to trickle chargers? Thanks again for your help. I'm going to try to clean up C32 and charge the battery and see what happens.

XJSRider

Post by XJSRider »

Here are the pics forgot to post them,
Attachments

bellboy40
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE Candy Spectra Red

Post by bellboy40 »

If you have some CLR, that stuff does a great job of cleaning corroded connectors. Here is a link from an old thread that tells how one of the members did it.
https://www.goldwingfacts.com/threads/g ... ost-744327

bellboy40

Post by bellboy40 »

Those pins in that connector are definitely the problem. Try dipping them in the CLR or some Lime Away for a few seconds then swish around in some clean water. Blow them dry with some compressed air and dab a little dielectric grease on them. That should clean them up nice.

XJSRider

Post by XJSRider »

Big thumbs up success!

Thanks for your help!!!!!!

I have a separate issue now I am not charging... but I did pull the alternator I will check my work. Thanks again. REALLY appreciate it.

bellboy40

Post by bellboy40 »

Glad to hear you got it fixed. How did you clean the connector? Wondering if you used the CLR or some other method.

XJSRider

Post by XJSRider »

I had some contact cleaner. I starter with toothpicks and q tips to get most of the gunk off, then sprayed the contacts and went to town with an old toothbrush, then wet q tips. It cleaned up surprisingly easily. Blew everything out with some compressed air and plugged it back in, good to go.

I cut the bottom off an old 1 gallon milk jug to use as a pan to work over so I wouldn't get the contact cleaner all over everything.

Need to get some dialectric grease to pack it up next time I head out to the store.

bellboy40

Post by bellboy40 »

Sounds good. There may be some other connectors that need that treatment. They live in the same environment.

XJSRider

Post by XJSRider »

Its funny you mention that. There is an other 22 prong connector right next door, but it looked fine. I'll check what I can while it is open.