Exhaust, age old problem

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
agedbikeman
Motorcycle: 1995 GL1500 Aspencade with Insta trike
2014 Can-Am Spyder RT

Exhaust, age old problem

Post by agedbikeman »

Hi Guys, looks like I need a collector box and mufflers, as said on previous pages collector no longer available, but all the posts go back a few years, so does anyone know if any are being produced? all I've seen on ebay are in the same condition as mine.

Also has anyone had experience of Black Widow mufflers? if I fit them on the existing oem collector box, is it any louder, I do not want louder i hate noisy bikes, don't want to buy and be stuck with them being too noisy but my oem mufflers are in poor shape aswell.

As others have previously mentioned, I'm surprised no one has started making collector boxes, with all the GL1500's around the world it would be a ready market. Black Widow exhausts make a collector but it's just straight through pipes and one of their engineers told me today using it would be very loud indeed, but I couldn't get any sense out of him if their mufflers on the oem collector would be very loud.

Any input welcome.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Exhaust, age old problem

Post by WingAdmin »

There are companies making aftermarket exhaust collector replacements, like this one:

https://www.blackwidowexhausts.co.uk/gl ... -222-p.asp

Replacements like this that more or less replace the collector with a crossover are a bit louder:

Never miss a video: Subscribe to the GoldwingDocs YouTube channel today!

Motad made a stainless collector replacement as well. I know Motad went into receivership a few years back, I don't know if they came out of it or not:

agedbikeman
2014 Can-Am Spyder RT

Post by agedbikeman »

Thanks wing admin, I know the company who make these in the uk, I spoke to them today and they did tell me their collector is quite a bit louder than the OEM as it's just a straight through pipe, I'm wondering if I could stuff a DB killer into it

ct1500
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500

Post by ct1500 »

agedbikeman wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 3:34 pm
Thanks wing admin, I know the company who make these in the uk, I spoke to them today and they did tell me their collector is quite a bit louder than the OEM as it's just a straight through pipe, I'm wondering if I could stuff a DB killer into it
A straight thru pipe, direct from the manufacturer and is louder than OEM.
I have been writing for years on the Forums that the magical Honda "collector box" is in reality just a muffler and that the tailpipes are exhaust resonators just like any high end exhaust system back in the day for whisper quiet exhaust noise. :) Mufflers and resonators in english.
Back in the early days when Honda service and parts manuals were translated into other languages from Japanese there was a lot of room for improvement.

Local and need repair help with your 1500, Valkyrie or ST please click contact
Nothing leaves my shop till its' perfect
This is what I do

FM-USA
Motorcycle: mc's

Post by FM-USA »

Motad collector\muffler looks like a HD Peanut tank with pipe welded to it. :shock: I wonderrrrrr....
I'm hounded for posting helpful solutions? ARGO!!! (2012 film)
"Let's see how long this round will last."

agedbikeman
2014 Can-Am Spyder RT

Post by agedbikeman »

Now, found a second hand collector from a firm in Holland for 125 euros, about the same in dollars, they had 2 in stock if anyone has need, they ship worldwide, they look from the photos in much better condition than the ones on Ebay, I live in France so it's not far to post them.

www.boonstraparts.com is the company in Holland.

Unles anyone has a better idea, I think I will also go for the Black Widow mufflers and if they're too loud (as I only accept quiet bikes) these mufflers come apart for extra stuffing and DB killers.

when I get my collector in a few days, I will rub down apply antirust and high temp paint before fitting.
I will then set about renovating the old collector as a spare, that has one crumbling outlet pipe.

Any input appreciated, but I'd sure like to get my hands on one of those stainless collectors that Motad made before they went bust.