Replacing Faulty Connectors

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
XJSRider
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500A

Replacing Faulty Connectors

Post by XJSRider »

I have a problem with an 11x2 connector (C32 on GL1500) that is causing intermitent continuity.

The female side was very corroded. I cleaned it up and put it back together, it worked, but pushing on the wire loom causes relays to start clicking... so I am thinking that the corrosion may have caused one or more of the female spade connectors to open up a bit, so I don't have a good connection.

I bought some of these automotive style plastic connectors to add disconnects to aftermarket lights PO put on so I could remove saddlebags:

https://www.amazon.com/WMYCONGCONG-Auto ... ve&sr=1-16

I tried to crimp the wires into the metal connectors, but overall the male/female ends were a little sloppy in the housings and it was a real challenge to get them to line up correctly and click together. This was only a 2x2 with 3 connections, I would never get 22 to all line up and go together.

Anyone have experience replacing these types of connectors? I'm considering going with individual bullet connectors or even just hard wiring it. I did a ton of work on this bike and never had to open this connector until a member helped me trace a no start issue here... I feel a little dirty suggesting cutting out the connector and hard wiring but I think it may be the most reliable move. What do you guys think?

tamathumper
Motorcycle: 2003 GL1800A

Re: Replacing Faulty Connectors

Post by tamathumper »

Ask these guys, they may have a good suggestion for you.

http://www.cycleterminal.com/motorcycle-connectors.html
'03 GL1800A - Warning: fopen() [function.fopen]: failed to open stream: Sense of humor not found on line 2

Rednaxs60
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD
1995 GL1500 SE CDN Edition
2012 Suzuki DL1000 VStrom
2008 GL1800 (sold)
Ontario 1985 GL1200 LTD (sold)

Post by Rednaxs60 »

Can you post pics of the connector? I would not hard wire the wires. As mentioned can talk/email some connector suppliers, even Honda, for recommendations. I use these inexpensive OEM style connectors and have no issues. Took me a bit to get the crimping process correct, have several crimpers that I use depending on wire size and application. Good luck.
"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen"

Ernest

XJSRider

Post by XJSRider »

This is the connector I'm dealing with
Attachments

Rednaxs60
2008 GL1800 (sold)

Post by Rednaxs60 »

During this 1200 work period, wanted to clean up the connectors for the front fairing. A lot of crud and needed a good clean. There are three connectors on the left side of the front fairing on my bike. Cleaned these up:

Expect a better connection from each connector. Yours should clean up just as good and be able to put back into the same connector. These OEM connectors are much better than any aftermarket connector. Need to get a good removal tool. Do one side first, keep track of the wires. Put the one connector back together and make sure the wires match the reciprocal, then do the other side. Good luck.

Ernest

XJSRider

Post by XJSRider »

Did you reinstall the old connectors in the plastic frames or did you use new connectors? (By connectors I mean the metal pieces)

Rednaxs60
2008 GL1800 (sold)

Post by Rednaxs60 »

Cleaned and reused everything.

Ernest

johnny42
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100I Interstate (original owner)
2018 Royal Enfield Himalayan

Post by johnny42 »

If you're frugal and like to repurpose stuff like me, you can get some scissors and cut a very thin piece of plastic like you'd get in a clamshell from the grocery store (spring mix, grapes, strawberries, etc). Cut a 2-3" long, very thin (1/8") wide strip. I did that and used it to dislodge the wires that were in the plastic plugs. You just want to release the tang that holds the metal connector in place. Do one on the outer edge of the plug so you can see the technique. Then repeat.

Or..... buy the proper tool.

Elmobile
Motorcycle: 1990 GL1500SE

Post by Elmobile »

Would you know where to buy those tools?

XJSRider

Post by XJSRider »

The cycleterminal guys sell them. As well as pins and everything else they responded to me when I emailed them for some tips as previous poster recommended.

Also, Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/Extractor-Tool-a ... ive&sr=1-1

I went with the amazon just because I wasn't exactly sure what size I needed and they were set to arrive in less than 24 hours.

***no guarantee these are the correct size, I'll be able to confirm tonight

4given
Motorcycle: 1996 honda goldwing aspencade GL1500

Post by 4given »

You can use a small screw driver. The tab on the back needs to be bent just enough to clear the catch point and it will slide right out. And I agree with Rednax about the quality of Honda connectors. No better quality or fit.
Attachments

bellboy40
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE Candy Spectra Red

Post by bellboy40 »

Did you ever try cleaning those connectors with some CLR or Lime Away then rinse in water and blow dry with compressed air? I would try that before tearing everything apart. I sent you a link to the procedure in the other thread on your no start issue.

XJSRider

Post by XJSRider »

I guess it is worth a shot. Honestly though mine look sparkly clean. I feel like the spade connector is just a bit loose and there isn’t a good mechanical connection, but it is worth a shot

bellboy40

Post by bellboy40 »

Well if that is the case, you could try pulling the pins out of the connector and try squeezing the female pins together a little to tighten them up.

XJSRider

Post by XJSRider »

Yeah that is my plan of attack going to give it a shot tonight

XJSRider

Post by XJSRider »

The CLR bath helped a bit but I don't think the (2) 30 second baths were enough. The contacts that I thought were very clean were admittedly not as nice as some pics I've seen on internet after guys do the CLR bath (or vinegar bath seems to work too). Very little bubbling for me. But now at least when I bend the wiring harness around the relay has stopped clicking. I used a small jewellery file clean the male tabs but I can still see a greenish powdery residue on them. Meeting my dad for breakfast but I'll soak again when I get back, going to shoot for 3 min and see how they look.

The tool I got from amazon is the correct size but I'm not really that excited about pulling all these pins!

bellboy40

Post by bellboy40 »

Your connector was pretty badly corroded. It appears you are making some progress in getting it cleaned up though. Keep at it. You should be able to get it fixed so you have good connections without resorting to taking the pins out of the connector. Put some dielectric grease on there too when you get them clean.

Rednaxs60
2008 GL1800 (sold)

Post by Rednaxs60 »

XJSRider wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:30 am
The tool I got from amazon is the correct size but I'm not really that excited about pulling all these pins!
A lot of what I do and have learned started in 2014 when I got back into the motorcycle world, especially with these older Gold Wings. Never did a front fork rebuild, looked at or even fixed an OEM connector. Added wiring with the normal solderless connectors, and a whole lot of other items. Six years later and I'm rebuilding a 1200 engine, new rings, primary chain, and the likes. Used CERAKOTE to coat and protect the parts that I had vapour blasted.

Have painted my 1500 completely as a C-19 project, Glacier White Pearl three part paint system using spray guns as my first paint project - always wanted to use spray guns and this was my foray into it. Was told that I picked one of the more challenging paint projects as my first, a white colour with pearl. Took my time, had some oops along the way, but liking the finished result.

Painting my '85 Limited Edition as well. Did a lot of reading to get to where I am, manuals and these forums are your friend. Having mentioned this, taking your time and with a bit of patience, you'll find it's not that difficult. Do a couple and you'll be wondering what all the fuss was about. Good luck. Cheers

Ernest

XJSRider

Post by XJSRider »

Well Bellboy was right again. It took about 5 soaks at 2 min a piece with toothbrush scrubbing in between, but at the end of it all I had reliable continuity without pulling the pins. Put on about 300 miles past two days with multiple start/stops and looks like it is all set!

kwthom
Motorcycle: 2016 GL1800

Post by kwthom »

XJSRider wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 3:10 pm
Well Bellboy was right again. It took about 5 soaks at 2 min a piece with toothbrush scrubbing in between, but at the end of it all I had reliable continuity without pulling the pins.
Great news! :D

Now the bad news - there could well be other connectors that could use some TLC as well. At least you have a process that worked....
• "If I can't fix it, I'll fix it so nobody can!" ● Wait...I no longer have to fix it - I'm retired! :lol: ● Ken (IBA#50030) ● "Get busy living, or get busy dying." -Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption 1994 ● My blog

bellboy40

Post by bellboy40 »

I glad to hear you finally got that connector clean enough to work properly. Good job. Now on to the next problem area. 😀

Rednaxs60
2008 GL1800 (sold)

Post by Rednaxs60 »

Love it when a plan comes together.

Ernest