Another Cardboard Test Result

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
XJSRider
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500A

Another Cardboard Test Result

Post by XJSRider »

Failure!

I'm able to completely cover the intake with no noticeable change in RPMs and not killing it!

I removed the "duct" with the hot air door and the actuator. The door was closed. I could push it open but it would close itself, the diaphragm seemed fine. After I removed the duct I tried the test against just the air box same result.

In the attached diagram, my green tube was not connected. I was also missing the gaskets on either side of the air filter. The filter housing seemed to be pretty tight and that green tube can't have an ID more than 1/2" so I was very surprised the motor would still run with me covering the intake completely! The other two hoses were connected. Do you think connecting the green hose and replacing the gaskets will get me to "pass" the cardboard test?

I had some strange scratches on top of the carbs wonder what the story is with that?
Attachments

XJSRider
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500A

Re: Another Cardboard Test Result

Post by XJSRider »

PS the oring part in my scratch picture that makes the seal between top of carb and bottom of air box... Not sure if I found it parts fiche. Mine look a bit tired I'm either going to flip them over or replace.

Part 9 in this link? Seems a little steep.
https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/honda ... retor-assy

Elmobile
Motorcycle: 1990 GL1500SE

Re: Another Cardboard Test Result

Post by Elmobile »

I run into this problem where the seals were missing on either side of the air filter. I put the K&N the PO had before back on and the cardboard test worked as it should. A combination of the green hose and air filter seals missing would let it breathes enough for this test...
On a side note, with the K&N, the throttle response is much better and I improve my gas mileage by about 0.3l for 100 kms... only 3 tanks but it seems to be better.