Timing belts and brakes

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
Old Buck
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE

Timing belts and brakes

Post by Old Buck »

Good day all.
The first part of July I noticed a sound from the timing belt area that I figured might be a tensioner pulley bearing.
My 2000 GL 1500 has about 84k on it and original belts so I did my homework and decided to try to change the belts myself. I followed the tutorial put it back together and started the bike. At an idle it sounded good but reved up to about 3000 rpm it shook like a Harley.
It appeared that I had not got the timing marks lined up properly.
I searched out a mechanic who said he can help me out... long story and about 6 weeks later I have bike that when either the front or rear brakes are applied I get Woof Woof Woof sound. This only happens sporadically and when the bike is warmed up. As well the belts sound good when the bike is first started and cool but after ridden and warmed up when I bring the rpm up to 3000 or more I get a strange sound like the belts are bouncing maybe.
I inspected the front brakes and the rotors and pads appear to be in good condition.
I am now looking at inspecting the belts but struggling with the thought of trying to get the tension correct if needed as per the tutorial I first set the tension using a scale which I found difficult with the sitting on the center stand .
My questions are as follows:
. Is it possible to remove the timing belt cover without dropping the rad hoses again?
. Is there an easier way to check and adjust the belt tension?
. Any ideas on locating the strange font brake noise?
The mechanic who is about 180k away will no longer be working on my bike. I was also billed for two new tensioners and am very interested to get behind the cover to inspect.
Any help from the experts would be greatly appreciated. Two months of decent riding weather gone...Good Goldwing mechanics are hard to find.
Thanks so much
Old Buck

XJSRider
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500A

Re: Timing belts and brakes

Post by XJSRider »

I was unable to set mine with the scale. So what I did was hook the scale I had on something and get a feel for how hard I had to pull down, then just tried to pull the same amount on the belt before screwing in the tensioner. Seemed to work fine, no strange noises. Maybe he didn't lock down the tensioner causing your "bouncing belts" if that is even what is happening.

Stories like this are why I do my own work even if it takes me a long time. I would bite the bullet and open it up and check it yourself if for nothing other than piece of mind. You could do it in one day no problem. I don't think it is possible to get the covers off without disconnecting some hoses, and for the price of the coolant I don't think the added frustration would be worth it.

Woof woof woof sound maybe caliper mounting bolt is loose and pad is hitting? if you spin wheels in the air does it occasionally hit the pads (warped rotor)? If not ridden in a while maybe some rust on the rotors that just needs to go away (ride and drag your brakes for a few seconds at a time). Hope you can figure it out. Don't be scared to check out the timing belts, you can play with tension without removing the belts and jumping time.

CrystalPistol
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500SE/'98 Lehman Trike

Re: Timing belts and brakes

Post by CrystalPistol »

The timing belt tensioners are just adjustable idlers, the arm they are bolted to has a spring. It is not a calibrated spring, it is not intended to be the proper tension to the idler or belt, they just apply enough pressure to help the mechanic like a third hand. Many believe the springs are intended to apply correct tension because many call the idlers "tensioners". I know they are adjustable to allow tension to be set on the belts but Honda spells out a method for thart adjustment. I know some believe you just let the spring apply tension by loosening the mount bolts, then tighten the bolts ...
... NOT the case. Doing so will more often result in loose belts that flop at lower rpms ... while too tight will cause them to sing at higher rpms.
Make Courtesy your "Code of the Road" …

… & Have a Safe Trip!
:)