Fork maintenance time

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
DarthJ
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500A Aspencade

Fork maintenance time

Post by DarthJ »

Well, like many others here, the time has come to redo the seals in my forks. After putting the bike in the garage in our new (to us) house, I noticed that there was leaking on both forks. Left not as bad as the right, but if you're going to do one, makes sense to do them both. Sprung (pun intended) for the Honda tool for the removal of the caps. I decided not to change the springs out as they seem fine to me (that and had to have electrical and roof work on the house, so......) Read WingAdmin's tutorial a number of times and I have a garage laptop so I can have all the steps. Just need to hit up Autozone for grease, brake cleaner, etc. And Home Depot for a galvanized bucket. (I use it to clean small parts so they don't disappear) Might change the brake pads while the calipers are off.

You ain't lost, you're just somewhere you ain't been before.

XJSRider
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500A

Re: Fork maintenance time

Post by XJSRider »

The copper crush washers on the bottom of mine were bowed so I couldn't reuse them, also the allen screw at bottom of fork that you remove in the tutorial to drain them... one stripped out. Both parts are cheap and cyclemax has them maybe consider picking them up when you get your seals and bushings and stuff

Rednaxs60
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD
1995 GL1500 SE CDN Edition
2012 Suzuki DL1000 VStrom
2008 GL1800 (sold)
Ontario 1985 GL1200 LTD (sold)

Post by Rednaxs60 »

Wouldn't hurt to change out the fork springs with new., The OEM springs have a low spring rate to give the plush, soft ride of a "Cadillac". Spring rates of 1.0/1.1 are much better because of the weight of the bike - you will notice a difference. Your bike's fork springs are some 27 years old, nothing lasts forever. Straight rate or progressive rate is a personal decision. Unless you are really tuned into suspensions, probably would not notice a difference between these. Good for your tires. Cheers
"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen"

Ernest

XJSRider
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500A

Post by XJSRider »

Have to agree with Red for around 100 bucks what a difference for the progressive springs. I put a Blackhawk fork brace on for another 60 and front end feels way better. Something to consider.

DarthJ

Post by DarthJ »

I thought about changing them, but just dropped 6 grand on electrical and roof work for the house.

DarthJ

Post by DarthJ »

XJSRider wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:36 pm
The copper crush washers on the bottom of mine were bowed so I couldn't reuse them, also the allen screw at bottom of fork that you remove in the tutorial to drain them... one stripped out. Both parts are cheap and cyclemax has them maybe consider picking them up when you get your seals and bushings and stuff
I ordered the washers, already planned to change them out anyway. I can get new allens local, so if one gets messed up, I'll get new ones.