my bike is a pogo stick

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
wingdings
Motorcycle: Honda Goldwing gl 1989

Re: my bike is a pogo stick

Post by wingdings »

its - Jon by the way !! - lol - Does your problem happen on a certain stretch of road each time there ?? - Trying to find out here whether its a road problem or not - Also watch this vid too !! - Tyre pressure's can have a massive effect on both handling and the Geomerty of the wing !! - Also those tyre's you have seem to cause a world of pain to a lot a bike riders there !! My friend had them and changed back to Dunlop THE PROBLEM - Just vanished right away !! - That was on a FC6 - valkyrie he also found out that if he did not keep the tyre pressure just right the light handling went straight down the pan !!

- bet you cannot do this with the wing -

Never miss a video: Subscribe to the GoldwingDocs YouTube channel today!

Honda Gold Wing Tire Pressure School

wingdings

Post by wingdings »

wingthing88
Motorcycle: 1988 gl1500

Post by wingthing88 »

Hey Jon. I’m Dave the road doesn’t seem to make an difference neither does the tire pressure this problem has been hounding me for many years. It always seems better with new tires for awhile then comes back after a few hundred miles. I’ve been running the Shinkos for the last couple of years due to financial issues with work. I would really love to throw a set of E4s at it but the cost is prohibitive lol.
wingdings

Post by wingdings »

Hi - Dave - May i ask have you checked out the Anti - dive in that time ?? - Also Dave - Have a look at the following too !! - Steering head bearings - Check them for wear - and they may need retightening and repacking too !! they both carry a lot of weight and do work lose over time.

SEE THIS HOW TOO - viewtopic.php?f=14&t=12367 and Defo 100% - Watch this vid Dave .. I defo think it could be this !! Fella ..

Next !! Dave - What fork brace are you using too ?? super brace or black wing !! - The black wing brace fits much better than the super brace one - Check this out Dave on you tube !! - The only other thing i can think of would be if the bike has took a side impact !! and either the frame is bent or twisted in some way and knocked the back wheel a bit out of alingnment or maybe the swing arm they are bad for rotting out too !! - along with the swing arm bearings wearing out too Dave .. How many miles on the bike Dave ??? :roll: :roll:

Hope this may help fella !! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
jarmoke
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500 SE

Post by jarmoke »

Did you find reason and/or solution for this problem?
wingthing88

Post by wingthing88 »

I never found what I thought would be the cause but I found a problem with my final drive. I replaced my final drive and the pogostick went away. I have a feeling the final drive was toast from day one as alot of noise and vibration that has plagued this bike for the last 10 years went away too.
jarmoke

Post by jarmoke »

What was the problem in final drive, how did you manage to find out it was broken? Or did it get totally broken so that it did not work at all? Was rear tire spinning normally by hands when it was lifted, or did you feel anything strange there...
I have exactly same "pogo stick" problem in my bike, 185 000 kilometers driven (115 000 miles). There is some kind of extra noise when opening throttle, I cannot say if it comes from transmission or final drive....

You said you had also some vibration, was it something which was always there, or at some speed, when opening throttle or same when clutch was pulled... I'm just trying to figure out if I have same problem with final drive as you had, it is quite expensive part to replace "just in case"... ...so I would rather to find out how to check if I have same problem :)
wingthing88

Post by wingthing88 »

One day my honey do list was done and I had some time. So I decided I was going to figure something out and I needed to replace the rear tire. The vibration mentioned earlier really felt like a u-joint always had. Over the years I had checked the joint by pulling back the boot and physically checking it. The joint always looked good. So this time I decided to pull the joint out just to be sure. I pulled the final drive and the shaft stayed in the swing arm pinion joint and all. The threads on the pinion were stripped out. Ended up the pinion joint was wallowed out as were the splines on the end of the pinion. I couldn’t find the parts to rebuild the final drive so I got a used one off of eBay. Problem solved. My bike is an 88 with 140k on it.
jarmoke

Post by jarmoke »

Thanks for your reply 👍
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin »

wingthing88 wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 9:57 am One day my honey do list was done and I had some time. So I decided I was going to figure something out and I needed to replace the rear tire. The vibration mentioned earlier really felt like a u-joint always had. Over the years I had checked the joint by pulling back the boot and physically checking it. The joint always looked good. So this time I decided to pull the joint out just to be sure. I pulled the final drive and the shaft stayed in the swing arm pinion joint and all. The threads on the pinion were stripped out. Ended up the pinion joint was wallowed out as were the splines on the end of the pinion. I couldn’t find the parts to rebuild the final drive so I got a used one off of eBay. Problem solved. My bike is an 88 with 140k on it.
For anyone reading this - those splines should never wear out, as long as proper maintenance (read: applying high-moly grease to the splines) is done. This goes for all splines - on both ends of the driveshaft, and the wheel-to-hub splines as well.
wingthing88

Post by wingthing88 »

This is very true. The splines were well lubed that wasn’t the problem. The nut that holds the pinion joint to the pinion gear had come loose causing the joint to wobble on the shaft. No amount or type of lube could have prevented this. Also pulling the final drive and checking the shaft isn’t in any service manual maintenance schedule that I have come across and I lube the wheel hub splines every time I change the tire (about every two years 20k miles) with Honda lube. I guarantee you on my next tire change which will be this weekend that final drive is coming off and getting checked lol
wingthing88

Post by wingthing88 »

Additionally I wanted to thank everyone for their replies and ideas. I like the sharing on this site where no idea is a bad idea (except maybe darkside tires)😂 I hope no one was offended if I didn’t reply I’m very negligent about opening my emails and the last 9 months have been brutal. Happy motoring everyone!
Crusty1
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE
2007 ST1300A ABS

Post by Crusty1 »

Thanks for the updates. Thank God the rear drive didn’t fail completely while you were riding. Glad you got it sorted.

Chuck
jarmoke

Post by jarmoke »

wingthing88 wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 9:57 am One day my honey do list was done and I had some time. So I decided I was going to figure something out and I needed to replace the rear tire. The vibration mentioned earlier really felt like a u-joint always had. Over the years I had checked the joint by pulling back the boot and physically checking it. The joint always looked good. So this time I decided to pull the joint out just to be sure. I pulled the final drive and the shaft stayed in the swing arm pinion joint and all. The threads on the pinion were stripped out. Ended up the pinion joint was wallowed out as were the splines on the end of the pinion. I couldn’t find the parts to rebuild the final drive so I got a used one off of eBay. Problem solved. My bike is an 88 with 140k on it.
So, did I understand correctly that Final drive itself was OK except "Pinion Joint" was toasted? Was there problem with u-joint (which I believe is part n:o 1 in attached link what you mean)?
https://www.cmsnl.com/honda-gl1500a-gol ... K4RsKgza70
Was the shaft toasted?

I have exactly same symptoms in my bike that you had. I'm just wondering what needs to be replaced, and if I should take it apart and visually check the situation - can i make reliable estimation what is the problem.... ...Or if I just buy used parts (u- joint, shaft, final drive...) and change them... Well, it would be at least cheaper to change Pinion joint to final drive if that is the problem than whole final drive :)
Crusty1
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE
2007 ST1300A ABS

Post by Crusty1 »

A picture of the failed parts would be beneficial.
wingthing88

Post by wingthing88 »

I will try to post pictures tonight when I get off work.
wingthing88

Post by wingthing88 »

To Jarmoke: I would not recommend buying parts based on what I have found. You should thoroughly go through everything on your bike before jumping in and replacing the final drive the only way I found this issue was because I wanted to pull the final to lube all the splines an thoroughly inspect the u-joint out of the bike. When I pulled the final the shaft,pinion joint and all stayed in the tube. That was my first “OH SHOOT” moment. I’m very hard of hearing due to age and environment apparently my wife had noticed that the bike was really noisy and didn’t say anything because it had always been noisy lol. There was very extreme wear on the shaft and pinion joint and the pinion gear itself was worn pretty bad where the joint bolts to the gear. The u-joint looked and felt brand new. I replaced the complete final drive because the parts needed were no longer available. So as I said before rule everything else out first from shock bushings to how your front wheel is installed and torqued when you pull the final drive pull your ujoint to inspect it. With the drive in hand it should rotate smoothly with some mil resistance and not loose or have any play.
jarmoke

Post by jarmoke »

I worked with bike yesterday for inspection. I do not know how it should be, but all splines were quite goo so that they were "tight fit" when rotating. U-joint was feeling really good. Only thing which makes me really wonder is how drive shaft is turning in to pinion joint. I do not know, it might be purposely so, at least the seal is made that way that it makes this kind of movement possible. Drive shaft spline has some mark of use (and it seems to be a bit "wider") at the drive shaft end on spline.
I added my photos and short videos to shared folder for some time (some day I will remove sharing), what is your opinion, should drive shaft move like this in pinion joint or should it be tight fit in sideways also?
https://photos.app.goo.gl/JTNk274MA4xbN9f6A
wingthing88

Post by wingthing88 »

Those splines don’t very good but they no where near as bad as mine were. That side to side movement you’re showing looks excessive. I would like some others opinions before condemning it I’m trying to post some pictures if I can get this internet thing figured out. Computers and I don’t play well together.
Attachments