Naked starting problem.

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
ba7
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 A

Naked starting problem.

Post by ba7 »

Hello :ugeek:

Ive stripped my 1500A naked.
New starter.
Bank angle sensor bypassed by jumping green to redwhite.

Using manual to troubleshoot. Stopped at test a2. Couldnt pass the yellow/red test. It says service wire. I followed it to a single black relay under the seat next to the dogbone fuse there. I took a positive reading off where the yellowred and red yellow wires met. I tried switching the relay with relay one from the main box. Still no power at yellowred at starter relay a.

The other thing i notice is the the right hand starter switch, no matter what the location and order ofnthe cables(white/green and dark green/light green, the top two) i still get a good reading at the relay under the seat

I would really appreciate advice on how to proceed.

Last edited by ba7 on Sat Sep 26, 2020 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ba7

Re: Naked started problem.

Post by ba7 »

Everybody likes photos
Attachments

ba7

Re: Naked starting problem.

Post by ba7 »

ba7 wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 2:53 pm
Hello :ugeek:

Ive stripped my 1500A naked.
New starter.
Bank angle sensor bypassed by jumping green to redwhite.

Using manual to troubleshoot. Stopped at test a2. Couldnt pass the yellow/red test. It says service wire. I followed it to a single black relay under the seat next to the dogbone fuse there. I took a positive reading off where the yellowred and red yellow wires met. I tried switching the relay with relay one from the main box. Still no power at yellowred at starter relay a.

The other thing i notice is the the right hand starter switch, no matter what the location and order ofnthe cables(white/green and dark green/light green, the top two) i still get a good reading at the relay under the seat.
Ok. Update. At the start reverse switch, the colors of the 4 wires are different that what i see ib the 1988 manual A and asp wiring diagram. The manual suggests that yellow red begins at the start reverse right hand switch.

I would really appreciate advice on how to proceed, do i have the wrong manual? Any1 noticed this difference in wire color?

I have also noticed that i may have been working the wrong solenoid. Will update. But the color of wires at the start reverse combination is boggling me. Maybe a take off from a 94?

ba7

Post by ba7 »

Turns out my manual is 94. Any1 have the 88 manual?

ct1500
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500

Post by ct1500 »

With key ON raise and lower the reverse lever which should make that reverse relay under the seat at the crossbar click, does it? Probe for voltage on yellow/red wire at starter relay A which is to the right of battery with key ON and start button pushed. If voltage there next check for voltage on Brown/Red next to it with button pushed, is there? There are parts at the rear of MC which need to be plugged in and connected for the start system to operate especially the 4 diodes that are housed in a rubber boot. Does your fuel pump run (prime) when key is first turned on which will be another issue?
Local and need repair help with your 1500, Valkyrie or ST please click contact
Nothing leaves my shop till its' perfect
This is what I do

ba7

Post by ba7 »

Hi CT.

The reverse relay test u gave me doesnt make the reverse relay under the seat click.

Yellow red and brown red both have voltage when pressing start at relay a(right of the battery. Front of the motorcycle)

I have 5 diodes in a boot.

And 2 of them are missing ( as they had touched the rear wheel as i can see marks and some damage. )

Napa for those?

ct1500
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500

Post by ct1500 »

I use to know the diode number from radio shack, around 10A? IIRC black and silver color, Mouser would be next avenue.
https://www.digikey.com/en/products/det ... -T/1933912

Local and need repair help with your 1500, Valkyrie or ST please click contact
Nothing leaves my shop till its' perfect
This is what I do