Neutral Light Won't TURN OFF!

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
XJSRider
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500A

Re: Neutral Light Won't TURN OFF!

Post by XJSRider »

Mark - Those lines pass throught C32 on their way to the reverse control module. I'm still getting the ground when C32 is completely disconnected. It seems like that part of the diagram is isolated (because C32 is unplugged), no?

I have a trip planned in a couple days I may have to fix this issue with a piece of electrical tape over the dash if I can't get it resolved in a few hours after work today :(

XJSRider

Post by XJSRider »

CT1500 - Yes, gearshift sensor disconnected---> C59 disconnected, C32 disconnected. Lt Grn / Red wire between C59-C32 gets GROUND only when sidestand up.

That Lt Grn/Red wire looks to run between C59 and C32, but also within that connection goes to ECU. Mark thinks reverse circuitry playing a role... but I only see that happening if it is somehow backfeeding into ECU, since it is removed by disconnecting C32. Maybe that last statement is false but I don't think so. Sidestand also goes to ECU and reverse circuitry.

Note that this is occurring with key in OFF.

bellboy40
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE Candy Spectra Red

Post by bellboy40 »

Along the lines of what CT1500 mentioned, try starting the bike and, with the side stand down, put it in gear and see if that kills the engine.

DenverWinger
Motorcycle: (s)
1980 GL1100 STD Vetter (2005-)
1993 GL1500 Aspencade (2017-)
1983 Trav-Lite Camper (2010-)
Past rides
1972 CL350 (1980-1988) sold
1978 Suzuki GS550 (1985-2005) sold
1977 GL1000 (2002-2006) sold

Post by DenverWinger »

With sidestand down things behave as expected, sidestand up is where things go abnormal.

Sorry, I missed the C32 disconnected part.... So rules out the "Back Half" of the circuit. Sounds like you can reconnect C32.

The ECM requires a ground at either the "sidestand up" or "neutral" pins or it won't make spark (like putting in gear with stand down).

You could disconnect the ECM and see if the behavior of the N light changes.

This would allow you to run the engine: Carefully remove the neutral line from the ECM connector (there's a little tab on the connector pin which will allow the individual pin be removed from the connector.) and reconnect the ECM. This should not affect the behavior of the "N" light, but now the engine won't run unless the sidestand is up.

If neutral light behavior returns to normal with the Neutral pin removed from ECM connector that would indicate an internal short in the ECM.
♫ 99 Little Bugs in the Code, ♪
♪ 99 Bugs in the Code. ♫ :(
♫ Take one down, Patch it around, ♪
♫ 127 Little Bugs in the Code. ♫ ♪ :shock:

~Mark

XJSRider

Post by XJSRider »

Bike in gear and running, sidestand down kills it.

XJSRider

Post by XJSRider »

When I disconnect the ECU and run a multimeter from the Lt Grn/Red wire on the harness side of the ECU to ground I get continuity when in neutral and no continuity when I am in gear, sidestand up or down.

Does this confirm a problem with the ecu???

I didn't try pulling the pin the connector to the ECU has the yellow connector with the pins and a black connector that shrouds it, I cannot get the black connector back enought to be able to re-feed pins into the yellow one so I am hesitant to pull them.

As I am typing I realized I didn't try with key on.

With key on, everything connected except the ECU the neutral light works as it should kickstand up or down. So I am 99% sure my ECU is shot.

What years are compatible with my 93? 91-2000?

What a bummer I didn't think these things were supposed to die.

ct1500
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500

Post by ct1500 »

XJSRider wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:08 pm
So I am 99% sure my ECU is shot.
Not so fast. :) I am no big fan of coincidence in that the ECM is suddenly toast after hitting a bump and maybe hearing something rattle off the bike.
The wiring harness is fairly complex on these machines and a fault in one part can show up in a few different ways in other systems such as back-feeding voltage from a faulty diode, unplugged connector, pinched wire or poor ground. You just happen to be in no-mans land right now.
I would take a full inventory of what works and what doesn't in every system from air compressor, lights, self cancel turn, reverse, radio, parking light function, cruise control, ECM ground and everything else in-between to see if there is now any other subtle difference in system performance doing it the dark so you can see faint glows of bulbs, etc. Check your frame ground points. Check all connectors integrity. Start your ECM pin checks such as this one but keep going. Check that the diodes just forward of white four pin coil connector on right side did not fall out. There could be a fault in a system/wire unrelated that connects to the ECM which will show with what you got. An acute visual inspection will often times reveal a wiring fault.
Attachments

Last edited by ct1500 on Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Local and need repair help with your 1500, Valkyrie or ST please click contact
Nothing leaves my shop till its' perfect
This is what I do

XJSRider

Post by XJSRider »

CT- Its funny you mention the other systems. when this problem started my left signal flashed very quickly during the ride home, as if one light on that side was out, but only did it once. I'll test all those pins and check all the systems. I have a long ride planned for the next few days so it may take some time for me to post back. Hopefully she doesn't leave me stranded.

khspe2
Motorcycle: 1991 Gold Wing GL1500SE
1988 Gold Wing GL1500

Post by khspe2 »

Does cruise control work?

XJSRider

Post by XJSRider »

yes 100%
and here are extra characters to meet the limit.

khspe2
1988 Gold Wing GL1500

Post by khspe2 »

Remove the gear switch connector from the connector located above the right side fan. Using a continuity meter, check for ground at each wire on the switch side of the connector.

I have a 91SE, but there should be 3-6 wires in this connector. Each wire is for a gear, however earlier models only had 3 wires (Neutral, Fourth, Fifth)

First test - check for ground continuity on each wire while the bike is in neutral.
Second test - put bike on fourth gear and re-check all terminals for ground continuity.
Third test- put bike in fifth and check all terminals for ground continuity

For each test, there should be only one terminal with ground continuity, and the terminal with ground continuity will change for each test. If you have ground continuity on more than one terminal for any test, the ground issue is in the gear selector switch.

This test isolates the ground for the gear switch connector.

khspe2
1988 Gold Wing GL1500

Post by khspe2 »

Also not that the neutral light should go off when you separate this connector.

Sidcar
Motorcycle: 1995 GL1500 SE (20th Anniversary) and Squire RX4 sidecar

Post by Sidcar »

OMG!!! :o :o :o
Having nightmares just following this post.

Sid

XJSRider

Post by XJSRider »

Khspe2-
All leads from neutral switch ground when they should and not when they shouldn’t. The light actually stays on when I remove that connector because it is grounding out farther upstream.

The bike and I are actually In Tennessee right now, Chattanooga, headed for deals gap in another day. Everything seems to be running fine except the light staying on...

Will troubleshoot some more when I get back. Wish I had a friend with one to borrow their ECM to swap in to see if problem goes away.

Really fell in love with this bike after the first 2000 or so miles. Rides like a dream and gets lots of compliments from older guys who used to have one.
Attachments

XJSRider

Post by XJSRider »

OK back from a 2800 mile ride, carefully watched all the lights, tried to find other problems that may be tied to my light staying on. I only noticed 2 things:

1.) Dash lights "breathe" a little bit... pulse brighter a touch.. especially the neutral light. Only really noticeable at night.

2.) Emergency flashers only light up Left Hand signals... Is this normal? No right side?

bellboy40
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE Candy Spectra Red

Post by bellboy40 »

No it is not normal for only one side to flash with the emergency flashers. The trouble is almost certainly in the emergency flasher button. Take it apart and clean out all the old grease that has likely dried up and causing the trouble.