turn signal auto cancel

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
jdn40
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500 Aspencade Trike

turn signal auto cancel

Post by jdn40 »

is there a way to override or extend the time for turn signal auto shut off ?

Elmobile
Motorcycle: 1990 GL1500SE

Re: turn signal auto cancel

Post by Elmobile »

This is what I did when my turn signal cancelling module gave up:
viewtopic.php?p=343572#p343572
It has work well for me. The only problem is that to cancel the signal lights, you have to push the lever back to center instead of pushing on it.
However even with my winter gloves, I got use to do it this way...
Hope this help,

Cheers.

wingdings
Motorcycle: Honda Goldwing gl 1989

Post by wingdings »

Hi - Saw your post there !! - As far as i am aware this is fixed unit with no way of adjusting it either !! - On my 89k wing they packed up altogether and even when i fitted a new turn cancel switch - it still would not work either !! .

However i did solve the problem by buying a pair of Goldwing Led signal mirrors from Ebay

Here is the eBay item number:183927268741

Now i know when the blinker is on too !! :D :D :D :D :D

Greenwinger
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 SE
Pearl Green and Beautiful

Post by Greenwinger »

A long time ago in a galaxy far far away, I too was annoyed with the self cancel timing. Above the right engine fan is a connecter that has all the wires for the individual gears except 1st(there is no wire for 1st) and these wires are to ground when that gear is chosen, and the wire from the speedo circuit to the self cancel feature( for some reason I seem to remember it was a white wire) before it goes to the self cancel. With the use of a diode and a relay I wired a circuit that interrupted the self turn feature in 3rd and 4th gear. So If I wanted to give lots of warning of an impending turn I just down shift to 4th and the turn signal would stay on forever, or untill I went back to 5th and the normal timing would engage. As I recall it was a pia to get to the connecter above the fan and then tap into the necessary wires, but it has worked flawlessly now for more then 10 yrs. And when I did it I was much younger and easily bored.
The avatar is of me and the Mrs. on the dragon a few years back.

jdn40
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500 Aspencade Trike

Post by jdn40 »

thanks green , but to much work .

Greenwinger
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 SE
Pearl Green and Beautiful

Post by Greenwinger »

Oh for sure!! I kinda got the bug with my 1200 with the notoriously bad alternators, the wiring was the same as the 1500 as far as the gears go. I had a pair of 55w halogen driving lights (long before LED's were anything but panel lights)on the 1200 that were on all the time (except at night) I would find myself at red lights or stop signs forgetting to turn them off while the alternator struggled and failed to keep. So I came up with this idea so that anytime I shifted below 3rd gear it would shut the lights off. I even went as far as to put a small delay timer in so the lights would not flash when shifting from 3rd to 4th to 5th as there is a short lag of no signal in any of the wires between shifts. So I did the same thing with the 1500 but then bought a high amp alternator and changed the driving lights to LED so didn't really need the circuit anymore. Not wanting to waste all the effort I put into using the gear signal wires, I came up with the sefl cancel thing.
I am pretty sure I have almost doubled the number of wires on my 1500 to do silly little things, then the factory had installed. But hey, we all deal with boredom in different ways. :D :D

The avatar is of me and the Mrs. on the dragon a few years back.