Supposedly Aftermarket Lights...?

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
Toxic'Goldwing
Motorcycle: 1998 GL1500 SE

Supposedly Aftermarket Lights...?

Post by Toxic'Goldwing »

Hello,

I just purchased a 1998 GW GL1500 SE, and it seems to have either several burnt out bulbs of more indepth lighting issues. I do plan on upgrading to LED's throughout, however I'd like to make sure that all the original lighting is working prior to attempting the change-over and not knowing if its something I did, or and issue that was already present.

The first thing I'm trying to figure out is the luggage compartment lights. I was told by the bike shop where I purchased the GW that they were an aftermarket light set from Kuryakyn... I have contacted them and was told that they went back 15 years and couldn't find anything about them in their records other than they had sold them through a company called, Lehman Trikes for their light bar kits... Only my GW is obviously not a trike so I'm not sure.

The Green indicates the only ones that work, the Purple was the one I installed new bulbs into. Before I go tearing these off trying to find a fault, I was trying to see if these lights were wired in series, which would explain why the top lens isn't getting power...

Thanks for your time...

Andy Cote
Motorcycle: 2015 Goldwing, basic black

Re: Supposedly Aftermarket Lights...?

Post by Andy Cote »

Welcome to the forum. Where are you from?

Those diamond shaped lights were common years ago. Cobra, Markland, Kuryakyn, Showchrome, Add-On and others all offered them usually in conjunction with those chrome wrap around light bars. Believe they have a couple screws to hold the lens on and they would have a typical small automotive type 12v bulb. The little lighted eagle emblem was the same except I think they are sealed and require more effort to replace the bulb.

Because they are aftermarket, the wiring could be just about anything. If you want to keep the light bars, you are stuck hand tracing the wires back to the factory harness.
2018 Goldwing, basic black

Previously: GL1200 standard, GL1200 Interstate, GL1500 Goldwing, GL1500 Valkyrie Standard, 2000 Valkyrie Interstate, many other Hondas

Andy Cote

Post by Andy Cote »

BTW, the bike looks good from what I can see. More pix? Mileage?

Previously: GL1200 standard, GL1200 Interstate, GL1500 Goldwing, GL1500 Valkyrie Standard, 2000 Valkyrie Interstate, many other Hondas

MikeB
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade
183K Miles
2017 - GL1800 Audio Comfort
10K Miles

Post by MikeB »

The possibility that the lights are wired in series is extremely slim. The last set of lights I saw that were wired in series was Christmas Tree lights so I doubt these are like that.

If you have only one wire coming out of the bulb socket, it is for 12 volt power. The socket base would be the ground. Without looking at the sockets it is hard for me to tell what you have but if you have voltage at the socket and the light is not working, then you have a ground issue to look into.
MikeB
1998 - GL1500 w/184,500 miles ~ 2017 - GL1800 w/13000 miles
USAF Avionics Communications Tech - 18 Years / Flight Engineer C-130E - C-141B - 6 Years. Retired.
Industrial Maintenance Tech - 22 years.
Retired in Tacoma, WA

wingdings
Motorcycle: Honda Goldwing gl 1989

Post by wingdings »

Hi - There saw your post - The lighting bars are the same ones i have on my wing there !! - One set was wired into the brake lights - So when you brake the brake light comes on and that set lights up as well !! - .

They are a bugger to clean too and tend to rust if left uncleaned - On my wing I changed out the bulbs to Led ones to get the screws out of the lens covers These can be a bugger to do as the heads rust out - you will need a very snug fitting screw driver and defo a can of WD40 before you start on those little swine's !!! :x :x :x .

To get at the wiring I had to dis-mantle the inside of the top box to get to the wiring - Your problem will most likely be there or the bulbs . :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea:

On mine someone had used a snap block connector blocks to wire the bar in - These were rusted out and were causing the problem - I had many hrs of putting there handy work right . :x :x :x :x

OH THE FUN OF HAVING A WING !! - LOL .. :D :D :D :D :D :D

bellboy40
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE Candy Spectra Red

Post by bellboy40 »

Oh the fun of having to come behind a previous owner's mess of wiring. Those little snap lock connectors have no business being used on a motorcycle's wiring. They will give you trouble sooner or later. I removed a big pile of added in wiring from my Goldwing when I got it.

Toxic'Goldwing

Post by Toxic'Goldwing »

Thanks for all your inputs! I believe the bike had been garage because that one lens I change the bulbs to the screws came out nice and easy and had very little surface rust. Looks like I'll be spending part of this winter doing some wire hunting... LoL

Toxic'Goldwing

Post by Toxic'Goldwing »

To answer your question Andy, it presently has 58,000 and change.... in New Hampshire...

Andy Cote

Post by Andy Cote »

Sharp looking bike.

Welcome (again) neighbor.

wingdings
Motorcycle: Honda Goldwing gl 1989

Post by wingdings »

I totally agree with you 100 % - Why oh why people hack into the main wiring loom and put in a birds nest of add on wiring is quite beyond me - And using those connectors too !! - I call it hair grip wiring !! - lol .

When I got my wing - It had birds nest wiring everywhere !!! - It looked like a scene from close encounters of the third kind to blinged to death with chrome and lights and a funny name wrote on the side - Sorry it all had to go !! .

Currently the trend over in the UK is for a clean plain Jane factory looking bike no bells and whistles and no birds nest wiring or hacked main loom !! .

Lastly - Its a Goldwing for gods sake !! - People with stop and look at you anyway - As you go by !! . Makes me think is this the old adage - Of bike bike small **** !! Thing or not lol ..

Anyway cannot stop !! - Going to rip off those light bars !! - God it will make it so easy too - to do the maintenance as well too ..

P.S - if you are going to add bits - i would use this !! - Denali Powerhub 2 Motorcycle Fuse Block with Wiring Harness

watch this vid -

Never miss a video: Subscribe to the GoldwingDocs YouTube channel today!

newday777
Location: Milford NH summer/fall & Oceanside, CA winters(N San Diego) with lots of miles riden between
Motorcycle: 2008 Cabernet Red. Level 4

1983 GL1100A Wineberry 36,000 miles

1975 CB750 K5 Planet Blue 7,800 miles

1976 CB750 K6 Anterris Red 25,000 miles

Past rides
1999A Restored from PO neglect & sold at 19,000 miles

1999SE Totaled by cager at 105,000 miles

Post by newday777 »

Toxic'Goldwing wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:58 am
To answer your question Andy, it presently has 58,000 and change.... in New Hampshire...
Welcome to the wing and to the forum.
Where in NH? I'm from Milford though I didn't get back this summer, still stuck in San Diego.
There is bike nights on Wednesday in Milford at Union Coffee on South Street(Rt 13S) just off the oval. There is one tonight.

Do yourself a favor and get all the added lights off the main harness, especially the plug and play. I've had to repair burnt pins from added loads to the harness. The ground pins are a high failure rate. Honda didn't put large wires in the harness and they get overloaded quickly. Yes your LED swap over will help, but not if there are shorts from poor wiring practices.

This Showchrome fuse panel is relay powered and is an isolator to use to trigger accessories and protect the bike harness. Well worth the $50.

https://cyclemax.com/inc/sdetail/access ... 129/419224

newday777
Location: Milford NH summer/fall & Oceanside, CA winters(N San Diego) with lots of miles riden between
Motorcycle: 2008 Cabernet Red. Level 4

1983 GL1100A Wineberry 36,000 miles

1975 CB750 K5 Planet Blue 7,800 miles

1976 CB750 K6 Anterris Red 25,000 miles

Past rides
1999A Restored from PO neglect & sold at 19,000 miles

1999SE Totaled by cager at 105,000 miles

Post by newday777 »

Check out the fb group of Northeast Moto Society.
The page picture is one of the bike nights at Union Coffee. When ever the roads are clear someone rides.....

https://m.facebook.com/groups/545157688 ... oup_browse