Maintenance while on a center stand - AKA Center Stand Lock

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
Albikes
Motorcycle: 1995 Aspencade SE

Maintenance while on a center stand - AKA Center Stand Lock

Post by Albikes »

So work on my garage find 95 Aspencade SE continues.

In as much as I do not have a MC lift I am working on the floor with the bike on the center stand. Occasionally while working on the bike I find it wanting to roll forward on the center stand and if that is allowed to continue it could result in a very ugly situation as the bike comes off the center stand and ends up on its side against my Capri parked beside it or worse yet on top of me.

Thinking about this scenario I decided to find a way to lock the center stand in place. After a bit of head scratching and poking about I came up with a simple setup that works very well as seen in the photos. below.

The Hook on the stand in the photo is simply attached to the stand on the left side. The strap is then passed under the bike and the ratchet side is attached to the right side heat shield at the front. Pull the strap tight and cinch it a bit with the ratchet. Not too tight, just enough to remove any slack in the webbing and lock the webbing in place. Center stand can not rotate backwards and up as long as the strap remains in place.

I took the loose end and piled it on top of the bike seat area as a way to remind me that the stand if locked down.

blupupher
Motorcycle: 1994 GL1500 SE

Re: Maintenance while on a center stand - AKA Center Stand Lock

Post by blupupher »

I have used a zip tie on the front brake handle, but your way works as well.
1994 GL1500 Goldwing SE

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500A
2004 NRX1800 Rune SOLD

Re: Maintenance while on a center stand - AKA Center Stand Lock

Post by dingdong »

blupupher wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:03 pm
I have used a zip tie on the front brake handle, but your way works as well.
Oh yes, simplicity. I do the same thing.