Adding Bluetooth MP3 module board to RM-1500 radio

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
Oldgreenwing
Motorcycle: GL1500A Aspencade

Post by Oldgreenwing »

Hi, my first post.

I have a 95 GL1500A Aspencade 20th Anv. The old wing gets lots of compliments. The bike does everything I want it to, except bluetooth to my phone. Currently I have an MP3 player with 16GB+64GB of storage and an FM modulator. Both are mounted with velcro to the top of the radio. I want to retain all features of the stock radio and display integration.

FM modulator
https://www.amazon.com/Scosche-FMT4R-Tr ... B004NEUK86
MP3 player
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PRG6QMV/?tag=goldwingdocs-20

It works, sort of... Display is hard to read when moving, it goes into sleep mode and has to be woken up by pressing the on button and then you have to hit the next arrow twice to advance to the next song. Plus the audio quality is not the best with FM interference and it's nearly impossible to ride for more than 25 miles without a station interfering with the FM transmitter, requiring a change of station.

I have read about the Aux-in mod on the sheriart page. https://www.sheriart.net/honda/ and I'm aware that Sierra Electronics https://www.sierra-mc.com/gl1500aux.asp does fine work at very reasonable price and has a mail in service for the Aux-in port job. I am also aware that you can use Bluetooth injection into the antenna port.

I have found that I really like my phone for management of mp3 playing. I can put 50k songs on random and hit next until i'm joy'd with a particular tune.

So with all that said, and if you are still with me.... I have started buying and researching Bluetooth module boards. They range in price from $1.75 to $14.

The m18 is the bare-bones chip to do the job. 3.5v I think with the correct resistor a next button could be wired in.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08GZ7DHHM/?tag=goldwingdocs-20

The Drok 180082 does too much, but does have buttons. but no 3.5mm input.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01FU12QC8/?tag=goldwingdocs-20

These boards were nice. The pairing voice is female Chinglish and I laugh wen it connects. This one has a very quick and automatic pairing. The sound is great and no noticeable noise compared to others.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Y2WR6PJ/?tag=goldwingdocs-20

This board is also nice. I like the buttons and they work. Should be able to de-solder and remote the next button and it would work.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07K7GSRF4/?tag=goldwingdocs-20

This one is 12v, contains a lot of unnecessary things. If you order china direct I've seen them a cheap as $2 with the remote. Not sure if we want to be fumbling with a remote on a wing. Then again the passenger may like it. would have to remote install the IR sensor externally. I'll have this one hooked up later in the week and see how it performs and if it's worth moving forward with. does have a next button that could be remote'd. I'd have no use for the FM function, TF and USB. And the face, so I could strip it down to just the PCB and cover it with some heat shrink.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07SN1PFYC/?tag=goldwingdocs-20

So far, I like this module the best. has 3.5mm inputs/output +Bluetooth and runs on the native 12v. It pairs fast and automatically with only a slight beep. The drawback is there are no buttons.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07P94Z9XR/?tag=goldwingdocs-20

OBVIOUSLY an easy NEXT button is on my list of demands for a Bluetooth module. I'd place the next button on top of the radio for ambidextrous use or maybe on the left thumb near the cb channel switch. I have tested a few of these and the next/prev buttons actually control the player app on the phone.

If it's not 12v module it will need a small buck convertor to step-down 12v to 5v
https://www.amazon.com/Regulator-DROK-C ... B0758ZTS61

So, that's my project, I'm planning to add a Bluetooth PCB module to the radio, injecting into C49 and C50 on the radio's board, with a switch inside near the gas cap to toggle from BT to cassette. I'll probably put a 3.5mm jack on the side of the radio so I can swap these out while testing.

Has anyone gone down this road yet?

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Adding Bluetooth MP3 module board to RM-1500 radio

Post by WingAdmin »

I've done pretty much exactly as you describe, using a small MP3 board from China. Audio output goes through a pair of ground loop isolators and injected (switched via relay) into the radio via the capacitors you mention.

Mine is powered by 3.3v, so I built a small voltage regulator/filter to bring the ~12V down to a filtered 3.3v. It has three buttons, which I wired into a small controller on the left handlebar.

Oldgreenwing

Post by Oldgreenwing »

Wingadmin have you got any pictures of your 3 button controller? I assume you can remove one of the surface mount tactile switches from the PCB board an solder two wires between the board an switch, and still have the same function?

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Post by WingAdmin »

Oldgreenwing wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:03 pm
Wingadmin have you got any pictures of your 3 button controller? I assume you can remove one of the surface mount tactile switches from the PCB board an solder two wires between the board an switch, and still have the same function?
I found the one I ordered and that has been installed on my GL1500 for the last couple of years:

https://www.amazon.com/Comimark-Bluetoo ... ref=sr_1_1

It came with a daughterboard with the three buttons on it, connected to the main board by a small ribbon cable:

I discarded that daughterboard, and connected my handlebar switches (a momentary on/off/momentary on toggle switch for up/down, and a momentary switch for the action button) to that connector.

Oldgreenwing

Post by Oldgreenwing »

Thanks Wingadmin! I have looked at that board a few times in my searches! Now noticing it is 7v-30v. I think I dismissed it because because of the PCB buttons just not looking pretty. I don't use my cb and had thought of taking one of those buttons and wiring it to the board.

Have you implemented the microphone on that board for hands free?

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Post by WingAdmin »

Oldgreenwing wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:34 pm
Thanks Wingadmin! I have looked at that board a few times in my searches! Now noticing it is 7v-30v. I think I dismissed it because because of the PCB buttons just not looking pretty. I don't use my cb and had thought of taking one of those buttons and wiring it to the board.

Have you implemented the microphone on that board for hands free?
The board expects to be connected to a condenser mic capsule, and actually supplies bias voltage for that type of mic. The levels are totally wrong for the dynamic mic used on the Goldwing. Also, coupling the mic and intercom directly to the Bluetooth module gives some incredible feedback noise.

So what I did was put a pair of small dynamic mic preamp circuits on the mic input (from headset dynamic mic to the inputs of both preamps).

The first preamp runs through a decoupling transformer (to break ground loops) and then a resistor to bring it back down to the level that the bike's intercom expects, thus preserving intercom and CB functionality.

The second preamp runs through a second decoupling transformer (again, to break ground loops), through a resistor to bring it to the condenser mic level, and a blocking capacitor to block the bias voltage from the board.

I don't have a circuit diagram for it (I just built it a bit at a time and guessed trial-and-error at resistor values rather than calculating anything. The transformers were just some 1:1 audio units that I had laying around.

wingdings
Motorcycle: Honda Goldwing gl 1989

Post by wingdings »

Hi saw your post there !! - Might this - Help !! :roll: :roll: -

VEBA Car Stereo Radio iPod iPhone MP3 Player Wired FM Mod Modulator Transmitter.

Universal In Car Stereo Radio iPod iPhone MP3 Player Wired FM Mod Modulator Transmitter

Wired FM Modulator for iPod iPhone Smartphones Android & MP3 Devices

This is a universal AUX adapter that allows you to connect any Smartphone or MP3 player, iPod, iPhone etc. to your car stereo, enabling you to listen to your portable music and other audio files via FM radio

Simply connect your Smartphone, Apple product or MP3 player device to the FM MOD with the 1 Metre 3.5mm audio cable provided

The FM MOD connects to the antenna input of your car radio enabling you to experience high quality audio.

Key Features

Universal AUX input via FM radio.
Connect your smartphone, iPod, iPhone, MP3 player to the adapter via a 3.5mm jack. This is then connected to your car radio via FM antenna.
Delivers FM radio quality sound which is far better than cheap wireless FM transmitters that are prone to interference and hiss.
Can be installed in the glove box in order to provide discreet, easy access.
Key Specifictaions

Universal wired FM modulator via standard aerial input
RCA Audio Line Input 1 x RCA
RCA to 1 metre 3.5mm jack included
In-line power filter noise suppressor for improved sound quality
Frequencies 87.9 FM and 88.3 FM
Audio Frequency Response: 100 - 1500Hz
Signal to Noise Ratio: ≥5dB (1 ~ 100KHz)
Stereo Separate: ≥68dB (100 ~ 1500Hz)
Power Supply: 12V DC
Max Current: <50mA

Please Note This is an FM based solution. You will use the devices own buttons to select the tracks and folders.

Installation Tips - Most factory fitted radios have the standard traditional aerial connection and if you have the new fakra type aerial installed then you will require an aerial adapter in order to allow you to install this FM modulator which we can supply at an additional cost. If unsure please contact us before you purchase

BUY ON EBAY !! eBay item number:272607465314

Oldgreenwing

Post by Oldgreenwing »

WingAdmin wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:38 pm
I've done pretty much exactly as you describe, using a small MP3 board from China. Audio output goes through a pair of ground loop isolators and injected (switched via relay) into the radio via the capacitors you mention.

Mine is powered by 3.3v, so I built a small voltage regulator/filter to bring the ~12V down to a filtered 3.3v. It has three buttons, which I wired into a small controller on the left handlebar.
WingAdmin

I got the Sheriart mod completed today on the radio and was putting things back together when I decided to do some testing. The Bluetooth module has hum and beeping in it when connected to the bike power/radio.

If I plug the 3.5mm jack directly in to the phone, it's crystal clear and silent when on pause.(phone is isolated, running on battery) I tried a few other modules and experienced the same when running the chip off of bike power. If I power the modules with a spare 12v battery, they have no noise. So It appears I have a ground loop isolation problem?

I have ordered a 3.5mm ground loop isolator, hopefully it fixes the problem without a loss of fidelity.
https://smile.www.amazon.com/dp/B0171PQLB8/?tag=goldwingdocs-20

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Post by WingAdmin »

For sure that's the problem. It's extremely susceptible to ground loop noise, and those modules combine the audio and unit ground, so any differential on the ground will come across as audio noise.

That's why I used ground loop isolators (just a pair of audio transformers) to isolate everything.