Frozen 27 MM rear axle nut

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
Albikes
Motorcycle: 1995 Aspencade SE

Frozen 27 MM rear axle nut

Post by Albikes »

So having completed work on the issues on the front end of my 95 SE I moved to the rear of the bike to begin the process of replacing the rear tire.

The last guy that worked on the bike must have used a 1 inch heavy duty truck impact gun to install the axle nut on the right side. I tried using an automotive grade impact gun to remove the nut - No luck.

Next I tried a 1/2 " drive breaker bar with a 4' pipe attached for leverage and all that managed to accomplish was to spin the axle in the pinch bolt on the left side.

Having tried those two I gave the nut and threads a good bath of PB blaster and left them to soak overnight. Will respray once or twice this evening as well.

I can get a screw driver in the hole on the opposite end of the axle but there is not much for the screw driver to butt up against on that side of the bike.

The nut is supposed to be torqued to 80 Ft Lbs Only and I regularly break that free on my cars wheels so this nut must have some gawd awful amount of torque applied to it when last installed.

Anyone run across this before and have a good solution?

I considered heating the nut but unsure about heating the nut in the proximity of aluminum casing and seals etc.

Thanks in advance.

MikeB
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade
186K Miles
2017 - GL1800 Audio Comfort
20K Miles

Re: Frozen 27 MM rear axle nut

Post by MikeB »

I personally have never seen one sieze like that. I'm only familiar with about five or six different GL1500's though.
Perhaps the last installer managed to mess up the threads. Or, it has been through some road salt and the nut has rusted in place.
No mater what happens you may be needing a replacement axle by the time you are finished. Ebay is your friend in that case.

You may have to use heat to get it apart. MAPP gas or Acetylene would be the way to go to generate enough heat quickly. I'd use a helper on the other side of the axle to help hold it.
MikeB
1998 - GL1500 w/184,500 miles ~ 2017 - GL1800 w/13000 miles
USAF Avionics Communications Tech - 1968 - 1986 / Flight Engineer C-130E - C-141B - 1986 - 1992. Retired
Industrial Maintenance Tech - 1992 - 2014
Retired in Tacoma, WA
bluthundr31
Motorcycle: 1991 GL1500 Interstate (Cinnamon Beige)

Post by bluthundr31 »

The 1/2" breaker bar and 4' pipe will give MORE than enough leverage to loosen the nut.

Put that screwdriver, or use a steel rod just "undersized" to fit into the hole in the axle on the opposite side of the nut. BLOCK that rod/screwdriver using a 2X4 or 4X4 that is cut to keep the axle from turning at about 90degree level. You should be turning the nut counter-clockwise which is the same direction that axle should want to turn. Put the Block of wood back behind the rear brake caliper area so that the rod/screwdriver is at about 90 degrees and the block of wood is within an inch or two of the area where the Pinch-bolts and caliper are. The closer the block is to the hole, the less chance the rod/screwdriver will bend.
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin »

All good suggestions. With the axle blocked as mentioned, and after the second application of lubricant....

...speaking of lubricant, I used to use PB Blaster for everything, but I switched to [url=https://www.amazon.com/Seafoam-Extreme- ... ref=sr_1_1]Seafoam Deep Creep[url] a while back, and it's FAR superior to anything else I've ever used.

In any case, if after you get the penetrating lubricant in there and the impact wrench doesn't break it free, I would apply a torch so the flame is directly on the nut, and not near the aluminum, until the nut is good and hot. Then put an ice cube on the axle in the middle of the nut, and quickly give it another knock with the impact wrench.

You might also try a larger capacity impact wrench, if you can get access to one.
Albikes

Re: Frozen 27 MM rear axle nut - Update

Post by Albikes »

Ok so spent this morning fighting with this seized nut. So far score is owner Zero Nut 12. Argghh!

After soaking overnignt with PB Blaster tried the impact on a cold nut - no joy.

Then went to breaker bar with a 4' extension with the axle prevented from turning by a punch supported by a 2x4 going to the shop floor. All that managed to do was lift the entire bike such that had I continued it would have tipped over.

Next was several application of heat from mild to Cherry red nut - still no joy.

Will give it one more go and if no lick will cut the nut off with a zip cutter.

Would love to be able to talk to the gorilla that put this together last time - prior to my purchase.

Stay tumed.
wingdings
Motorcycle: fff

Post by wingdings »

If you can get at the nut cut down one side !! - with a nut splitting chisel two sorts to choose from
s-l1600 (7).jpg

watch the vid -

Never miss a video: Subscribe to the GoldwingDocs YouTube channel today!

eBay item number:361455976023
s-l1600 (6).jpg nut chisel.jpg

eBay item number:121515203446

Hope it may help !! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Albikes

Re: Frozen 27 MM rear axle nut - Final Update

Post by Albikes »

Final Update. - After trying all suggested methods (thank you to all who offered suggestions) I finally have the axle out, wheel removed and tire changed. (Wingdings - Do not have a nut splitter and no where within a hundred miles to buy one)

I ended up having to sacrifice the nut by cutting one side off of it all the way down to the larger flat face.

As you can imagine the axle is now missing some notable amount of threads as well. Even after having cut that much of the nut away I still had to use the breaker with a 4' bar to get the damn thing to release.

I have never in 40 years of pulling wrenches seen a seized fastener like this. One for the books - At least my book.

Now off to source a replacement rear axle and nut.
wingdings
Motorcycle: fff

Post by wingdings »

My - god fella - It has give you some crap !! - You can buy the nut splitters on ebay or any good online tool seller !! there - Good tool to have too !! saves hours of swearing too !! fella :D :D :D :D :D

P.S - There are lots of different types too !! -

Sykes Pickavant Nut Splitter Excellent Condition in Original Box
s-l1600 (8).jpg

s-l1600 (9).jpg

s-l1600 (10).jpg