What is this connector.

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
IanUK
Motorcycle: 1989 GL1500

What is this connector.

Post by IanUK »

Hello All,

Only had my Wing for a couple of weeks, so I am still finding my way around it. It is becoming a bit of a winter project now that weather here in the UK has taken a turn for the worst.

Anyway, to the point. What is the left/smaller connector on the radio (see picture)

I don't have the CB on my Wing and wondered if is connected to that system.

Cheers.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: What is this connector.

Post by WingAdmin »

Both connectors are required for the radio to function. The power, audio, control and LCD connections are spread across both of those connectors.

IanUK

Post by IanUK »

Then why do I have a working radio/cassette but don't have that connector? Strange.

wingdings
Motorcycle: Honda Goldwing gl 1989

Post by wingdings »

Hi - Ian - Saw your post there fella !! - Two -Things here fella !! - First could you please post some pics of your problem their fella !! - A picture speaks a thousand words there Ian plus you get a better response to on here if you do so - Without pics your tying to solve a problem working blind Ian - You cannot do that when work on a Goldwing fella - it will come back and bite you on the arse Ian .

Second - Ian - If you go look on the manual section you can download the radio manual for free Ian and the external wiring manual as well at the same time - That will at least show you what should be there Ian - Yes ?? :D :D .

Lastly !! -

From - what you have said Ian - And bear in mind here - I am working blind Ian - it sounds to me that someone may have tried to add a new radio unit or has been playing around in there Ian - I would strongly recommend that you download those radio manuals and have a gander to see what's there wiring wise !! and " What's missing too - Ian ..

Hope this helps too !! - Best regards - Jon - P.m me too - Ian :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

wingdings

Post by wingdings »

IanUK wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 3:21 am
Then why do I have a working radio/cassette but don't have that connector? Strange.
The wiring may have been hacked or it maybe a different make of radio - Honda had two makers make them for them look on this link /Docs/Honda%20G ... -DDF6B.pdf this is for the 1989 model Ian .. :D :D :D :D :D
Last edited by wingdings on Sun Nov 01, 2020 5:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

IanUK

Post by IanUK »

Thanks for that buddy. I will take some pictures next time I have the radio housing off the bike. I will also download the radio manual as you suggest.

Many thanks.

wingdings

Post by wingdings »

Oh - yes too - Ian the CB - Audio system is run though the Radio audio system Ian - That OME- radio unit does more than just play songs there fella - upgrade the speakers - Yes - rip the bugger out no !! - IMHO on that one Ian - If you are thinking of adding a CB - PRETTY DEAD NOW IN THE UK !! - you can look on the web for a wiring diagram fella - I know there is one on the web somewhere !! :D :D :D :D

IanUK

Post by IanUK »

Cheers wingdings, no real interest in the CB. Like you say, it's dead and buried in the UK unless you are a truck driver. Thanks for the info mate.

wingdings

Post by wingdings »

Not a problem - Ian - Its jon by the way too - P.m me Ian - What are you wanting to do with your wing then Ian just get it running good yes ?? :D :D :D