2000 1500 SE Electrical issue

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
Porkchopcop
Motorcycle: 2000 1500 SE

2000 1500 SE Electrical issue

Post by Porkchopcop »

I shut off the ignition and the headlight stays on. Along with various lights on the dash. Reverse works intermittently. When put in reverse, the bottom dash lights flash. When I shut off, the relay under the seat buzzes. I push the start button several times, the the lights will go off. If I disconnect the relay, it does not affect the dash lights. I had the stealership replace the handlebar start/reverse switch. I replaced the ignition switch (keyed on dash). The left side wire connector under the seat had a burn mark. I cut the wire and did a jumper. This solved the problem for a few months. If I disconnect the wire connector under the seat, the lights on the dash go away. But then I have no lights on the rear. I disconnected the aftermarket side lights on the trunk. No difference. I am going to disconnect the trailer wiring and the aftermarket license plate lights today to see if that makes a difference. I talked to the mechanic at the stealership he said there's a control module under the trunk for the lights. I have seen similar posts on this forum, but haven't seen how the issue was fixed. If anybody has any idea where to look, I am all ears. I bought this Wing is the spring. It is low mileage and don't want to trade it in and take a loss.

Greenwinger
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 SE
Pearl Green and Beautiful

Re: 2000 1500 SE Electrical issue

Post by Greenwinger »

I have no direct fix for your bike, but in my many years working on cars, trucks bikes and all manor of DC electrical things. When so many weird things are happening all at once 92% of the time it is ground related. You may have found 1 ground issue on your mike there may be others.A really common issue especially on bikes, is the previous owner doing a really **** job of adding wiring and accessories. One thing to do is check the bike for any ground wire under a bolt or screw, undo the bolt clean with some steel wool or sandpaper the surface and the ground crimp so it's nice and shiny Then re-attach. I have also added a few more ground wires into the bikes ground system. Your bike is 20 yrs. old, Honda did not use weather tight connectors on the wiring harness in fact they injected most of the connecters with grease in a minimal attempt to keep the moisture out, but over the years it in fact kept the moisture in. One other solution I read(can't remember if it was on this site or not) was to pull apart each connecter block, dip each end into a cup of CLR or similar for a few seconds and watch all the corrosion dissolve away. When the corrosion is gone then dip each connecter into a cup of clean water to wash the CLR away because you don't want to leave it on the wires, then blow dry with an air chuck and re-assemble the connecter.
I have done this with a few of my more easily accessible blocks and seems to work well. I will be doing to more of them as I am doing a major tear down this winter.
These are great bikes, I doubt Honda ever figured they would last this long. Mine is a 97, and with a little luck and TLC I am hoping for another 10 yrs out of her.
Good luck
The avatar is of me and the Mrs. on the dragon a few years back.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: 2000 1500 SE Electrical issue

Post by WingAdmin »

I was just about to say almost the same thing. You say 92% of the time it's a ground fault issue, I was going to say it's closer to 98%. :)

Whenever you see strange, unexplained and seemingly unrelated electrical failures (i.e. turn signal only works when you pull in the clutch lever, etc.) it's virtually always caused by a bad ground somewhere. When a ground is broken (becomes disconnected), you force the current to try to find a different way to ground, and often the way in which that current finds its way to ground (through light bulb filaments, neutral diodes, etc.) can cause what would otherwise be completely unrelated things to malfunction.