Indicator trouble

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
ryan1980
Motorcycle: 1995 GL1500

Indicator trouble

Post by ryan1980 »

Hello all,

I have been repairing / painting an accident damaged GL1500 Aspecnade for most of 2020 :)

I am finally at the assembly process and i noticed that my indicators were flashing fast. I believe this to be because i used LED globes in a couple of the rear ones. Hazard light's flash fine.

I purchased a 12V , 3 pin LED Flasher relay , thinking this would fix the problem, and wired it into the plug under the trunk where the original flasher relay was.

Not only did it not work, I am now unable to get my indicators to work at all, even after re-connecting the original relay.

I did swap relay's with the hazard one, and it work's fine.

I have 12 V at 2 of the pin's , and nothing at the other - can anyone confirm is this correct?

I have also tried swapping the relay near the fuse box for another one but that has also made no difference.

I probably shouldnt of done this but if i join all 3 wires from the plug together an indicator will come on, and not flash. I am able to change from left to right with the switch.

I might also add that when i connect the radio i get the indicator warning lights flashing on the dash.

I would appreciate any advise - desperate to get past this bump in the road and finish my wing!!

Photo of relay which i attempted to fit attached.
Attachments

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Indicator trouble

Post by WingAdmin »

The other problem you're going to discover is that by using LEDs and an LED flasher relay, that your turn signal auto-cancel no longer functions.

I ended up using some load resistors in parallel with the turn signal LEDs to draw enough current for the stock relay to work, and for the auto-cancel to still function.
ryan1980
Motorcycle: 1995 GL1500

Post by ryan1980 »

This really is the least of all my problems - i can live without the auto cancel, but i am desperate to find a solution to my turn signals not working :(
dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500A
2004 NRX1800 Rune SOLD

Post by dingdong »

You could always go back to incondescent bulbs or install load resistors with the LEDs like Admin suggested.
Andy Cote
Motorcycle: 2015 Goldwing, basic black

Post by Andy Cote »

If memory serves me, the plug for the original flasher unit differs from just the common one that many cars use. This matches something you said.

"I purchased a 12V , 3 pin LED Flasher relay , thinking this would fix the problem, and wired it into the plug under the trunk where the original flasher relay was."

Is it possible that this wiring got somehow crossed? Possibly damaged the LED globes? Regardless, I would install traditional 1157 bulbs until we get this sorted.

Up over (as opposed to down under) we usually refer to the flasher unit as just that, a flasher unit. We save the word relay for those things that do switching functions based on voltage to a third trigger wire. We get confused because the GL1500 has many traditional relays doing all sorts of things.

I defer to WINGADMIN but I think a common flasher unit is an electro-mechanical switch controlled by heat, in this case heat caused by current. So the pins are power (12 positive), load (to the lights) and the third is a ground (earth). So I'm not sure what you are reading for 12v at two of the pins. I loaned out my GL1500 manual. I'll try to track it down and see about what should or shouldn't have voltage under the various conditions.
2015 Goldwing, basic black

Previously: GL1200 standard, GL1200 Interstate, GL1500 Goldwing, GL1500 Valkyrie Standard, 2000 Valkyrie Interstate, many other Hondas
okie2ee
Motorcycle: 1992 Honda Goldwing 1500 Interstate
1986 Yamaha V-Max
1994 Yamaha V-Max

Post by okie2ee »

I recently changed all my lighting over to LED and encountered the same problem............I did not want to add the resistors as I have an Interstate model without cruise control.............I installed an automotive flasher relay and modified it by removing a trace on one of the circuit pins on the component that controls the flashing.......I also ordered one of the relays that you pictured in your post.............however, they were not easliy modified...........I used an older style flasher Wagner 7059 Turn Signal Flasher Relay and found the circuit diagram for it and modified it to ignore the low current mode...........while I had it apart I also fine tuned the flashing rate to meet my requirements...........the wiring for the flasher is straight forward, +, -, Load................once you find + in the wiring the rest falls into place.............if you need more info from me, let me know............I do have a picture of the modification to the flasher
newday777
Location: Milford NH summer/fall & Oceanside, CA winters(N San Diego) with lots of miles riden between
Motorcycle: 2008 Cabernet Red. Level 4

1983 GL1100A Wineberry 36,000 miles

1975 CB750 K5 Planet Blue 7,800 miles

1976 CB750 K6 Anterris Red 25,000 miles

Past rides
1999A Restored from PO neglect & sold at 19,000 miles

1999SE Totaled by cager at 105,000 miles

Post by newday777 »

ryan1980 wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 6:47 pm This really is the least of all my problems - i can live without the auto cancel, but i am desperate to find a solution to my turn signals not working :(
Did you find the solution?? You've left this thread hanging which is a bad thing on forums as you are not helping someone else later when they do a search and find this thread unfinished. Part of being on forums is so you can learn to fix your problem and then you respond with what worked so the next person that comes along learns from your thread.