Going Wireless

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
inanyminet
Motorcycle: 1995 GL1500 SE

Going Wireless

Post by inanyminet »

I have a 1995 GL1500 that I want to go Wireless Bluetooth Conversion of my system. Thinking about a Sena conversion freewire, but they have 3 models, which one would be good for a casual rider? Most of the time I ride single. I use a half helmet in the summer and a open face helmet when it gets colder. Is there a wireless headset that I could switch from one helmet to the other? Are there other ways to convert my system other than Sena?

Andy Cote
Motorcycle: 2015 Goldwing, basic black

Re: Going Wireless

Post by Andy Cote »

There are some headsets that you can buy with separate mounts and allow you to move from one helmet to another.

What do you want the headset to do?

Most of the headsets also receive AM/FM and of course all do headset to headset intercom function as well as receive audio from a MP3 source (player or phone).

Do you need to hear another input such as a GPS?

Do you want to intercom to a large network of other riders? Do they have a particular favorite brand?

Is there any reason to connect to the Honda system at all?
2015 Goldwing, basic black

Previously: GL1200 standard, GL1200 Interstate, GL1500 Goldwing, GL1500 Valkyrie Standard, 2000 Valkyrie Interstate, many other Hondas

inanyminet

Post by inanyminet »

I would like to make the Goldwing system Bluetooth to listen to the radio, my XM radio which is switched to the radio and my CB over a Bluetooth headset. The Bluetooth headset should be multi function and able to connect to a few other riders as well. I was looking at the Sena Freewire but they also had 2 other models along with it. Which would be best to use? Are there other products out there on the market to turn the Goldwing system into a Bluetooth capable system?

Charlie1Horse
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200A Aspencade
1992 GL1500I Interstate

Post by Charlie1Horse »

I am only aware of two Sena Freewires. The black/orange is for Harley and the black/red is for the Goldwing five-pin helmet connector. The Sena doesn't have AM/FM but connects to the onboard radio system via the Freewire interface. It also will connect to several other riders within about a one mile distance. With two of the Senas you can use the intercom feature to communicate with your passenger as well. The other unit I started with was the Cardo Scala Rider which has six preset (your choice) FM radio stations and the intercom feature with connect with several other riders the same as the Sena. However the Cardo Scala Rider doesn't have the connectivity to the onboard system so you can't use the CB radio unit, which was why I changed to the Sena because all the riders I am with want to use CB and no desire to upgrade to bluetooth.
Russell

If I don't use Facebook or Twitter, do I still have to do Social Media Distancing????
Those who say it cannot be done should try not to interrupt those who are doing it.

Andy Cote
Motorcycle: 2015 Goldwing, basic black

Post by Andy Cote »

As Charlie1Horse has said, once you say you want to use the Honda CB, your options shrink. In addition to the SENA Freewire, I believe J&M offers a Bluetooth dongle. In either case, you match the Bluetooth dongle to the same brand headset. Most headsets will Bluetooth to other brand headsets but the Freewire is not so accommodating. Very few choices for CB.

Here's the J&M dongle: https://jmcorp.com/JM-BluHub%C2%AE-Dual ... _p_36.html

The Freewire plugs into the Honda connection and a power point and has an option for another audio source and then Bluetooth to the headset.

The SENA SR10 would plug into a SIRIUS, handheld CB, etc. and Bluetooth to the headset. It does not connect to the Honda system.

So this mount keeps the regular wired cable to the Honda connection but adds Bluetooth:
https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/sen ... id=1565838

At that point it becomes a question of what and how many of your fellow riders are using. The SENA will connect to a couple other riders fairly well but if you have a larger group, it would be better to use the SENA mesh which means all users on SENA. The more expensive SENA headsets increase the number of users you can connect to, if you want a built in AM/FM, if you want some level of voice command, etc.

If you search this forum for Bluetooth or SENA you will find several experiences and results.
2015 Goldwing, basic black

Previously: GL1200 standard, GL1200 Interstate, GL1500 Goldwing, GL1500 Valkyrie Standard, 2000 Valkyrie Interstate, many other Hondas

inanyminet

Post by inanyminet »

Thank you both much. I was looking at the sena firewire and sena 20s headset. Will see what other post say on the subject. Thank you again

jbaviera
Motorcycle: 1995 GL1500A Aspencade
2009 Yamaha VStar 950 Tourer (traded for the GW)
1985 Honda VF500C (sold)

Post by jbaviera »

I bought the Sena FreeWire for Goldwing. I already had a pair of Sena SMH5's, but they are one function at a time, meaning, if I'm talking to another rider with it, I have no on-board audio. As I usually ride alone, I seem to have have full on-board audio (though I'm not sure about CB transmit (not a lot of CB activity around here, that or the antenna isn't tuned properly ;) )). I may yet upgrade the headsets to a newer model.
Making sawdust with 100% efficiency!

Solo So Long
Motorcycle: 1989 GL1500
1983 GW Interstate (ready to repair)
A pack of Super Cubs
Formerly (in order):
Honda Super Cub (bought 1968, sold ?)
Kawasaki Coyote (early 1970s)
Honda 350 (mid 1970s)
Kawasaki KZ900-PS (1977)
Honda Super Cubs (various years)
Kawasaki KZ1000C (1978)
Kawasaki KZ1000P (various years, 1980 - 2005)
Honda 360 (1983)
BMW R1150RT-P (2001)
BMW R1200RT-P (various years 2007 - 2018, NEVER AGAIN)

Post by Solo So Long »

jbaviera wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 9:24 am
(not a lot of CB activity around here, that or the antenna isn't tuned properly ;) )).
Just FYI, antenna fine tuning isn't really that important for receiving. If you have an antenna cut for a particular band, it will hear signals in that band if they are out there.

jbaviera
Motorcycle: 1995 GL1500A Aspencade
2009 Yamaha VStar 950 Tourer (traded for the GW)
1985 Honda VF500C (sold)

Post by jbaviera »

Solo So Long wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 12:08 pm
jbaviera wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 9:24 am
(not a lot of CB activity around here, that or the antenna isn't tuned properly ;) )).
Just FYI, antenna fine tuning isn't really that important for receiving. If you have an antenna cut for a particular band, it will hear signals in that band if they are out there.
Kind of thought as much, but like I said, not a lot of activity around to try it out. I'm certain the antenna has never been touched, as I installed a used CB on the bike.

Making sawdust with 100% efficiency!