air forks

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
sledgehammer3
Motorcycle: 1994 GL1500 SE

air forks

Post by sledgehammer3 »

I'm not very proficient on the computer, so I've never been on one of these sites. I have a 1994 GL1500 with air assisted forks. Presently they will not accept and hold air. I assume it's an "O" ring problem. I just left the dealership after picking up a seal kit, and they claim the forks have to sent out due to a special machine. After looking at the diagram, I can't see anything to indicate it's anything other than a normal fork with a few pounds of air added after rebuild. Does anyone have advice? Are there special tools involved? Can this be done on the bench like any other fork? Also I need to know the required amount of fork oil each fork uses.

Andy Cote
Motorcycle: 2015 Goldwing, basic black

Re: air forks

Post by Andy Cote »

Welcome to the forum.

I would find a different dealer/mechanic. Nothing uncommon here.

Sounds like you have worked on bikes before. You should have an owner's manual and a repair manual specific to the bike. Here are the instructions: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=16118&sid=d3a915a3 ... 554e526716

Most GL1500s do not have front air fittings. Those with air forks do not require much air and more than a few seals have been damaged from over exuberant owners. If you have Progressive brand springs, they say to not add air at all. I would go ahead and rebuild the seals and check the springs while they are out. I would probably go with no air at first and only add a bit if you are sure you need it.
2015 Goldwing, basic black

Previously: GL1200 standard, GL1200 Interstate, GL1500 Goldwing, GL1500 Valkyrie Standard, 2000 Valkyrie Interstate, many other Hondas

sledgehammer3
Motorcycle: 1994 GL1500 SE

Post by sledgehammer3 »

Thanks so much for the link. The pictorial information is exceptional and as precise as a video. Can these forks be rebuilt the same as any other non- air fork? I have never needed a special tool to remove or replace the fork cap. I would wrap the fork tube in rubber(inner tube) in a vise. To replace the cap, I would mark the precise position where the threads start on the cap and fork tube. Generally, I could hold enough downward pressure to start the threads. Would this procedure work with these forks also?

Andy Cote

Post by Andy Cote »

These are really no different from other standard forks and It can be done without the Honda tool. Suggest you check the How-To Articles and search for "fork" on the site. There are numerous stories on experiences and some home brew tools and/or techniques for removing and installing the fork caps under spring pressure. Even some videos.

Previously: GL1200 standard, GL1200 Interstate, GL1500 Goldwing, GL1500 Valkyrie Standard, 2000 Valkyrie Interstate, many other Hondas

Andy Cote

Post by Andy Cote »

One other thing. You will find more on this in the various posts but I only use original Honda parts for fork seals. I'm not Greg ;) so I may digress in other areas but the forks take a beating on this heavy bike and IMHO, the aftermarket brands don't stand up

I guess two things. I always replace the bushings when I do seals. Have the parts on hand and it takes two minutes to put the new ones in. Maybe the ones in there are fine but why worry? It's like timing belts. Honda says inspect them. Well if you get to the point of being able to look them over, it takes ten extra minutes to pop new ones on.

Andy Cote

Post by Andy Cote »

Just curious. Did you do the rebuild of the forks yet?