carb sync help

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
aj1500
Motorcycle: 02 ABS 1800
97 1500 SE
Motorvation II sidecar
Double Dark Side # 1522
Goodyear Fuel max 175/60 R16
PILOT ACTIV 130/70 18
USCA# 8913
96 Aspy 1500 W Lehmann trike

carb sync help

Post by aj1500 »

I have been searching high and low and can't find a good video or a good step by step on how to sync the carbs on my 1500. I had the carbs rebuilt by a rep vendor and feel they did a great job but they could only set it up on a bench. I feel certain they are out of sync. the issue I am having is once it's warmed up it has a healthy hesitation on the low end until you get close to 3K when under a load as in taking off it wants to stall unless you crank the throttle, but once it's moving it does good, the hesitation is still there but not enough to stall the bike. it pops a little on decel but not bad
it will idle good and has strong accel when just sitting there. also it seems to run worse when to motor is cooler. this past weekend we were in the mountains and when we would drop down in the valley it would start hesitating more. I added some pre filter foam over the intake horn and it will run a little better but still hesitates at low end. I am getting a sync kit but need a good guide to go by to get it right. any help will be greatly appreciated

ct1500
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500

Re: carb sync help

Post by ct1500 »

A proper bench sync would put it very close to correct and all things equal it should run fairly well out of the gate without all those symptoms.
A lean running engine at sea level will appear to run better at altitude.
Sorry I can't help with the tutorial but is easy to do and covered in the manual I believe.
Local and need repair help with your 1500, Valkyrie or ST please click contact
Nothing leaves my shop till its' perfect
This is what I do
wingdings
Motorcycle: Honda Goldwing gl 1989

Post by wingdings »

Carburettor Synchronizing/Balancing on Honda GL1500 Goldwing

Never miss a video: Subscribe to the GoldwingDocs YouTube channel today!

New Motorcycle Carb Carburettor Vacuum Balancer Gauge 4 Cylinder Gauges Kit Set

eBay item number:383692788820

https://www.goldwingfacts.com/threads/c ... st-1348672

Hope this helps there !! -

However I do Agree with CT1500 - You would serve yourself very well by watching this video too - It explains the seven - Yes I did say seven induction systems that are both on your wing and how they are all linked together too and what the colour coding is for on the hoses and which part of the system it relates to as well which make your wing work if one part of the system goes down it causes problems in other parts - (chain reaction ).

Motorcycle Induction Systems Goldwing GL 1500

Never miss a video: Subscribe to the GoldwingDocs YouTube channel today!
aj1500
97 1500 SE
Motorvation II sidecar
Double Dark Side # 1522
PILOT ACTIV 130/70 18
USCA# 8913

Post by aj1500 »

Thank you for your thoughts and advise, I will watch the Vid again and try to get a good grasp on all of it this time
I need to give better detail of my explanation of what it is doing as I don't think I said it correctly. It isn't actually hesitating but rather unable to hold a steady low RPM from sitting still ONLY once the bike is moving I can let the RPM drop and it will throttle up just fine, and that is when it will hesitate a little until the RPM's get to about 2.5 to 3K . what happens is I crank it cold using the enricher and it warms up just like it should, running nice and smooth, then once warm, which does take longer than my 97 it will idle good, tiny surging but runs good. so then if a try to raise the RPM slowly to lets say 2K and hold it there it will go up there smooth but after about 2 to 3 secs it will just begin to stall out and if I ease off the throttle it will recover for a second then begin to stall again. if I don't accel or just let off at this point it will die. so cracking the throttle gently off idle is where it all goes bad.
I have replaced a couple vacuum hoses to include the one with the 90 bend, I inspected as close as I could and used starting fluid to test for other leaks and didn't find any.
aj1500
97 1500 SE
Motorvation II sidecar
Double Dark Side # 1522
PILOT ACTIV 130/70 18
USCA# 8913

Post by aj1500 »

just an update. I got an opportunity to work on the bike this weekend, but at now looks like my troubles go deeper than a simple adjustment. I will need to do some more searching to see what I can find.
when I adjusted the lean mixture it made matters far worse. if I adjust it even a little it won't idle, I can't adjust the idle with the thumb screw as it will cause it to die rather than raise the idle
it's like it is getting too much air, if I restrict the air flow I can get it to run smooth and accel as it should but that isn't a fix.
I did make a set of adjusters that I think came out rather nice and allowed me to make the adjustments with minimal plastic removed
so I'll keep searching and post an update as I have one
Attachments

Elmobile
Motorcycle: 1990 GL1500SE

Post by Elmobile »

aj1500, could you give us more details as to how you modify the air mixture screws. I really like the idea on putting an extension to them so that we can easily adjust them without having to reach deep inside.
aj1500
97 1500 SE
Motorvation II sidecar
Double Dark Side # 1522
PILOT ACTIV 130/70 18
USCA# 8913

Post by aj1500 »

in my case I simply made 2 tools to let me get in there to the screws while standing over the carbs. I got the idea from a post I had found where someone had bought 2 new idle mix screws and soldered a braided wire to the screw and put a knob on the other end. I didn't have the time to do that so what I did was get some braided wire, I soldered a very small screw driver bit on one end and put a knob on the other so I could turn them. my carbs were just rebuilt so the screws were replaced with flat slotted screws rather than the D bit screw. I was able to just remove what you see in the picture, turn the handlebars all the way the the left, then feed the bit from right at the steering stem back to the carb on both sides. what was good was I could look down on the wire and bit and see how much I was turning it which made getting the setting easy. I just wish that was the issue cause it looks like I did all that just for the sake of learning how to do it ;)
aj1500
97 1500 SE
Motorvation II sidecar
Double Dark Side # 1522
PILOT ACTIV 130/70 18
USCA# 8913

Post by aj1500 »

some good news, I made some progress last night. I decided to reset the air mix screws back to factory starting setting of 2 turns out, then rather than opening them more I closed them about a 1/2 turn leaving me at 1.5 . I did this before even starting the motor. I started and let it warm up and once warm it was idling with carbs uncovered and choke off and I was able to adjust the idle with the thumb screw. I carefully adjusted the mix back and forth to get what felt like the best idle, ended up about 1 3/4 and then I tried giving gentle throttle, there was a tiny hesitation but it came up nice, then I put the little pieces of pre filter I have over the carb bowls and the idle smoothed out even more and the easy throttle got better. so I left it there and will go back and run it again to test it to see if it continues to run as well before I put the filter assy back on. I did plug the vacuum hose from the fuel petcock and couldn't tell any difference
aj1500
97 1500 SE
Motorvation II sidecar
Double Dark Side # 1522
PILOT ACTIV 130/70 18
USCA# 8913

Post by aj1500 »

so the above comments turned to be false hope again. so after that I called and spoke with Bear @ Bears Cycle shop who built the carbs for me, I had spoke with him a few times and he offered ideas as did many of you here
after this last issue we talked and I asked if he knew anything else I could or should check, at that point he said he was going to build up another set of carbs and send them, this way I could eliminate that as a possible issue or fix the problem. I was impressed that he just offered and sent me another set of carbs without knowing for sure that was the problem. Well as it turns out the new carbs worked and now the bike is running great.
I want to thank everyone here that tried to help me with suggestions. I want to give Bear a big Thanks for 1 for having a mail in carb rebuild service, and for standing behind his work and being a straight stand up guy by taking care of his customers. I for one would use his services again if I were to need them and will recommend him to others
bellboy40
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE Candy Spectra Red

Post by bellboy40 »

It is refreshing to hear of a business that will stand behind their work and give you great customer service. All too often all we get is poor customer service and/or shoddy work with overpricing.