saddlebags

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
hickeybond
Motorcycle: 1991 gl1500 interstae

saddlebags

Post by hickeybond »

has anyone had problems with how the saddlebag lids close, mine close and they do lock, but they seem not perfectly flush. i did have the saddlebag off to do a caliper rebuild. when i put the bag back on, it seems like it was out of kilter! is there a way to readjust the lids so they fit flush? my bike is a classic 1988 grey wing. thanks for any help.

Andy Cote
Motorcycle: 2015 Goldwing, basic black

Re: saddlebags

Post by Andy Cote »

I do believe the latches are adjustable but if all you did was remove and reinstall the assembly, I would check that everything is back in place before making adjustments. It should not look different than it did before.

It is 30+ years old and things get tweaked and out of kilter so it's possible that the pannier was holding some stress when you removed it and did/could not go back exactly as it was. Just suggesting you check everything you did before going for the adjustment.

BTW, there is a service bulletin (GL1500#4) that revises the seal on the saddlebags. That bulletin even says that adjustment may be necessary after the seal modification is done.
2015 Goldwing, basic black

Previously: GL1200 standard, GL1200 Interstate, GL1500 Goldwing, GL1500 Valkyrie Standard, 2000 Valkyrie Interstate, many other Hondas

hickeybond

Post by hickeybond »

thank you sir..will look at it a little closer now

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin »

You can loosen the fasteners and slide them in and out to adjust the tightness of the door when it is shut and latched.

hickeybond

Post by hickeybond »

when you are talking about the fasteners, are you referring to the top where the locks are that the rod fits in to lock, or are you talking about some other fasteners? thank you for helping also

4given
Motorcycle: 1996 Honda GL1500 Aspencade

Post by 4given »

There are 2 square loops at the top of the lid that slide into the latches and they are fastened into slots that make the hooks adjustable.
“Fight the fight and do what is right“

hickeybond

Post by hickeybond »

i will check that sir when it gets a little warmer here in the next few days

FM-USA
Motorcycle: mc's

Post by FM-USA »

WOOOooo... I went through this few years ago.
BEFORE doing all this below, check the covers hinges and your sig-other that nothing was under a hinge curved tube when closing. They do bend relatively easy. To check this, ALMOST close the lid and check the top surface of the lid and saddlebag is as level as possible. Check fore & aft surfaces also.
I did this backwards and did the loop hinge adjusting 3 times until it dawned on me the hinges could be bent, they were. Over packing destroys the lids side light. (replaced twice on 'HER' side :roll: now going on 3! :evil: )
To start, check the rubber seal to be even all the way around.
Use paper tape over the latch hole as centering reference, dab of grease on the loop will transfer easily. this shows if the loop is too high or low. If it looks really close, skip this.
When you're adjusting those latch loops do be sure to start with the loops a little further out than the other side, use it as a reference starting position.
Snug the loops screws barely over snug and test. Barely over snug allows you to hammer tap each loop in by really small increments.
Again use other side as reference to how closed the cover should be. Too tight and you'll need to push the door closed by hand while pulling the latch.
All this can be tedious but being able to close the lid with a gentle push (not a slam) and hear CLICK-CLICK, quite satisfying. 2 CLICKS and you're pretty safe knowing the lid won't open while riding. (been there, GRRrrr)
I'm hounded for posting helpful solutions? ARGO!!! (2012 film)
"Let's see how long this round will last."

newday777
Location: Milford NH summer/fall & Oceanside, CA winters(N San Diego) with lots of miles riden between
Motorcycle: 2008 Cabernet Red. Level 4

1983 GL1100A Wineberry 36,000 miles

1975 CB750 K5 Planet Blue 7,800 miles

1976 CB750 K6 Anterris Red 25,000 miles

Past rides
1999A Restored from PO neglect & sold at 19,000 miles

1999SE Totaled by cager at 105,000 miles

Post by newday777 »

hickeybond wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 12:48 am
has anyone had problems with how the saddlebag lids close, mine close and they do lock, but they seem not perfectly flush. i did have the saddlebag off to do a caliper rebuild. when i put the bag back on, it seems like it was out of kilter! is there a way to readjust the lids so they fit flush? my bike is a classic 1988 grey wing. thanks for any help.

You didn't specify where on the lid that it wasn't fitting flush that you want to adjust.

Can you post a picture to show where you are referring to?

hickeybond

Post by hickeybond »

when i get back into town i will post some pics