Gl1500 reverse gear problem

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
vinny
Motorcycle: gl1200 sei

Gl1500 reverse gear problem

Post by vinny »

Hello, I have recently acquired a 1998 GL1500.
It has been sitting in a shed the last seven or eight years, but been started regularly,
It needs tyres, belts, full service ,calliper's overhaul, etc.
the previous owner says he reversed it into the shed, but i cannot get reverse to work,,
So, with the bike started, reverse handle pulled up, "R" lit on the screen, when i engage the started button i can hear the motor turning, , but the bike wont move, any suggestions please before i have to pull off the starter.

bellboy40
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE Candy Spectra Red

Re: Gl1500 reverse gear problem

Post by bellboy40 »

It could be that the reverse cables are out of adjustment or maybe one is broken. Here is the service manual page that tells how to adjust them.

Reverse cable adjustment
Reverse cable adjustment

vinny

Post by vinny »

As i have all of the tupper ware off, i can see that all cables are intact , i didn't check the alignment marks yet.
Is it possible that the reverse gear is broken?
vinny

Post by vinny »

All alignment marks are good.
vinny

Post by vinny »

Ok. i have had a good look at it, and everything seems to be doing its job,
Down so far as placing my hand on the starter ,while operating the reverse, and i can feel and hear the starter working.
IT feels like, that some gear being used for reverse, is not engaging with the starter,
is there a bendix style gear that engages when operating the reverse,?
bellboy40

Post by bellboy40 »

vinny wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:41 pm Ok. i have had a good look at it, and everything seems to be doing its job,
Down so far as placing my hand on the starter ,while operating the reverse, and i can feel and hear the starter working.
IT feels like, that some gear being used for reverse, is not engaging with the starter,
is there a bendix style gear that engages when operating the reverse,?
No, there is a reverse gear that is engaged when you pull the reverse lever up. It does sound like there is a problem with that gear being engaged or it is broken. That is bad news if it is the case. That is an engine out job to remove the rear cover and repair broken gears.
Do you know if anyone has had the starter out? If you don't get the starter gear engaged when putting it back in place you can break the reverse idler gear when torquing down the bolts to get the starter back in. See if can turn the rear wheel by hand when you have the reverse lever pulled up into reverse position. You should not be able to turn it if you are in reverse. If you can, then something is amiss inside the engine.
vinny

Post by vinny »

Well, i at least know the problem, Reverse idle gear is broken. :cry:
I know that engine removal is the only way to carry out the repair, but can the carbs and throttle be left on place,.
bellboy40

Post by bellboy40 »

I have never pulled the engine from a GL1500, so all I can tell you is what is in the Honda service manual. It says the carbs have to come out along with a bunch of other stuff. Do you have the Honda Service Manual? it would be very useful when trying to remove the engine.
Farflungblue
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500A Aspencade, 2003 GSX1400K3, 1981 GSX1100ET, 2004 GSXR1000K4

Post by Farflungblue »

Hi Guys (& Gals),
Having recently purchased a 1996 Aspencade I’ve been following Goldwingsdocs for a lot of useful information.
The issue/problem I’m interested in at the moment is the reverse gear operation and I’m just trying to understand the mechanisms involved before an invasive check.
Symptoms are everything does as it should when engaging reverse gear but when the starter is pressed the starter motor spins seemingly without resistance and no drive to rear wheel.
Bellboy40 mentioned checking whether you are able to turn rear wheel when reverse engaged and this has been done and found engaged ( it’s not able to be moved apart from some limited backlash through the gear train which would seem normal). This leads me to believe the idler gear is still intact and not broken as some have experienced. So my thoughts are possibly the reduction gears for the reverse system in the actual starter itself being broken stripped etc. However, I have found limited information on this and other sites ( and internet in general) so wonder if it’s a rare event or because Honda do not list the reverse reduction mechanism as separate parts thus necessitating whole assembly or starter purchase to resolve. I’m a mechanical engineer by trade but appreciate the complexity and extent of a engine out job, should it come down to it, thus hopefully someone may shed some light on this so to avoid?