Position Lights (beside the headlights) not working

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
bri720a
Motorcycle: 96 GL1500SE & 03 VTX1800r

Position Lights (beside the headlights) not working

Post by bri720a »

I am continuing my resurrection on my new to me 98 GL1500se - the position lights (along side the headlight) are not working. :?

I am not getting any power to the #7 position relay with the key on or with the bike running in neutral. I used my multi-meter to test all combinations of the pins where the relay plugs in. With 0 voltage readings. Headlights work, high and low, position bulbs have been replaced, brake lights work and all fuses are good and have been tested. I am stumped.

I do have most of the plastic off the bike along with a number of the side lights, driving lights, saddlebags etc. but I do not believe that should make a difference?

Is there anything that may be preventing the #7 position relay from getting power/working or where I should be testing/looking for an issue?

Thank you in advance.
Brian

bellboy40
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE Candy Spectra Red

Re: Position Lights (beside the headlights) not working

Post by bellboy40 »

Try swapping the #5 Air Pump relay with the #3 Tail/Main relay and see what happens.
bri720a

Post by bri720a »

I will try that! I did not realize that the #3 relay might have something to do with the position lights.

The wiring diagram I have is a poor digital scan so it is difficult to read even blown up on the computer.
ct1500
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500

Post by ct1500 »

The position relay is a function of the turn signal switch. It shuts down the steady burn running light within the turn signal bulb when turn signal is activated. The position lights beside the headlight are a different circuit.
Do your instrument lights work with key ON along with side stand light when stand down?
Local and need repair help with your 1500, Valkyrie or ST please click contact
Nothing leaves my shop till its' perfect
This is what I do
bri720a

Post by bri720a »

That clears up a lot of things. 🧐
I am not sure and will have to check the side stand and instrament lights. I have not noticed because I've been in the garage with the door open lights on and sun shining in. I "think" the side stand light lit up but I have not used it so I'm not sure. I will have to check tomorrow.

I'm assuming those are all on relay #3 then?
bellboy40
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE Candy Spectra Red

Post by bellboy40 »

bri720a wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:52 pm That clears up a lot of things. 🧐
I am not sure and will have to check the side stand and instrament lights. I have not noticed because I've been in the garage with the door open lights on and sun shining in. I "think" the side stand light lit up but I have not used it so I'm not sure. I will have to check tomorrow.

I'm assuming those are all on relay #3 then?
You would be assuming correctly then. That relay #3 has a lot of lights and indicators going through it.
bri720a

Post by bri720a »

I have lights for the guages and the side stand light comes on with side stand down and key on. I did replace the #3 with a kniw good relay just to be sure.

Still no position lights. :roll:
bri720a

Post by bri720a »

Apparantly the PO had some other type of lights installed and did away with the position lights working at all. The power wire aas clipped and was used to trigger a relay tucked behind the battery. Although there were no wires running from the relay anylonger....

Thank you for all the help so far! I am sure there will be more questions to come.

Brian
bri720a

Post by bri720a »

It is actually a lot worse than I thought.... :shock:

All of the marker/running lights have been taken out of the stock wiring harness by the wires being clipped and new wires being added. (Verry well hidden and done decently well except for the no rhyme or reason to type or color of the wires) They were then run through 2 seperate relays to 2 switches (I thought the switches were just for the LED glow lights that were added). It will be more than a few hours of removing wires, soldering and heat shrinking. 😫