Headlights Not working GLSE

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
bentleyss
Motorcycle: 1999 cbr1100xx Blackbird,
1995 GL1500 / Hannigan 2+2 sidecar

Headlights Not working GLSE

Post by bentleyss »

Headlights Not Working GL1500SE

I have a 1995 GL1500. The other day noticed the Headlights did not come on when starting and after running. Checked relays in box and all good. All fuses in fuse box good. Put bike in reverse and headlights came ON. Wiggled and cleaned neutral switch, reverse switch, connections. Still NO lights until I pressed in the reverse switch button and the headlights come on. I had just replaced the neutral, reverse, starter relay switches (A & B) this summer. Not an electrical genius herre so any suggestions appreciated. Bike starts and runs fine, neutral light comes on but NO headlights unless I hit the reverse lever up or now that the side covers off , when I depress the reverse switch button. Any help appreciated.. Thanks..

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Headlights Not working GLSE

Post by WingAdmin »

bentleyss wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:25 pm Headlights Not Working GL1500SE

I have a 1995 GL1500. The other day noticed the Headlights did not come on when starting and after running. Checked relays in box and all good. All fuses in fuse box good. Put bike in reverse and headlights came ON. Wiggled and cleaned neutral switch, reverse switch, connections. Still NO lights until I pressed in the reverse switch button and the headlights come on. I had just replaced the neutral, reverse, starter relay switches (A & B) this summer. Not an electrical genius herre so any suggestions appreciated. Bike starts and runs fine, neutral light comes on but NO headlights unless I hit the reverse lever up or now that the side covers off , when I depress the reverse switch button. Any help appreciated.. Thanks..
This is normally caused by a dirty start switch. The start switch turns off the headlights when you press it in, and if the contacts get worn or dirty, it can cause this problem. Next time it happens, try wiggling the start switch around and see if they come back on. Incidentally, you can safely run the starter in your bike even if the bike is running (it's not like a car where it will grind the starter on the flywheel).
bentleyss

Post by bentleyss »

Took apart throttle switch and cleaned everything, still no lights unless reverse switch is pushed in. Could start switch be bad and still allow no headlights or should I look elsewhere? Bike starts up fine.
Attachments

bentleyss

Post by bentleyss »

Just went out and realized switch comes fully apart. The contact points were filthy. Cleaned up with scotch rite an contact clean. Snapped plastic but JB weld should be good will replace and try again
Attachments

bentleyss

Post by bentleyss »

Contacts not the problem. Just tested and NO headlights????
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin »

The fact that the headlights come on when you shift to reverse, says that the problem is definitely isolated to the starter switch or the wiring/connectors going to/from that starter switch.

Have a look at the schematic for it:

Headlight Circuit
Headlight Circuit

It could be in the connector C57:

Connector C57
Connector C57

But in all likelihood, the problem is in that switch. If you short out the brown/red and blue/white wires going to the starter switch, and the headlight turns on, then you know for sure that the problem is the switch itself.
bentleyss

Post by bentleyss »

OK , I'll do that tomorrow. Just done re-assembling everything , all buttoned up and cleaned. Just beat from that. Take a break and tackle that in the morning and keep you posted. The bike has a sidecar so it's a little harder to work around taking stuff off. The gymnastics tire me out. Thanks for pointing me in that direction.
bentleyss

Post by bentleyss »

Got up and removed right side fairings. Made a small jumper from some wire and shorted the BROWN/RED and BLUE/WHITE wires at the C57 connector as you suggested and “voila” headlights. You can just barely see the tiny wire I used. Time to order new switch. Thank you😁
Attachments

bentleyss

Post by bentleyss »

Purchased a brand new OEM switch an installed it, everything working as it should. Noticed the control lights are much brighter. Thank you for your help😎
Attachments