Hazard Switch - Spring

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
bri720a
Motorcycle: 96 GL1500SE & 03 VTX1800r

Hazard Switch - Spring

Post by bri720a »

I have taken apart cleaned and lubed the hazard switch 3 times trying to get it to stay on. (seems like the little follower pin is not engaging to keep them on) Well the 4th time I took it apart the spring inside the hazard switch decided to jump down inside the engine bay somewhere - lost forever now.
The local hardware store does not have springs that small. Do you have any recommendations on where to find/what to use for a replacement? I know a pen spring has to big of a diameter to work and I can not think of anything else that might fit.

As an alternative is there a replacement switch available that might work in its place?

Thank you all!

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Hazard Switch - Spring

Post by WingAdmin »

bri720a wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:36 am I have taken apart cleaned and lubed the hazard switch 3 times trying to get it to stay on. (seems like the little follower pin is not engaging to keep them on) Well the 4th time I took it apart the spring inside the hazard switch decided to jump down inside the engine bay somewhere - lost forever now.
The local hardware store does not have springs that small. Do you have any recommendations on where to find/what to use for a replacement? I know a pen spring has to big of a diameter to work and I can not think of anything else that might fit.

As an alternative is there a replacement switch available that might work in its place?

Thank you all!
First off - the little follower pin usually gets bound up by the lubricating grease that Honda uses. That grease gets stiff and hard over time, particularly when it gets cold out. I usually just use solvent spray (electrical contact cleaner) to spray it out of there and then a tiny touch of dry graphite lubricant in its place.

As for the spring...I've never seen a replacement for that spring - you might need to get a replacement switch used and harvest the spring from it.

Highly recommended tip: when disassembling these switches, get a gallon-sized Ziploc freezer bag, and put the switch AND your hands inside the bag. That way, when the spring jumps out, it is caught in the bag, rather than disappearing forever.
Sassy
Motorcycle: 1989 gl1500

Post by Sassy »

Great tip!!
I have spent WAY too much of my life looking for stuff I have dropped in the shop!!
Hint---- if you do drop something first look in the farest, most unused area of shop,, unless your like a buddy of mine, roles back to right foot most of the time!! :roll:
Fred
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin »

I have a magnetic sweeper similar to this one, and it has saved me so many times....

https://www.amazon.com/GRIP-53417-Magne ... ref=sr_1_8
Swagonmaster
Motorcycle: 1990 gl1500 SE

Post by Swagonmaster »

I have a number of springs smaller than a pen spring, if you can give me an idea of the size you need I might be able to come up with one for you.
Try to learn from the mistakes of others..... you won't live long enough to make them all yourself!
bri720a
Motorcycle: 96 GL1500SE & 03 VTX1800r

Post by bri720a »

Update - Found a spring that works

After numerous hardware stores and trying a few springs that were the correct diameter but to weak. A spring from a bic lighter cut to length worked perfect. Now I can use the rest of the spring for the cruise on/off button if needed.

Thanks for all the help guys.
Swagonmaster
Motorcycle: 1990 gl1500 SE

Post by Swagonmaster »

Good to hear. If you are going to work on your own stuff you need two things; a good stash of possibles and at least a distant relationship to MacGyver.

Try to learn from the mistakes of others..... you won't live long enough to make them all yourself!