GL1500 Electrical Accessory Connection problem

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
dvcruz
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade
1983 GL1100 Interstate

GL1500 Electrical Accessory Connection problem

Post by dvcruz »

Hello.
I have a '93 1500 which over the last couple of years I have added some extra lights to the bike. I wired these lights to the accessories terminals located at the top of the fuse box. Last night any light attached to those terminals stopped working. If I remove the terminal screws, pull the added lights wiring away from the terminal box and attach another 12v source to the wires, everything works! All the lights go on. But if I reattach the wires (of my added lights) back to the terminal screws, they don't work again.
It's like I blew a fuse going to the accessories terminal screws.
I have checked all the fuses and relays and they are all good. Everything works fine on the bike. Horn, turn signals, head/tail lights, everything. It's as if I blew a fuse that is part of the accessories terminal circuit. Can that be right and where is this hidden fuse?
Tried running down the circuitry in my service manual but I can't figure out where the accessories terminal gets it power from.
Thanks in advance.
Dennis

Back in the San Jose area for now...
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: GL1500 Electrical Accessory Connection problem

Post by WingAdmin »

dvcruz wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:47 pm Hello.
I have a '93 1500 which over the last couple of years I have added some extra lights to the bike. I wired these lights to the accessories terminals located at the top of the fuse box. Last night any light attached to those terminals stopped working. If I remove the terminal screws, pull the added lights wiring away from the terminal box and attach another 12v source to the wires, everything works! All the lights go on. But if I reattach the wires (of my added lights) back to the terminal screws, they don't work again.
It's like I blew a fuse going to the accessories terminal screws.
I have checked all the fuses and relays and they are all good. Everything works fine on the bike. Horn, turn signals, head/tail lights, everything. It's as if I blew a fuse that is part of the accessories terminal circuit. Can that be right and where is this hidden fuse?
Tried running down the circuitry in my service manual but I can't figure out where the accessories terminal gets it power from.
Thanks in advance.
Dennis
The accessory terminal fuse is fuse 1 inside the fuse/relay box, it is rated at 5 amps. Take the fuse out and actually test it - don't trust that it is OK just by looking at it.

Accessory Terminal Fuse
Accessory Terminal Fuse

dvcruz
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade
1983 GL1100 Interstate

Post by dvcruz »

Thank WingAdmin.
That was it. I had used a continuity checker to check all the fuses and they worked. But after pulling that fuse from the bike, it didn't pass the test. Must be a small crack somewhere. Can't believe I couldn't identify that fuse as being the one I needed. Must be getting too old to see the forest thru the trees now.
Thanks again.
dvc
Back in the San Jose area for now...
Gordcode4
Motorcycle: 1990 Goldwing Aspencade

Post by Gordcode4 »

I was looking to use the accessory connection to run wires up to an auxiliary fuse block up front. Q#1, can I change the fuse to a 20 or 30 amp?
Q#2, has anyone done this?
Fiberthree
Motorcycle: Black 1999 GL1500SE

Post by Fiberthree »

Don't put in a larger fuse!!! The wire will not handle it. I ran a wire to a relay that powers the auxiliary panel and that serves the extra circuits.
Attachments

Aux Fuse Panel
Aux Fuse Panel

A few extra lights
A few extra lights

Ed

WARNING: All posts are subject to influence from an uncontrollable dominant sarcastic gene. Offensive remarks may or may not be intentional.
Snowmoer
Motorcycle: 2012 GL 1800
1977 GL 1000
2012 KLR 650

Post by Snowmoer »

Totally agree, do not put a larger fuse in. You need a fuse block. You use the acc. terminal to turn on a relay that supplies power to the fuse block.

If you are not comfortable with hooking a system up like Ed has, here is another option. This block was designed by a ST1300 rider. I had this on my 88 1500 and mounted it on top of the rear fender under the seat. It works like a charm and is very well built. It has a built in relay. Well worth the money.

https://www.fuzeblocks.com/
Gordcode4
Motorcycle: 1990 Goldwing Aspencade

Post by Gordcode4 »

Ok the 5 amp stays and will go to the other side and go off the battery. Is there a particular place I might want to look for to hook my power wire from the battery to a fuse block I'm putting up front.
I figure one nice thick wire from the battery (or whatever I hook it too) up to the front to a 6 blade fuse block, I'm not going to use them all...I think. Mostly auxilery LEDs.
Solo So Long
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500 50th Anniversary SE
1989 GL1500 FOR SALE
A pack of Super Cubs
Z50A (pre-headlight)
Formerly (in order):
Honda Super Cub (bought 1968, sold ?)
Kawasaki Coyote (early 1970s)
Honda 350 (mid 1970s)
Kawasaki KZ900-PS (1977)
Honda Super Cubs (various years)
Kawasaki KZ1000C (1978)
Kawasaki KZ1000P (various years, 1980 - 2005)
Honda 360 (1983)
BMW R1150RT-P (2001)
BMW R1200RT-P (various years 2007 - 2018, NEVER AGAIN)

Post by Solo So Long »

Special Ed wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:31 pm I was looking to use the accessory connection to run wires up to an auxiliary fuse block up front.
This is more trouble than it's worth.

Run a set of 10-gauge leads directly to the battery terminals, with a fuse suitable for ALL of the Aux loads plus 10 - 20%, as close to the positive (+) terminal as possible. The other end goes to your new Aux Fuse block. Run the negative (-) lead to a terminal (a bolt works fine) convenient to your add-on loads.

This is faster and simpler that connecting to the existing fuse block, and it avoids and conflict between the two.

There's room for your Aux Fuse block under the pockets in the main fairing. Carry a JIS screwdriver for access when needed.
Fiberthree
Motorcycle: Black 1999 GL1500SE

Post by Fiberthree »

Solo So Long wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:04 pm
Special Ed wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:31 pm I was looking to use the accessory connection to run wires up to an auxiliary fuse block up front.
This is more trouble than it's worth.

Run a set of 10-gauge leads directly to the battery terminals, with a fuse suitable for ALL of the Aux loads plus 10 - 20%, as close to the positive (+) terminal as possible. The other end goes to your new Aux Fuse block. Run the negative (-) lead to a terminal (a bolt works fine) convenient to your add-on loads.

This is faster and simpler that connecting to the existing fuse block, and it avoids and conflict between the two.

There's room for your Aux Fuse block under the pockets in the main fairing. Carry a JIS screwdriver for access when needed.
Your system makes the Aux panel hot all the time. And what "conflict between the two." are you referring to? If you use the accessory connection to activate a relay to power the Aux fuse panel, it will turn on with the ignition key.
Ed

WARNING: All posts are subject to influence from an uncontrollable dominant sarcastic gene. Offensive remarks may or may not be intentional.
Solo So Long
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500 50th Anniversary SE
1989 GL1500 FOR SALE
A pack of Super Cubs
Z50A (pre-headlight)
Formerly (in order):
Honda Super Cub (bought 1968, sold ?)
Kawasaki Coyote (early 1970s)
Honda 350 (mid 1970s)
Kawasaki KZ900-PS (1977)
Honda Super Cubs (various years)
Kawasaki KZ1000C (1978)
Kawasaki KZ1000P (various years, 1980 - 2005)
Honda 360 (1983)
BMW R1150RT-P (2001)
BMW R1200RT-P (various years 2007 - 2018, NEVER AGAIN)

Post by Solo So Long »

Being hot all the time isn't usually a problem.

While WE don't have to worry, there's a lot more CANBus stuff floating around. Going directly to the battery bypasses it. It's also a lot easier to deal with than tapping into the main fuse block, especially if you want to make changes or keep it when you sell the bike. I've seen copcycles that had wiring just chopped out when they took the bells and whistles off to send to surplus -- it's a whole lot easier when all of the special effects are powered directly from a battery tap.