GL1500 Electrical Accessory Connection problem

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
dvcruz
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade
1983 GL1100 Interstate

GL1500 Electrical Accessory Connection problem

Post by dvcruz »

Hello.
I have a '93 1500 which over the last couple of years I have added some extra lights to the bike. I wired these lights to the accessories terminals located at the top of the fuse box. Last night any light attached to those terminals stopped working. If I remove the terminal screws, pull the added lights wiring away from the terminal box and attach another 12v source to the wires, everything works! All the lights go on. But if I reattach the wires (of my added lights) back to the terminal screws, they don't work again.
It's like I blew a fuse going to the accessories terminal screws.
I have checked all the fuses and relays and they are all good. Everything works fine on the bike. Horn, turn signals, head/tail lights, everything. It's as if I blew a fuse that is part of the accessories terminal circuit. Can that be right and where is this hidden fuse?
Tried running down the circuitry in my service manual but I can't figure out where the accessories terminal gets it power from.
Thanks in advance.
Dennis

Back in the San Jose area for now...
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: GL1500 Electrical Accessory Connection problem

Post by WingAdmin »

dvcruz wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:47 pm Hello.
I have a '93 1500 which over the last couple of years I have added some extra lights to the bike. I wired these lights to the accessories terminals located at the top of the fuse box. Last night any light attached to those terminals stopped working. If I remove the terminal screws, pull the added lights wiring away from the terminal box and attach another 12v source to the wires, everything works! All the lights go on. But if I reattach the wires (of my added lights) back to the terminal screws, they don't work again.
It's like I blew a fuse going to the accessories terminal screws.
I have checked all the fuses and relays and they are all good. Everything works fine on the bike. Horn, turn signals, head/tail lights, everything. It's as if I blew a fuse that is part of the accessories terminal circuit. Can that be right and where is this hidden fuse?
Tried running down the circuitry in my service manual but I can't figure out where the accessories terminal gets it power from.
Thanks in advance.
Dennis
The accessory terminal fuse is fuse 1 inside the fuse/relay box, it is rated at 5 amps. Take the fuse out and actually test it - don't trust that it is OK just by looking at it.

Accessory Terminal Fuse
Accessory Terminal Fuse

dvcruz
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade
1983 GL1100 Interstate

Re: GL1500 Electrical Accessory Connection problem

Post by dvcruz »

Thank WingAdmin.
That was it. I had used a continuity checker to check all the fuses and they worked. But after pulling that fuse from the bike, it didn't pass the test. Must be a small crack somewhere. Can't believe I couldn't identify that fuse as being the one I needed. Must be getting too old to see the forest thru the trees now.
Thanks again.
dvc
Back in the San Jose area for now...