What other jobs to do while changing tires?


Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
Post Reply
Solo So Long
Posts: 400
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:07 pm
Location: Northern Nevada
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500 50th Anniversary SE
1989 GL1500 FOR SALE
A pack of Super Cubs
Formerly (in order):
Honda Super Cub (bought 1968, sold ?)
Kawasaki Coyote (early 1970s)
Honda 350 (mid 1970s)
Kawasaki KZ900-PS (1977)
Honda Super Cubs (various years)
Kawasaki KZ1000C (1978)
Kawasaki KZ1000P (various years, 1980 - 2005)
Honda 360 (1983)
BMW R1150RT-P (2001)
BMW R1200RT-P (various years 2007 - 2018, NEVER AGAIN)

What other jobs to do while changing tires?

Post by Solo So Long »



I'll be changing the tires on my Wing soon.

What other jobs should I do, that make sense to do while I'm doing this?


User avatar
AZgl1800
Posts: 2825
Joined: Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:46 pm
Location: Lake Oologah Indian Territory USA
Motorcycle: 2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc https://imgur.com/foGDjgv

'02 GL1800 lives in Dawsonville, GA now.
My son is going to enjoy it for many years to come.

Re: What other jobs to do while changing tires?

Post by AZgl1800 »

pull the driveshaft and grease the splines, and the rubber bumpers in the wheel hub.

been a lot of years since I owned my '98SE
~John

2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc

https://i.imgur.com/4SOFPYS.jpg
User avatar
Sadanorakman
Posts: 283
Joined: Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:42 pm
Location: Leicester, ENGLAND
Motorcycle: 1991 GL1500 SE

Re: What other jobs to do while changing tires?

Post by Sadanorakman »

AZgl1800 wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 12:37 am pull the driveshaft and grease the splines, and the rubber bumpers in the wheel hub.
Can someone clarify re the rubber cush-drive in the rear wheel please. I know that 88/89 wheels had five pins & rubbers vs the later six, but which have steel tubes embedded in the rubbers to accept the pins, and is it this interface that needs greasing (or not)?
Or John, are you hinting at replacing the rubbers?
Was speaking with my 19yr old son today: he has no idea what 'vertical hold' refers to.
User avatar
MikeB
Posts: 3526
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:54 pm
Location: Tacoma, WA
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade
186K Miles
2017 - GL1800 Audio Comfort
20K Miles
Contact:

Re: What other jobs to do while changing tires?

Post by MikeB »

Sadanorakman wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 1:12 am
AZgl1800 wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 12:37 am pull the driveshaft and grease the splines, and the rubber bumpers in the wheel hub.
Can someone clarify re the rubber cush-drive in the rear wheel please. I know that 88/89 wheels had five pins & rubbers vs the later six, but which have steel tubes embedded in the rubbers to accept the pins, and is it this interface that needs greasing (or not)?
Or John, are you hinting at replacing the rubbers?
If I remember correctly, the '88 and '89 had six pins on the driven flange and six individual donuts and steel inserts in the wheel.
The '90 and newer have five pins on the driven flange and five trapizodial shaped rubber snubbers with aluminum inserts in the wheel.
Greasing the pins was recommended for the '88 and '89.
Greasing the driven flange pins for the '90 and newer was not recommended.
MikeB
1998 - GL1500 w/184,500 miles ~ 2017 - GL1800 w/13000 miles
USAF Avionics Communications Tech - 1968 - 1986 / Flight Engineer C-130E - C-141B - 1986 - 1992. Retired
Industrial Maintenance Tech - 1992 - 2014
Retired in Tacoma, WA
User avatar
Sadanorakman
Posts: 283
Joined: Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:42 pm
Location: Leicester, ENGLAND
Motorcycle: 1991 GL1500 SE

Re: What other jobs to do while changing tires?

Post by Sadanorakman »

Thanks for your advice MikeB. I think I found it. From the photos, the later drive web certainly seems to have 5 pegs, and the cush blocks have aluminium sleeves.

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=11395
Was speaking with my 19yr old son today: he has no idea what 'vertical hold' refers to.
Solo So Long
Posts: 400
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:07 pm
Location: Northern Nevada
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500 50th Anniversary SE
1989 GL1500 FOR SALE
A pack of Super Cubs
Formerly (in order):
Honda Super Cub (bought 1968, sold ?)
Kawasaki Coyote (early 1970s)
Honda 350 (mid 1970s)
Kawasaki KZ900-PS (1977)
Honda Super Cubs (various years)
Kawasaki KZ1000C (1978)
Kawasaki KZ1000P (various years, 1980 - 2005)
Honda 360 (1983)
BMW R1150RT-P (2001)
BMW R1200RT-P (various years 2007 - 2018, NEVER AGAIN)

Re: What other jobs to do while changing tires?

Post by Solo So Long »

AZgl1800 wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 12:37 am pull the driveshaft and grease the splines, and the rubber bumpers in the wheel hub.
GREASE the bumpers, or REPLACE them on a 1989?

If replace, what source is best for them?
User avatar
Andy Cote
Posts: 781
Joined: Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:38 am
Location: Windham, ME
Motorcycle: 2015 Goldwing, basic black

Re: What other jobs to do while changing tires?

Post by Andy Cote »

Solo So Long wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:26 am
AZgl1800 wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 12:37 am pull the driveshaft and grease the splines, and the rubber bumpers in the wheel hub.
GREASE the bumpers, or REPLACE them on a 1989?

If replace, what source is best for them?
use Honda parts from your favorite local Honda dealer or online sources such as Cyclemax.

The isometric exploded parts view and parts list diagrams will provide the part numbers.
2015 Goldwing, basic black

Previously: GL1200 standard, GL1200 Interstate, GL1500 Goldwing, GL1500 Valkyrie Standard, 2000 Valkyrie Interstate, many other Hondas
User avatar
Andy Cote
Posts: 781
Joined: Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:38 am
Location: Windham, ME
Motorcycle: 2015 Goldwing, basic black

Re: What other jobs to do while changing tires?

Post by Andy Cote »

Solo So Long wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 11:45 pm I'll be changing the tires on my Wing soon.

What other jobs should I do, that make sense to do while I'm doing this?
John hit the big ones: driveshaft and final drive service. I would replace final drive o-rings and seal if you don't know when they were last done. Have a new driveshaft boot on hand in case it's ripped.

How's the air suspension doing? Do you need to replace rear shock? air hose? shock boot? desiccant refresh?

Remove and clean brake caliper. Flush brake fluid. Inspect brake pads - I would just change them as it's so much easier now.

Front tire change. Like above, clean and inspect brakes. Consider new brakes pads and a fluid flush.

I would jack the front wheel up first and feel if there is a notch or detent feel at the dead center position. Any roughness, drag or notch means time to change the steering stem bearings.

Of course you've checked for fork seal leaks on a regular basis but new seals and bushings are pretty easy and you're halfway there.

If you pull the forks, it is somewhat easier to do timing belts if they are due.
2015 Goldwing, basic black

Previously: GL1200 standard, GL1200 Interstate, GL1500 Goldwing, GL1500 Valkyrie Standard, 2000 Valkyrie Interstate, many other Hondas
Solo So Long
Posts: 400
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:07 pm
Location: Northern Nevada
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500 50th Anniversary SE
1989 GL1500 FOR SALE
A pack of Super Cubs
Formerly (in order):
Honda Super Cub (bought 1968, sold ?)
Kawasaki Coyote (early 1970s)
Honda 350 (mid 1970s)
Kawasaki KZ900-PS (1977)
Honda Super Cubs (various years)
Kawasaki KZ1000C (1978)
Kawasaki KZ1000P (various years, 1980 - 2005)
Honda 360 (1983)
BMW R1150RT-P (2001)
BMW R1200RT-P (various years 2007 - 2018, NEVER AGAIN)

Re: What other jobs to do while changing tires?

Post by Solo So Long »

I did belts last May, so I'm good there.

I'll work up a list of parts to order before I do the tires, and get that stuff done, to be ready for riding in the spring.
User avatar
minimac
Posts: 901
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:25 am
Location: Oswego, NY, Leesburg, Fl
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade
2006 Yamaha Morphous
2011 Silverwing
Y̶a̶m̶a̶h̶a̶ ̶M̶a̶j̶e̶s̶t̶y̶
S̶u̶z̶u̶k̶i̶ ̶B̶u̶r̶g̶m̶a̶n̶ ̶E̶x̶e̶cutive

Re: What other jobs to do while changing tires?

Post by minimac »

Clean! Everything you see with the wheels off, especially the areas you can't normally get to.
User avatar
Wildwilly018
Posts: 152
Joined: Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:26 am
Location: Woodstock, Ontario Canada
Motorcycle: 1988 Honda Goldwing GL1500

Re: What other jobs to do while changing tires?

Post by Wildwilly018 »

Sadanorakman wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 1:12 am
AZgl1800 wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 12:37 am pull the driveshaft and grease the splines, and the rubber bumpers in the wheel hub.
Can someone clarify re the rubber cush-drive in the rear wheel please. I know that 88/89 wheels had five pins & rubbers vs the later six, but which have steel tubes embedded in the rubbers to accept the pins, and is it this interface that needs greasing (or not)?
Or John, are you hinting at replacing the rubbers?
The 6 pin is on 88 and 89 require greasing. I have 88 and changed my rear tire this winter. The 5 pin is on 90 and on do not require grease. So you have your yrs wrong above.
User avatar
Sadanorakman
Posts: 283
Joined: Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:42 pm
Location: Leicester, ENGLAND
Motorcycle: 1991 GL1500 SE

Re: What other jobs to do while changing tires?

Post by Sadanorakman »

Wildwilly018 wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:41 pm The 6 pin is on 88 and 89 require greasing. I have 88 and changed my rear tire this winter. The 5 pin is on 90 and on do not require grease. So you have your yrs wrong above.
Thank you for the clarification Sir. My bad.
Was speaking with my 19yr old son today: he has no idea what 'vertical hold' refers to.
User avatar
Wildwilly018
Posts: 152
Joined: Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:26 am
Location: Woodstock, Ontario Canada
Motorcycle: 1988 Honda Goldwing GL1500

Re: What other jobs to do while changing tires?

Post by Wildwilly018 »

Sadanorakman wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:28 am
Wildwilly018 wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:41 pm The 6 pin is on 88 and 89 require greasing. I have 88 and changed my rear tire this winter. The 5 pin is on 90 and on do not require grease. So you have your yrs wrong above.
Thank you for the clarification Sir. My bad.
No problem. Just wanted to make sure you did things right Sadanorakman. Because I did do it wrong myself not knowing this. On the very first page of this viewtopic.php?f=14&t=11395 you will find a pic of the 2 and the difference and it states the grease on one and not the other. That's where I discovered it. And I had already had my tire off 4 times before I actually seen that. And it was only because Scott had mentioned something in a post about the 5 and 6 pin. Learn a lot from this site for an old guy that thought there wasn't anything I hadn't learned lol.
User avatar
Sadanorakman
Posts: 283
Joined: Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:42 pm
Location: Leicester, ENGLAND
Motorcycle: 1991 GL1500 SE

Re: What other jobs to do while changing tires?

Post by Sadanorakman »

Wildwilly018 wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:51 am No problem. Just wanted to make sure you did things right Sadanorakman. Because I did do it wrong myself not knowing this. On the very first page of this viewtopic.php?f=14&t=11395 you will find a pic of the 2 and the difference and it states the grease on one and not the other. That's where I discovered it. And I had already had my tire off 4 times before I actually seen that. And it was only because Scott had mentioned something in a post about the 5 and 6 pin. Learn a lot from this site for an old guy that thought there wasn't anything I hadn't learned lol.
Thanks again Wildwilly. Both wheels need to come off this year for new tires, and I'm going to get them powder coated if I can as part of a bigger overhaul task of fitting stainless braided brake hoses, and rebuilding the front forks. Of course I will pay attention to the drive shaft and final drive appropriately. I will likely do the steering bearings as I get that deep into the work, which makes me wonder if I should do wheel bearings too, but where do you stop! Clutch slave cylinder overhaul too seeing as I'm doing the brakes. The bike only has 35,000 Miles on her from new, but will have her 30th birthday this year. New cam belts, fluids... the list gets longer.
been keeping my eye out for a pair of used Progressive 416's for her rear too, but they are pretty illusive these days, especially in the UK. I have already imported a shifter brace, and will look to import a blackwing fork brace too.
She's not been on the road for several years now, so much reinstatement work that has kept giving way to other projects.
Was speaking with my 19yr old son today: he has no idea what 'vertical hold' refers to.
User avatar
Andy Cote
Posts: 781
Joined: Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:38 am
Location: Windham, ME
Motorcycle: 2015 Goldwing, basic black

Re: What other jobs to do while changing tires?

Post by Andy Cote »

Since you are sending the wheels out for powder coating, pull and replace the wheel bearings.
2015 Goldwing, basic black

Previously: GL1200 standard, GL1200 Interstate, GL1500 Goldwing, GL1500 Valkyrie Standard, 2000 Valkyrie Interstate, many other Hondas
User avatar
Wildwilly018
Posts: 152
Joined: Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:26 am
Location: Woodstock, Ontario Canada
Motorcycle: 1988 Honda Goldwing GL1500

Re: What other jobs to do while changing tires?

Post by Wildwilly018 »

Sadanorakman wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:50 am
Wildwilly018 wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:51 am No problem. Just wanted to make sure you did things right Sadanorakman. Because I did do it wrong myself not knowing this. On the very first page of this viewtopic.php?f=14&t=11395 you will find a pic of the 2 and the difference and it states the grease on one and not the other. That's where I discovered it. And I had already had my tire off 4 times before I actually seen that. And it was only because Scott had mentioned something in a post about the 5 and 6 pin. Learn a lot from this site for an old guy that thought there wasn't anything I hadn't learned lol.
Thanks again Wildwilly. Both wheels need to come off this year for new tires, and I'm going to get them powder coated if I can as part of a bigger overhaul task of fitting stainless braided brake hoses, and rebuilding the front forks. Of course I will pay attention to the drive shaft and final drive appropriately. I will likely do the steering bearings as I get that deep into the work, which makes me wonder if I should do wheel bearings too, but where do you stop! Clutch slave cylinder overhaul too seeing as I'm doing the brakes. The bike only has 35,000 Miles on her from new, but will have her 30th birthday this year. New cam belts, fluids... the list gets longer.
been keeping my eye out for a pair of used Progressive 416's for her rear too, but they are pretty illusive these days, especially in the UK. I have already imported a shifter brace, and will look to import a blackwing fork brace too.
She's not been on the road for several years now, so much reinstatement work that has kept giving way to other projects.
All the best in your adventure. That isn't anywhere near broke in yet. If it has been sitting a while there will be things that need looking at.
User avatar
Sadanorakman
Posts: 283
Joined: Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:42 pm
Location: Leicester, ENGLAND
Motorcycle: 1991 GL1500 SE

Re: What other jobs to do while changing tires?

Post by Sadanorakman »

Wildwilly018 wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:00 pm
All the best in your adventure. That isn't anywhere near broke in yet. If it has been sitting a while there will be things that need looking at.
Thanks Wildwilly. Quite intimidating exactly how much work needs doing to be honest. Expense expense expense, time,skinned knuckles and anguish:

-New screen
-Battery
-All dash switches are sticking
-Throttle cables dried out
-Cam belts
-Carbs need stripping
-Fuel guage not working
-Tires need replacing
-Brakes need overhauling,
-Clutch master/slave cylinders overhaul
-All Fluids
-All filters (oil/air/sub/cruise/fuel) + dessicant regen.
-Led swap
-Fork rebuild
-Shifter brace
-Various bearings
-Drive shaft and final drive maintenance
-Vacuum pipe check/replace
-Coils and leads check/replace
-Plugs replace
-Petcock rebuild
...and no doubt other tasks too!!!

Now ya'll going to tell me all the stuff I've forgotten!
Was speaking with my 19yr old son today: he has no idea what 'vertical hold' refers to.
User avatar
Wildwilly018
Posts: 152
Joined: Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:26 am
Location: Woodstock, Ontario Canada
Motorcycle: 1988 Honda Goldwing GL1500

Re: What other jobs to do while changing tires?

Post by Wildwilly018 »

Sadanorakman wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:09 pm
Wildwilly018 wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:00 pm
All the best in your adventure. That isn't anywhere near broke in yet. If it has been sitting a while there will be things that need looking at.
Thanks Wildwilly. Quite intimidating exactly how much work needs doing to be honest. Expense expense expense, time,skinned knuckles and anguish:

-New screen
-Battery
-All dash switches are sticking
-Throttle cables dried out
-Cam belts
-Carbs need stripping
-Fuel guage not working
-Tires need replacing
-Brakes need overhauling,
-Clutch master/slave cylinders overhaul
-All Fluids
-All filters (oil/air/sub/cruise/fuel) + dessicant regen.
-Led swap
-Fork rebuild
-Shifter brace
-Various bearings
-Drive shaft and final drive maintenance
-Vacuum pipe check/replace
-Coils and leads check/replace
-Plugs replace
-Petcock rebuild
...and no doubt other tasks too!!!

Now ya'll going to tell me all the stuff I've forgotten!
Yes can be intimidating for sure. Once you do all this work, ride it. Don't let her sit anymore.
User avatar
Sadanorakman
Posts: 283
Joined: Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:42 pm
Location: Leicester, ENGLAND
Motorcycle: 1991 GL1500 SE

Re: What other jobs to do while changing tires?

Post by Sadanorakman »

Wildwilly018 wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:59 pm
Yes can be intimidating for sure. Once you do all this work, ride it. Don't let her sit anymore.
She's a bit like me: The bodywork looks OK, but what's underneath is starting to show signs of old age!

Problem was that she sat for several years before I bought her. Took me another year to bring her back into the the country from abroad. Then she's sat another 18-ish months, waiting for me to finish landscaping and other projects in order to get around to sorting her out. I suppose I should have bought a different bike to save the heartache, but she belonged to a family member for many years, so it's a tribute to him that I will be breathing new life into her.

I've been collecting bits and bobs ready for the work over the last 18 months, but wanted to wait on the tires and screen until I was ready to start all the work. Once I start stripping her down I want to get everything done within a few months.

I was hoping to have her ready for my 50th Birthday at the end of this August, just in time for my midlife crisis. I might just achieve that too, but by which time the riding season will be coming to a close, so perhaps I will then wait to ride her next spring. I will need to take her for a roadworthy-ness test, tax and insure her, and register her on the UK tag plates that I purchased (All more expense!). There is an order in which all of this must be achieved too!
Was speaking with my 19yr old son today: he has no idea what 'vertical hold' refers to.
Solo So Long
Posts: 400
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:07 pm
Location: Northern Nevada
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500 50th Anniversary SE
1989 GL1500 FOR SALE
A pack of Super Cubs
Formerly (in order):
Honda Super Cub (bought 1968, sold ?)
Kawasaki Coyote (early 1970s)
Honda 350 (mid 1970s)
Kawasaki KZ900-PS (1977)
Honda Super Cubs (various years)
Kawasaki KZ1000C (1978)
Kawasaki KZ1000P (various years, 1980 - 2005)
Honda 360 (1983)
BMW R1150RT-P (2001)
BMW R1200RT-P (various years 2007 - 2018, NEVER AGAIN)

Re: What other jobs to do while changing tires?

Post by Solo So Long »

Sadanorakman wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:38 am
I've been collecting bits and bobs ready for the work over the last 18 months, but wanted to wait on the tires and screen until I was ready to start all the work.
The last two jobs that I would do would be tires and belts. In fact, I would do both at the same time.
User avatar
Sadanorakman
Posts: 283
Joined: Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:42 pm
Location: Leicester, ENGLAND
Motorcycle: 1991 GL1500 SE

Re: What other jobs to do while changing tires?

Post by Sadanorakman »

Solo So Long wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:38 am The last two jobs that I would do would be tires and belts. In fact, I would do both at the same time.
Well I have the belts already. My logic on the tires was to avoid them getting any older than necessary, and the screen I'm just as likely to damage if I have to store it away from the bike. Would love a madstad, but that's throwing even more money at a 30 year old bike!
Was speaking with my 19yr old son today: he has no idea what 'vertical hold' refers to.
User avatar
Wildwilly018
Posts: 152
Joined: Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:26 am
Location: Woodstock, Ontario Canada
Motorcycle: 1988 Honda Goldwing GL1500

Re: What other jobs to do while changing tires?

Post by Wildwilly018 »

Everything costs when it comes to our toys Sadanorakman. And our old beloved wings do also. But I will put money into my old 33 yr old wing (88) because she is worth it and don't want anything else. I haven't done a lot of major work to mine over the yrs. Mostly maintenance parts. Tires, brakes, filters and plugs. I have a best buddy that comes from the UK and has most of his fam still over there, so I know a lot of how different it is there for vehicles. He has mentioned a lot about what size bike you are allowed at different stages of your experience on a bike. You will get her on the road.


Post Reply