Turn signals not working.

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
bentleyss
Motorcycle: 1999 cbr1100xx Blackbird,
1995 GL1500 / Hannigan 2+2 sidecar

Turn signals not working.

Post by bentleyss »

Well, just finished installing a brand new Right side handlebar assembly because the headlight connector went bad. Everything on the R works perfectly now. Went to go for a ride and noticed the turn signals stopped working. Checked the radio controls, the Horn, the Flasher unit, choke ,etc,etc. Disassembled the L side controls and cleaned an scotchbrite and cleaned everything again. All working except the turn signals. Looking for thoughts on this as not great when it comes to electronics. Wing admin pointed me in the righta direction for the R side control unit and that is working fine now. Reading on hear about a self cancel switch somewhere and relays. Checked the fuses and they are good . Any help appreciated.

newday777
Location: Milford NH summer/fall & Oceanside, CA winters(N San Diego) with lots of miles riden between
Motorcycle: 2008 Cabernet Red. Level 4

1983 GL1100A Wineberry 36,000 miles

1975 CB750 K5 Planet Blue 7,800 miles

1976 CB750 K6 Anterris Red 25,000 miles

Past rides
1999A Restored from PO neglect & sold at 19,000 miles

1999SE Totaled by cager at 105,000 miles

Re: Turn signals not working.

Post by newday777 »

We have to assume what you are working on?????
Swagonmaster
Motorcycle: 1990 gl1500 SE

Post by Swagonmaster »

Judging by his bike's picture it's a '95 Aspencade or SE.
Only because you have been working in the front I would wonder if the wiring plug at the cancel unit might be loose. The cancel unit goes into the steering stem and the plug for it is just to the right of the stem if I remember correctly (it's been a few years since I had mine off). There is a gray wire going to the turn signal switch that is the power wire for the turn signals coming from the t/s relay that you could check but that relay is controled by the cancel unit so don't know what you will find. If you can find the plug for the cancel unit and probe the blue/black wire with a test light that should give the t/s relay a ground and with the switch turned either right or left, you can sort of bypass the cancel unit enough to see if the turn signal relay clicks and in turn if any of the turn lights work.
Try to learn from the mistakes of others..... you won't live long enough to make them all yourself!
bentleyss

Post by bentleyss »

Thanks. When I’m off Saturday I’ll do that. I had everything off while replacing the R side controls so I could have knocked something loose
bentleyss

Post by bentleyss »

Well, got out and dismantled the switch and when I checked it there was NO power to the grey wire at the switch. Still hunting for the cancel switch, it must really be buried in there someplace. Yes my bike is an SE model.
Swagonmaster

Post by Swagonmaster »

look at this diy post at about step 18 to about 20 or 21, shows the cancel unit and location.
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=12367
Try to learn from the mistakes of others..... you won't live long enough to make them all yourself!
Swagonmaster

Post by Swagonmaster »

The fact that the cancel switch is shall we say sort of out of the way, is the reason that I suggested to probe the blue/black wire. It is the wire that the cancel unit uses to ground the turn signal relay to allow it to work. If you can find that wire it may save you some time as if the signals work when that wire is grounded there won't be any worry that the relay or a fuse is the fault and diagnosis can concentrate on the cancel unit or its wiring.(which is most likely but cya)