Doug's Winter Maintenance Part 3

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
DougEFresh1123
Motorcycle: 2002 Honda Magna VF750
1994 GL1500SE

Doug's Winter Maintenance Part 3

Post by DougEFresh1123 »

Once again it's the time of year I talk about my winter maintenance and the issues I incur while working on my lovely beast of a machine. For those of you that don't know my lovely beast is a 1994 GL 1500SE. Other than the routine maintenance of an oil and filter change, I was only planning on recharging the dessiccant in the air compressor during the winter. I was really hoping for a simple 2020 on the bikes which would lead to the aforementioned simple routine winter maintenance; but no my beast has a mind of her own. The first issue I noticed was the lights on my right saddlebag were no longer working, and then by mid-summer I was smelling burning oil, great just what I needed. I kept on eye out for an oil spot in the garage and parking space at work but nothing ever showed, never say any blueish exhaust upon start up. I also kept an eye on the oil level and it was always in spec, not sure what was going on and then as the weather started getting cooler I started to notice smoke was floating up the forks. My first thought was some leaves or grass clipping got blown in there but it happened every time on start up so I knew it was something else.

The good news was the light issue was the connector by the rear taillights some how came unplugged. I'm guessing last winter when I was tinkering around with my brake lights I absentmindedly unplugged them and forgot. Since I pulled the lights apart I noticed one is burnt out and all of the plugs look like they have some heat damage so I'll be changing them to LED strips.

Now the bad news. Do the 1500's have a PVC valve? My son was helping me with the bike and he asked about if the Goldwing has a PCV valve, I told him I don't know. So we pulled of the air filter and we saw a bunch of oil residue in the air box, much more than what my son was expecting. So we pulled of the bottom of the air box and this is what we saw. We also drained the pink colored tubes and wait until you see the picture of the liquid that came pouring out. I've drained these each winter for the last two yeas and each time it was just a few drops of liquid so I know this issue really started during the summer of 2020. Now we are trying to figure out what needs to be replaced.

Logged onto my favorite parts website and pulled up the Air Cleaner section and started looking at the parts. My son and I have it narrowed down to either the Joint Air Cleaner Tube (17211-MT2-000) or possibly the Crankcase Breather Storage Box (17551-MN5-000). Based on the pictures are we correct? If we need to replace the Crankcase Breather Storage Box how would we go about performing this task? If we are wrong what should we be looking at?

Thanks for your help.

Doug
Attachments

'02 Magna VF750
'94 GL1500SE
- Doug

“We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.”
― Ronald Reagan
Earl43P
Motorcycle: 04 ST1300 DD
99 Valkyrie IS
93 GL1500I SOLD 3/29/20
82 GL1100 SOLD 3/3/17

Re: Doug's Winter Maintenance Part 3

Post by Earl43P »

You should drain that drool tube more frequently than annually, that is all.
I notice mine get full quickly if I ride in the rain for extended periods.

Pro tip: Drain the drool tube in the motel parking spot after a multi-tank day of riding with a MC group. Wait for the "comments"/conversation that ensues. Drink beer.
When all else fails, RTFM!

04 ST1300 Bought 3/4/17, Daily Driver sort of
99 Valkyrie Interstate, “Favorite”
82 GL1100 Sold 3/3/17 (miss that ticket getter)
93 GL1500I SOLD 3/29/20
DougEFresh1123
1994 GL1500SE

Post by DougEFresh1123 »

Earl43P wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:05 am You should drain that drool tube more frequently than annually, that is all.
I notice mine get full quickly if I ride in the rain for extended periods.

Pro tip: Drain the drool tube in the motel parking spot after a multi-tank day of riding with a MC group. Wait for the "comments"/conversation that ensues. Drink beer.
I'll take this into advisement but based on my last two years of having virtually nothing in there I figured once a year was sufficient. If I drain say monthly will this eliminate the burning oil smell or do I still have an issue?

Thanks - Doug
'02 Magna VF750
'94 GL1500SE
- Doug

“We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.”
― Ronald Reagan
minimac
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade
2006 Yamaha Morphous
2011 Silverwing
Y̶a̶m̶a̶h̶a̶ ̶M̶a̶j̶e̶s̶t̶y̶
S̶u̶z̶u̶k̶i̶ ̶B̶u̶r̶g̶m̶a̶n̶ ̶E̶x̶e̶cutive

Post by minimac »

If it doesn't, at least you'll realize that you have a possible issue starting.
DougEFresh1123
1994 GL1500SE

Post by DougEFresh1123 »

minimac wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 4:04 pm If it doesn't, at least you'll realize that you have a possible issue starting.
I think I'm at the point of having an issue. Summer of 2019 I put on 4,621 miles and drained the tube and only a few drops. These miles included trips from Chicagoland to Mammoth Cave Kentucky and another trip to the Lake of the Ozarks in Missouri. Summer of 2020 only 2,464 miles, but no long trips and I got a lot of fluid.

Thanks - Doug
'02 Magna VF750
'94 GL1500SE
- Doug

― Ronald Reagan
DenverWinger
Motorcycle: (s)
1980 GL1100 STD Vetter (2005-)
1993 GL1500 Aspencade (2017-)
1983 Trav-Lite Camper (2010-)
Past rides
1972 CL350 (1980-1988) sold
1978 Suzuki GS550 (1985-2005) sold
1977 GL1000 (2002-2006) sold

Post by DenverWinger »

More condensation on short trips.... :D
♫ 99 Little Bugs in the Code, ♪
♪ 99 Bugs in the Code. ♫ :(
♫ Take one down, Patch it around, ♪
♫ 127 Little Bugs in the Code. ♫ ♪ :shock:

~Mark
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin »

So here's what occurs. There is no PCV, but the crankcase vents into the filter air box. The vent is required to deal with piston blow-by, which are burning gases. These gases contain a number of things, one of which is water.

If you run short trips and the oil doesn't get hot enough, this water condenses in your engine (and in your exhaust), causing corrosion in both. This is the #1 reason why you shouldn't "exercise" the engine in winter time.

When you do a lot of high-speed riding, or riding in the rain, when the air being taken into the engine is extremely humid, you will get more water vapor coming through the vent. If the water condenses, which some of it will, it drains into that tube, which you need to empty.
DougEFresh1123
1994 GL1500SE

Post by DougEFresh1123 »

WingAdmin wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 11:49 pm So here's what occurs. There is no PCV, but the crankcase vents into the filter air box. The vent is required to deal with piston blow-by, which are burning gases. These gases contain a number of things, one of which is water.

If you run short trips and the oil doesn't get hot enough, this water condenses in your engine (and in your exhaust), causing corrosion in both. This is the #1 reason why you shouldn't "exercise" the engine in winter time.

When you do a lot of high-speed riding, or riding in the rain, when the air being taken into the engine is extremely humid, you will get more water vapor coming through the vent. If the water condenses, which some of it will, it drains into that tube, which you need to empty.
So if I understand what you are saying I should not be be concerned. Keep an eye on it and drain frequently if doing lots of short rides?
'02 Magna VF750
'94 GL1500SE
- Doug

― Ronald Reagan
minimac
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade
2006 Yamaha Morphous
2011 Silverwing
Y̶a̶m̶a̶h̶a̶ ̶M̶a̶j̶e̶s̶t̶y̶
S̶u̶z̶u̶k̶i̶ ̶B̶u̶r̶g̶m̶a̶n̶ ̶E̶x̶e̶cutive

Post by minimac »

I wouldn't be overly concerned, but keep a watch on it. If the drainage seems to be excessive or increasing, I'd be concerned and start looking for solutions.
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin »

If you are concerned, do a wet/dry compression test. As long as all the cylinders are close to one another in terms of compression, you should be OK. If you're seeing low compression on one or two cylinders, that may be causing more blow-by than usual, and could be a reason for that excess fluid.
DougEFresh1123
1994 GL1500SE

Post by DougEFresh1123 »

minimac wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:33 am I wouldn't be overly concerned, but keep a watch on it. If the drainage seems to be excessive or increasing, I'd be concerned and start looking for solutions.
Thank you for you input. Hopefully this year will be back to normal longer weekend rides and less daily commuting to work. Ideally the Magna is my daily commuter (20 miles round trip) and the Goldwing is the weekend rides with the wife and other friends.

Doug
'02 Magna VF750
'94 GL1500SE
- Doug

― Ronald Reagan
DougEFresh1123
1994 GL1500SE

Post by DougEFresh1123 »

WingAdmin wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:36 pm If you are concerned, do a wet/dry compression test. As long as all the cylinders are close to one another in terms of compression, you should be OK. If you're seeing low compression on one or two cylinders, that may be causing more blow-by than usual, and could be a reason for that excess fluid.
Thank you for the information and suggestion. I'll talk with my son and see if he has the tools for a compression test, if not of to Advanced Auto Parts for a rental.

Thanks - Doug
'02 Magna VF750
'94 GL1500SE
- Doug

― Ronald Reagan
DougEFresh1123
1994 GL1500SE

Post by DougEFresh1123 »

Well this year's maintenance has really been a family affair. As most of you know I have my son help occasionally on the maintenance items. However over the weekend I asked my wife to help. I finally got around to opening up the air compressor in order to recharge the dessicant, I needed her baking and toaster oven expertise. When she was done they had turned a beautiful shade of blue and back into the air compressor they went.

Over the next handful of days my son and I will be changing the saddlebag side lights to LED and we also decided to change the lights on the side of the trunk and the trunk brake light to LEDs.

Based on WingAdmin's suggestion we may decide to do a compression check to see if that is causing the large amount of blowback.

Thank you - Doug
'02 Magna VF750
'94 GL1500SE
- Doug

― Ronald Reagan
DougEFresh1123
1994 GL1500SE

Post by DougEFresh1123 »

Wow, we had awesome weather in Chicago this past weekend! Alas I couldn't take advantage of it by riding but was able to get a lot of work done on the bike over the weekend. My son and I worked on converting the saddlebag lights and the side trunk lights over to LEDs. All things considered things went smoothly with the minor exception of realizing there was a short in the wiring for the right saddlebag lights. Before actually soldering the wires we did a check to make sure we were going to be hooking them up correctly and everything worked great so we soldered the wires installed the light back into the saddlebag and then did anther check to make sure everything was working as expected. Well they didn't work as expected, lights flickered, dimmed, and got bright. Time to trouble shoot, checked our connections and everything was solid. Started looking at the other connections and discovered the splicing of the wires coming out of the rear right taillight were causing the issue, cut the bad sections out spliced the good sections backed together and everything worked as expected.

Now I need to find LED bulbs for the rear brake lights, both the ones in the trunk and under the license plate. Not sure I want to try and use LED Strips because there is no way I am talented enough to build the circuitry Mr. WingAdmin documented in his How-To write up.

I was also able to but a majority of the plastic back on I originally took off to figure out my burning oil smell.

As some of you may recall I have a bank of four switches on my brake master cylinder, which when I bought the bike only two were hooked up, one controlled the spotlights and one controlled the ring of fire on the front wheel. The other two had power going to them and leads that were terminated for some reason. So I utilized one of the switched and added white LED strips to the inside of the saddlebags and trunk for night time access. Now I just need to figure out what I can hook up to the fourth switch.
Attachments

There are two strips cut to size and placed end to end.
There are two strips cut to size and placed end to end.

Here they are installed and turned on.  What a difference.
Here they are installed and turned on. What a difference.

Added white LED strips to the trunk
Added white LED strips to the trunk

LED Lights for the Trunk and Saddlebags

LED Lights in the Saddlebag
LED Lights in the Saddlebag

'02 Magna VF750
'94 GL1500SE
- Doug

― Ronald Reagan
Elspencer99a
Motorcycle: "1984 yamaha royal venture 1200"
"1984 Honda goldwing 1200"
"1997 Honda goldwing 1500 se"

Post by Elspencer99a »

If you use a couple of relays you can get your side lights to flash with the turn signals.
I just did mine that way.
When your proper turn signal is lites up the side lights go off, when the proper turn signal is out the side lights lite up.
Alternately.
Like the GM cars and trucks do.
DougEFresh1123
1994 GL1500SE

Post by DougEFresh1123 »

Elspencer99a wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 7:15 pm If you use a couple of relays you can get your side lights to flash with the turn signals.
I just did mine that way.
When your proper turn signal is lites up the side lights go off, when the proper turn signal is out the side lights lite up.
Alternately.
Like the GM cars and trucks do.
Do you have some wiring diagrams? I’m not mechanical so would need detailed instructions. My turn signals are not LED would they offer enough resistance to allow the LED lights to blink at the normal rate? Did you do the saddlebags and turn key lights?

Thanks - Doug

'02 Magna VF750
'94 GL1500SE
- Doug

― Ronald Reagan