Clutch master cylinder & slave cylinder

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
Great_adVENTURE
Motorcycle: 1995 Honda GL1500 SE
2020 Can-Am Ryker 600
2016 Harley Davidson SPORTSTER 72

Clutch master cylinder & slave cylinder

Post by Great_adVENTURE »

Well... after noticing that my clutch fluid was low on my new to me 95 gl1500se. I found the gunk! Not only caked up in the master but caked up in the slave as well. Now for the questions.

1. How do I know if it leaked in to the crank case?

During disassembly I took notice to the staining and fluid leak on the clutch basket case. I also looked at the weep hole and it didn’t seem clogged up.

2. Is the oil gasket on the clutch basket case supposed to be tight on the push rod?

Mine has wiggle to it. I have only put on 1,500 miles or so since I got it and recently changed the oil. It was sitting for many years by the previous owner.

3. Will the hoses have the same gunk?

4. What kind of solvent that won’t affect the black paint on the master cylinder?

Finally I’ve ordered all replacement rebuild kits required to fix the issues. I hope I’m not missing anything.

If you never did you should. These things are fun. And fun is good. ~Dr.Seuss
Rednaxs60
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD
2014 Can-Am Spyder RT LE
1995 GL1500 SE CDN Edition (sold)
2012 Suzuki DL1000 VStrom (sold)
2008 GL1800 (sold)
Ontario 1985 GL1200 LTD (sold)

Re: Clutch master cylinder & slave cylinder

Post by Rednaxs60 »

I would recommend cleaning and rebuilding the clutch MC and slave cylinder. Replace the oil seal that is in the clutch cover. Put back in service and monitor. You may find that all is well. The paint on the clutch MC is hard to get off, so a good clean with mineral spirits - doesn't take much to clean the MC, blow through the supply return holes, rebuild. If there is crud in the clutch MC and slave, there will be crud in the original lines, only been some 26 years, recommend replacement. To improve the brake feel, replace with new lines as well.
"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen"

Ernest
Great_adVENTURE
Motorcycle: 1995 Honda GL1500 SE
2020 Can-Am Ryker 600
2016 Harley Davidson SPORTSTER 72

Re: Clutch master cylinder & slave cylinder

Post by Great_adVENTURE »

The rebuild kits will be here tomorrow. I have already disassembled and cleaned both the master and slave thoroughly. I’m certainly going to try and flush the lines as much as possible before hooking the banjo fitting back up to the slave. Guess I’ll just cross my fingers and hope for the best. Can’t be worse than what was there, only realized the problem because I saw the master was low.
If you never did you should. These things are fun. And fun is good. ~Dr.Seuss