replacing thermostat

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
aj1500
Motorcycle: 02 ABS 1800
97 1500 SE
Motorvation II sidecar
Double Dark Side # 1522
Goodyear Fuel max 175/60 R16
PILOT ACTIV 130/70 18
USCA# 8913
96 Aspy 1500 W Lehmann trike

replacing thermostat

Post by aj1500 »

I let my 1500 overheat ( had a senior moment) and the little plastic TEE down near the thermostat cracked and is leaking coolant, I decided since it ran hot I would replace the thermostat while I am replacing the TEE and hoses. I have it torn down now to where I have removed both fans, I have both radiators loose and folded forward out of the way but not removed. I can see the thermostat housing, I think I can get in there to replace it but just watched a vid about it and they had removed the carbs and went from the top. I see I will have to remove the fill tube or at least take it loose as it looks like it is the hose on top of the thermostat.
So here is the real question, can I just take the fill tube loose, raise the hose off the thermostat housing and replace the stat or do I really need to pull the carbs and go in from the top

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: replacing thermostat

Post by WingAdmin »

aj1500 wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:45 pm I let my 1500 overheat ( had a senior moment) and the little plastic TEE down near the thermostat cracked and is leaking coolant, I decided since it ran hot I would replace the thermostat while I am replacing the TEE and hoses. I have it torn down now to where I have removed both fans, I have both radiators loose and folded forward out of the way but not removed. I can see the thermostat housing, I think I can get in there to replace it but just watched a vid about it and they had removed the carbs and went from the top. I see I will have to remove the fill tube or at least take it loose as it looks like it is the hose on top of the thermostat.
So here is the real question, can I just take the fill tube loose, raise the hose off the thermostat housing and replace the stat or do I really need to pull the carbs and go in from the top
I've done this nasty job once, and I went in from the top. That's not to say that it can't be done the way you're thinking - it's been long enough that I don't recall if there is anything blocking what you're considering. Might be worth a try?
4given
Motorcycle: 1996 Honda GL1500 Aspencade

Post by 4given »

I did the thermostat at the same time that I was chasing a coolant leak. And it was a pain even with the carbs off and the radiators removed. I would think that trying to get at the t stat housing bolts would be quite a challenge with only the radiators removed.
“Fight the fight and do what is right“
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin »

I must say, it's often tempting to take a short cut to try to remove something without pulling other stuff off to give access - but I find that often you end up spending more time doing that than if you had taken the time to pull everything apart in the first place.
4given

Post by 4given »

Been there, done that. ;)
aj1500
97 1500 SE
Motorvation II sidecar
Double Dark Side # 1522
PILOT ACTIV 130/70 18
USCA# 8913

Post by aj1500 »

yeah I was afraid it was going to come to that, not really looking for short cuts so much as not knowing the best way to get where I needed to be. I got fairly good at pulling and reinstalling the carbs working on my wife's trike so I guess if that is the best way then so be it. haven't had a chance to get back to it, got sick last week and still fighting through it now. I'll post back once I get in there and get it done. who knows I may find a trick or 2 I can share
Thanks for the reply's everyone
4given

Post by 4given »

Would love to hear if you find any tricks to make that job go any better. Get well first. It’s not fun doing anything when you’re sick.
aj1500
97 1500 SE
Motorvation II sidecar
Double Dark Side # 1522
PILOT ACTIV 130/70 18
USCA# 8913

Post by aj1500 »

well I finally got to feeling better and started back on replacing the thermostat, sadly there is no way to do this repair without removing the carbs. I got the carbs removed and got everything unhooked to get a clear shot at the housing and was removing the last bolt and it broke off in the housing :o :x luckily there is a little bit of the bolt standing out of the housing so I'm soaking it in penetrating oil hoping it will soak in and allow me to get ahold of it with vise grips and get it out. I'm not sure what I'm going to do if I can't get it out. I'm afraid to try to remove the housing from the intake, afraid one of those bolts might break. any suggestions to help me get the bolt out
Rambozo
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade
Ducati Monster

Post by Rambozo »

After a good soaking, give it some percussive maintenance with a hammer to help break the bond between the bolt and the case. Apply a little heat to the area then get a good grip on it and rather then just backing it out, move it back and forth a little at a time to get it freed up before removing it.
aj1500
97 1500 SE
Motorvation II sidecar
Double Dark Side # 1522
PILOT ACTIV 130/70 18
USCA# 8913

Post by aj1500 »

I have given it a bit of tapping from the top and a little on the side, I drove a small socket on top to make a remover type tool and thought I had it once but it was the socket twisting loose. I am nervous about getting heat down there but I do have a small pocket size hand held butane torch I can get in there to try to heat it up. I will try that tonight and find a small 12 point socket this time to use
FM-USA
Motorcycle: mc's

Post by FM-USA »

JUST POSTING for any stubborn nut or bolt.
Pull out your PATIENCE TOOL, you're going to need it.

Use a breaker bar or vise-grips and liquid nut buster (a ratchet wrench you'll grow tired of flipping to forward/reverse switch), use VERY LITTLE increments of back & forth movements on that bolt or broke stud.
Once you feel it working lose DO NOT try to use more power, just keep soaking & soft back & forth movements. It let's more nut buster liquid seep into the threads. You'll know when you can start using more power to remove said stubborn bolt or broke stud. JUST DON'T RUSH IT.

THIS may take some time but it sure beats drilling it out and thread chasing with the hopes you didn't mess up the blocks threads. :shock:
One time it took me 45 minutes of this to break loose a GL1500 timing belt cover broken bolt. I used a small vise-grip on the broke stud then a larger vise-grip on the smaller one.

aj1500
97 1500 SE
Motorvation II sidecar
Double Dark Side # 1522
PILOT ACTIV 130/70 18
USCA# 8913

Post by aj1500 »

Got it :D a little heat, a little back and forth movements and out it came. so after that it went fairly smooth going back together. I don't think there are any short cuts to this job, not something I would want to do again, but it did give me a chance to check the little elbow vacuum hose under the carbs and sure enough it had a little hole in it
Thanks to all who took the time to offer suggestions
Greenwinger
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 SE
Pearl Green and Beautiful

Post by Greenwinger »

"it did give me a chance to check the little elbow vacuum hose under the carbs and sure enough it had a little hole in it"
Does anyone have a pic of where exactly this elbow hose is located and what it looks like. I have the bike stripped down to replace the clutch and brake lines and was hoping to use a borescope to visually inspect the hose.
The avatar is of me and the Mrs. on the dragon a few years back.
bellboy40
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE Candy Spectra Red

Post by bellboy40 »

Greenwinger wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 2:57 pm "it did give me a chance to check the little elbow vacuum hose under the carbs and sure enough it had a little hole in it"
Does anyone have a pic of where exactly this elbow hose is located and what it looks like. I have the bike stripped down to replace the clutch and brake lines and was hoping to use a borescope to visually inspect the hose.
Here are some pictures of the hose in question.

90° hose under carbs
90° hose under carbs

Bad 90° carb hose
Bad 90° carb hose

90° carb hose replacement
90° carb hose replacement

Greenwinger

Post by Greenwinger »

Thanks for the pictures. Do you know the ID of the new tubing?
bellboy40
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE Candy Spectra Red

Post by bellboy40 »

I believe this is the tube in question. Also, as noted in the bottom picture I sent, you can use a good grade of vacuum tube with a nice sweeping bend in it that will work just fine.
https://www.partzilla.com/product/honda ... 43a25e2152
FM-USA

Post by FM-USA »

IF you still have the CARBS off, look at these hose's. (PIX)
The upper left hose I had a pinhole but when I took it off it tore open to a HUGE hole.
Parts store didn't have that size hose so I used a piece of soft copper tube inside it.
Bent it to match the elbow (used sand inside to keep the inner diameter).
Then trimmed it down to fit inside that hose and used 'Liquid-Wrench' as lube.

Greenwinger

Post by Greenwinger »

Well here's my dilemma. I am about 15 min from getting the carbs off, I was hoping to get away with a visual inspection by borescope but I don't think that will do. Now, because it is such a pain to remove the carbs, once I get the carbs off should I have the carbs re-built? (I was having no problems with the way the bike was running) should I also replace the thermostat and housing while I am there, as a precaution? Due to the covid shut down here in Ontario both OEM parts and anything aftermarket (such as vacuum lines and copper tube for vacuum lines) are very hard to get a hold of.

The bike is a 97 SE with 190,000 km (118,000 miles) carbs have never been re-built, the vacuum slides were replaced at about 60,000 miles.

Looking for ideas and opinions :o
Chuck
FM-USA

Post by FM-USA »

Greenwinger wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 6:54 am Well here's my dilemma. I am about 15 min from getting the carbs off, I was hoping to get away with a visual inspection by borescope but I don't think that will do. Now, because it is such a pain to remove the carbs, once I get the carbs off should I have the carbs re-built? (I was having no problems with the way the bike was running) should I also replace the thermostat and housing while I am there, as a precaution? Due to the covid shut down here in Ontario both OEM parts and anything aftermarket (such as vacuum lines and copper tube for vacuum lines) are very hard to get a hold of.

The bike is a 97 SE with 190,000 km (118,000 miles) carbs have never been re-built, the vacuum slides were replaced at about 60,000 miles.

Looking for ideas and opinions :o
Chuck
My 91 Wing has 250,000 miles, carbs worked fine all that time. If yours are working...
118k miles, thermostat can be replaced but if its working...
Removing the carbs isn't that bad, hoses are self explanatory when reassembling. Photo some hoses if questionable.
After you take them off, next time is easier.
Lastly, if hose is unavailable, I used RTV, it works well. Brake parts cleaner or fine sandpaper the hose clean, the RTV is flexable & heat resistant.

Greenwinger

Post by Greenwinger »

Well carbs are off and the 90 degree vacuumed line was mush. I have a piece of surgical silicone tubing that fits great, was curious if anyone knows how well it would handle the heat under the carbs? The other two 90 lines at the front of the carb seem to be in good shape so I will leave them alone. Pressure tested the cooling system after tightening the hose clamp on the T stat.( looks like there was a leak from that clamp took about 4 turns to get her tight) after tightening she dropped from 18psi to 17psi after about 25 min. I figure that's pretty good.
Oh and the id of the tubing is 4mm
FM-USA

Post by FM-USA »

Surgical hose will not last. I left a piece in the sun and it went to mush.
I got my vac hose at Napa auto store. ODDLY they only had SAE sizes and no metric. But the 2 I needed fit fine.
If not a few windings of wire before pushing it on works. A hose that's too small (if it's thick enough) can be drilled out. I did elect to get the thick wall hose, just in case.