left Rear crash bar loose

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
mikemcd
Motorcycle: 88 GL 1500 with trike kit.

left Rear crash bar loose

Post by mikemcd »

I've been looking for a strange noise I've noticed since I had the rear tire replaced. It seems the mechanic forgot to tighten down the left rear crash bar. Presently it is floating around Im searching the forum for directions on how and where to gain access to tighten things up. I've seen a few posts that show the general area while changing the tire, but nothing concise. It looks like removing the side trunk would be a place to start. If there are known shortcuts or instructions that would help, I would appreciate any advice. Mike McD

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: left Rear crash bar loose

Post by WingAdmin »

You got it. Removing the left side cover and saddlebag will give you access to the two bolts holding it in place.

I'm wondering why it's loose, however. There is no reason to touch the bolts holding that crash bar in place when changing the wheel/tire. In fact, there's virtually no reason to ever loosen or remove those bolts (or the crash bar) for just about any maintenance.
Andy Cote
Motorcycle: 2015 Goldwing, basic black

Post by Andy Cote »

Is that an Insta-trike kit or an actual trike conversion? Does it mount to those same bolts?

On a two wheeler in the forward lower inboard side of the pannier, there is a plastic plug Pop that out to see the bolt for the guard. This is the same bolt that is loosened or removed if you are doing the "up and over" method for a tire change.

There are two How-To Articles on the up and over method. Read more here:

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=4626

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=5781
2015 Goldwing, basic black

Previously: GL1200 standard, GL1200 Interstate, GL1500 Goldwing, GL1500 Valkyrie Standard, 2000 Valkyrie Interstate, many other Hondas
mikemcd
Motorcycle: 88 GL 1500 with trike kit.

Post by mikemcd »

Thanks for the help, don't know why it is loose, wasn't in that condition when I dropped it off.
FM-USA
Motorcycle: mc's

Post by FM-USA »

2 possibilities I've encountered.
1.) The bag system was raised to change the rear tire and the safety bar, swung away, didn't get bolted.
2.) (of the 4 bolts holding the sub-frame on) The lower left sub-frame bolt broke.

I'm hounded for posting helpful solutions?
"We're all different individuals with different paths in life. If you can't accept others ideas & suggestions, why do you give yours?"