Reinstalling Fans

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
aholloway17
Motorcycle: 1994 GL1500 Interstate

Reinstalling Fans

Post by aholloway17 »

I had to track down a pesky leak that seemed to run all over the place! I would up removing both fans to find it. Now, I have to reinstall them and as you already know, this is an ordeal! Any suggestions or tips?

Thanks in advance!

Allen

1994 GL1500 Interstate
Snowmoer
Motorcycle: 2012 GL 1800
1977 GL 1000
2012 KLR 650

Re: Reinstalling Fans

Post by Snowmoer »

Take your time! The problem I always ran into was the wires got in the way at the top of the fan. I just had to move them around some and make sure they were in the holder that is on top of the fan. If I did that, there was just enough room for it to slide back into place.
Sassy
Motorcycle: 1989 gl1500

Post by Sassy »

Ordeal all right,,, the rear bolt that mounts left fan is still on the shelf,,,
Fred
FM-USA
Motorcycle: mc's

Post by FM-USA »

aholloway17 wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:41 pm I had to track down a pesky leak that seemed to run all over the place! I would up removing both fans to find it. Now, I have to reinstall them and as you already know, this is an ordeal!
Any suggestions or tips?
Thanks in advance!
Allen
YA, those shrouds can be a REAL BEAR. :evil:
Sometimes I have good luck using soda case cardboard. Line 3/4 of the the area where the fan inserts and it slides in a little easier.
It DEFINITELY stops catching hanging wires BUT do be sure said wires are where they're supposed to be so not to pinch when bolting up.

IF you're having wires hang issues, I use either a red, orange, blue, any bright color primary wire to hold said wires that get in the way.
Primary is better for it than twist ties since primary has a thicker coating which wears less.

Another suggestion, which works for me.
I sand the sharp or protruding points on the fan shroud. Helps slide in a little easier.
Of course don't sand away material that enters the shrouds channel, don't want dirt or moisture sprayed on the engine.

I'm hounded for posting helpful solutions?
"We're all different individuals with different paths in life. If you can't accept others ideas & suggestions, why do you give yours?"
aholloway17
Motorcycle: 1994 GL1500 Interstate

Post by aholloway17 »

Thanks for all the help. It took a few hours to figure it all out but they are both reinstalled! I think the biggest barrier was remembering the amount of force it took to pull them out; it took an equal amount to get then back into place and conquering the fear they might break!

Thanks again,

1994 GL1500 Interstate