URGENT: Bike SUDDENLY won't start???????!!!!!!!!

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
Rambozo
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade
Ducati Monster

Re: URGENT: Bike SUDDENLY won't start???????!!!!!!!!

Post by Rambozo »

I would measure the current and track the wires that have current flowing in them.
However, there are a few places that I can think of right off that are likely candidates.
The first would be stuck relays that are keeping power on when turned off. (contacts welded, etc.)
The items that can use power without being too obvious are the reverse control unit, the radio/cb, the cruise control, the ECU, the ignition coils, the alternator/regulator, internal battery short.
Of course any badly corroded connector could be burning power off as heat. You can even see power drains from spilled acid on the outside of a battery case, with just a test light.
Some are larger than others, but just speculating isn't going to get it fixed. Time to start measuring, or lacking the equipment, you can do some practical experiments to help track it down.
For example, disconnect the battery when not riding and see if it self discharges.
While the 1500 does have some parasitic drain from the clock and memory retention, it's nothing like a more modern vehicle. For what it's worth I was in the hospital for a few months, and my 1500 had no trouble starting right up when I got back to it. No battery tender. Can't say the same about some other items.

FM-USA
Motorcycle: mc's

Post by FM-USA »

FM-USA wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:45 am Our Wings sure can be finicky! :roll: ...blah yada... Maybe you have moisture issues too?
Here I thought I gave some fairly good advise on starting a Goldwing yet someone gave it a THUMBS DOWN?
WHY? :shock:
My name isn't trump.

Swagonmaster
Motorcycle: 1990 gl1500 SE

Post by Swagonmaster »

I am thinking that some folks just like to be pickey and if they don't like the way you comb your hair you get a thumbs down. I was supposing that the thumb down was for strong disagrement or something outright wrong but it seems that is not the case many times.
The only ones I would worry about are for something really wrong, insulting or improper. I can be rather flip at times and it shows in my thumb count.
Try to learn from the mistakes of others..... you won't live long enough to make them all yourself!
FM-USA
Motorcycle: mc's

Post by FM-USA »

Swagonmaster wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 8:07 pm I am thinking that some folks just like to be pickey and if they don't like the way you comb your hair you get a thumbs down. I was supposing that the thumb down was for strong disagrement or something outright wrong but it seems that is not the case many times.
The only ones I would worry about are for something really wrong, insulting or improper. I can be rather flip at times and it shows in my thumb count.
OK... thanks. Fig'd that was one of the reasons / excuses.
I got you on the PLUS side.