under seat connector disconnected and shorted! Why?

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
Aisalord
Motorcycle: Honda Transalp PD06
Honda Gold Wing GL1500 SE '93

under seat connector disconnected and shorted! Why?

Post by Aisalord »

Hi all!
Three days ago I become a Gold Wing owner, I have a "like new" 1500 SE registered in the april of 1993, 93.000 miles. The first thing that I have done is install a quick charging plug in the rear right trunk side pocket, so I removed the seat and I found a green connector with the sides shorted together, and (probably) the other side obviously unconnected. Why the previous owner(s?) has done this? All the electric stuff seems to work properly. What's happening if I remove the shortage and I reconnect the plug to the other side?
Thanks a lot
Attachments

gford
Motorcycle: 1999 Goldwing SE

Re: under seat connector disconnected and shorted! Why?

Post by gford »

The previous owner disconnected the BAS system. Thats the system that shuts off the bike if you lay it down. BAS stands for bank angle system.
Aisalord

Post by Aisalord »

Thank you. In your opinion it would be safer to keep it disconnected (if he done that, I think he had a good advice to do it), and trying to do a better shortage (with an insulated wire, first of all) or I can try to reconnect it and see what's happening?
gford

Post by gford »

Earlier models had a problem with the BAS activating without the bike being laid down and that is why owners were bypassing the system.

I never heard of a 2000 with a BAS problem.

If you leave it disconnected the bike will not shut off by itself if you drop it.

If you connect it the bike may shut off at any time if the BAS is defective. The previous owner must have had a problem or he would not have bypassed the system.

Most bikes do not even have a BAS system.

Your choice
gford

Post by gford »

I just noticed your bike is a 1993. I don't know why I thought it was a 2000. The previous owner probably had a problem and that's why he bypassed the system.
Earl43P
Motorcycle: 04 ST1300 DD
99 Valkyrie IS
93 GL1500I SOLD 3/29/20
82 GL1100 SOLD 3/3/17

Post by Earl43P »

detdrbuzzard wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:14 pm i have a '93 1500 se. last november while riding along at 70 mph i hit a bump and my wing shut off. after turning the key off and back on the bike started back up. the next day i just happened to be at the dealer with a friend soi went to the service dept. and asked then about the bank angle sensor. the guy ran my vin and said " no your sensor has not been replaced but its still under warrenty, are you leaving the bike "? i dropped it off the following week. so i guess any dealer could check your vin
^This happened to my 93, same problem with the same result, my local dealer replaced the bank angle sensor for free.

posting.php?mode=quote&f=6&p=43078
When all else fails, RTFM!

04 ST1300 Bought 3/4/17, Daily Driver sort of
99 Valkyrie Interstate, “Favorite”
82 GL1100 Sold 3/3/17 (miss that ticket getter)
93 GL1500I SOLD 3/29/20
Charlie1Horse
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200A Aspencade
1992 GL1500I Interstate

Post by Charlie1Horse »

There was a recall on the '88 to '93 GL1500s for the Bank Angle Sensor. If yours has been changed there will be an 'X' stamped on the lower frame by the starter relay. If there is no 'X' you can go to your local Honda dealer and get them to run your VIN to find if it has been replaced. If it has not been changed, the dealer will order one for you and change it at no cost to you. It is a safety recall and if the bike is still on the road, the recall is still active and will be taken care of. My '92 Interstate had not been changed and I had it replaced two years ago. If yours hasn't been changed a new one will make it work properly again and not bypassed.
Russell

If I don't do Facebook or Twitter, do I still have to do Social Media Distancing???
Those who say it cannot be done should try not to interrupt those who are doing it.
Aisalord

Post by Aisalord »

Thank you all for the answers, I will check and contact my local Honda dealer to verify if the sensor was ever been replaced or not.