how do you switch over to an aftermarket 6 disc CD changer to play through the speakers?

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
Talcannis
Motorcycle: 1990 GL1500

how do you switch over to an aftermarket 6 disc CD changer to play through the speakers?

Post by Talcannis »

I purchased a 1990 GL1500 that has an aftermarket 6 disc Alpine CD compact disc changer in the trunk and for a while I thought it did not work but when my bike started cranking but not starting I fiddled around with it trying to figure the problem out and all of a sudden the CD player was playing through the speakers. I don't what I did and can't figure out how to do it again.
Does anyone know the trick to get the sound from the CD player to play through the speakers? What button or combination of buttons do I need to push? There are aftermarket switches that work lights and such but I've tried them all with no luck.
It looks like the original system with tape deck.

Radio system
Radio system

Alpine 6disc
Alpine 6disc

Rambozo
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade
Ducati Monster

Re: how do you switch over to an aftermarket 6 disc CD changer to play through the speakers?

Post by Rambozo »

Depends on how it's wired up. Either the radio was modified to have an aux input, a cassette adapter was used, or it uses an FM modulator to play through the radio.
All of these methods were popular back in the day. You will have to snoop around to see what yours has.

BTW what is a CD? ;)
DenverWinger
Motorcycle: (s)
1980 GL1100 STD Vetter (2005-)
1993 GL1500 Aspencade (2017-)
1983 Trav-Lite Camper (2010-)
Past rides
1972 CL350 (1980-1988) sold
1978 Suzuki GS550 (1985-2005) sold
1977 GL1000 (2002-2006) sold

Re: how do you switch over to an aftermarket 6 disc CD changer to play through the speakers?

Post by DenverWinger »

I have a similar version Alpine CD changer. It works thru the FM radio with a modulator, just tune in the programmed frequency of the modulator into the FM radio.

The modulator goes in-line with the FM antenna and inserts itself in-line in place of the antenna, so when the Alpine is powered up, any other FM reception suffers due to the antenna being cut off.

My model has a mode switch on the control unit, Push to turn on CD changer, Push again to switch from CD changer to the AUX input on the modulator, push and hold to power it off. This restores the antenna to the stock stereo. The AUX input is nice, I use it for my Sandisk MP3 Player.

Shows the Alpine FM Modulator in the Left Cubby and the control unit laying on the air cleaner cover. Aux Input jacks on the modulator.
Shows the Alpine FM Modulator in the Left Cubby and the control unit laying on the air cleaner cover. Aux Input jacks on the modulator.

The CD changer and Subwoofer
The CD changer and Subwoofer

Bike assembled. Velcro pad is where I stick the MP3 Player with AUX cable pulled out of the cubby just far enough to reach it.
Bike assembled. Velcro pad is where I stick the MP3 Player with AUX cable pulled out of the cubby just far enough to reach it.

♫ 99 Little Bugs in the Code, ♪
♪ 99 Bugs in the Code. ♫ :(
♫ Take one down, Patch it around, ♪
♫ 127 Little Bugs in the Code. ♫ ♪ :shock:

~Mark
Talcannis
Motorcycle: 1990 GL1500

Post by Talcannis »

So are you saying that I just have to find the exact frequency on fm? That would make a lot of sense on how I stumbled across it and couldn't find it again, LOL. Tomorrow I'll flip through this tuner until I hear start playing. Thank you for the help.
4given
Motorcycle: 1996 Honda GL1500 Aspencade

Post by 4given »

Talcannis wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 1:57 am So are you saying that I just have to find the exact frequency on fm? That would make a lot of sense on how I stumbled across it and couldn't find it again, LOL. Tomorrow I'll flip through this tuner until I hear start playing. Thank you for the help.
The modulator will probably indicate somewhere on it what fm frequency it is using, usually very low on the band.
“Fight the fight and do what is right“
baba67
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200 Aspencade
1997 GL1500 SE W/ Voyager trike kit

Post by baba67 »

It usually is in the 88.4 to 88.9 FM range.
My unit is set for the 88.7 station to operate.