The Dreaded 4th Brake Line

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
erkmann
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500 SE
1997 GL1500 SE

The Dreaded 4th Brake Line

Post by erkmann »

GL1500 owners who have replaced their brake lines know that there are four: long ones to each of the two front calipers, a shorty to the rear caliper, but the Dreaded 4th Brake Line that goes from the rigid line off the rear master cylinder and bridges to another rigid line on its way to the back wheel (as shown). At first glance the replacement of this line appears to require MAJOR disassembly, and yet I'm sure SOMEONE has tried it. So, how is this done? How do you get at the proximal end?
Attachments

Happytrails
Motorcycle: 1991 Goldwing 1500 SE
2018 Ural Gearup

Re: The Dreaded 4th Brake Line

Post by Happytrails »

It took me awhile to do mine, twice. For me I never discovered or read about any good short cuts. Everything is really tucked in.

[/url]
1991 GL1500 SE Anniversary Edition
Sun Flare Gold Metallic
Vallant Brown Inset
Greenwinger
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 SE
Pearl Green and Beautiful

Post by Greenwinger »

I just finished doing mine. I went from the bike hard line to the rear caliper with one SS line. It was a b with an itch squared. If you are going to cut the rubber line as I had to and use a socket, undue the fittings before you undo the bracket you can see in the pic, you should remove the clip on the other side of the bracket that holds the brake fitting in place, then undo the bracket. I also remove the banjo bolt from the rear master cylinder for that hard line, it gives you a little more room to move the line into the space behind the engine. I used a 10mm flare wrench on the hard line and as I mentioned cut the rubber line so I could get a 17mm socket on the other end. I struggled with the fittings using both flare wrenches for a bit before I decided to cut the hose, I should have done it sooner as the 10mm side almost stripped before I cut the hose and used the socket. It was easier to attach the new SS line fitting ( relatively speaking )to the hard line using flare wrenches some times or standard wrenches which ever works best for you. I don't know if crows foot wrenches would have made it any easier as I don't YET! have any. When re-installing attach the banjo bolt last, cuz your gunna need every mm you can get. And don't forget no re-install the clip. Accept the fact you will be leaving a pound or two of knuckle and back of hand flesh hanging on the bike, and just have some bandages ready :D
In case you don't have the specs. All the banjo bolts on the bike should be set to 25 Lb ft.

Good Luck
The avatar is of me and the Mrs. on the dragon a few years back.
erkmann
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500 SE
1997 GL1500 SE

Post by erkmann »

"A pound or two of...flesh". O M Gosh, YES that job is, should we say, challenging. Thanks for the 'been there, done that' experience, as it will be my guide when I do eventually dive in. And, eliminate two unions by just going with a single, longer, braided SS line from the master hard line back to the caliper...brilliant!
Greenwinger
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 SE
Pearl Green and Beautiful

Post by Greenwinger »

The one thing I forgot to mentioned is you will need to remove the alternator to have any hope at all of getting at the joint with wrenches.

The avatar is of me and the Mrs. on the dragon a few years back.