Accelerator pump output

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
DucManCan
Motorcycle: 1989 GL1500 Aspencade

Accelerator pump output

Post by DucManCan »

Hello,
New to your forum, rebuilt a set of 89 GL1500 carbs for a friend.

I have rebuilt the carbs and re-assembled. The rebuilt kits had jets, air idle needles, o-rings etc but nothing for the accelerator pump. When I actuate the throttle the accelerator pump dumps fuel in liquid form out of the two brass openings above the slides.

I haven't done many with accelerator pumps before...

Is the the normal or should it be a vapour / mist?
Thank you in advance for any information.

ct1500
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500

Re: Accelerator pump output

Post by ct1500 »

Accelerator pump discharge is in liquid form and has been since the dawn of motoring. :) The 1500 has a temperature sensing pump which flows a bit more fuel in cooler ambients. 8-) Many will see a so-so discharge on a hot engine and think it is defective but it is as designed.
Local and need repair help with your 1500, Valkyrie or ST please click contact
Nothing leaves my shop till its' perfect
This is what I do
DucManCan

Post by DucManCan »

Thank you, good to know before we put them back on next weekend.
thebruce
Motorcycle: 1991 GL1500SE Anniversary Edition #54

Post by thebruce »

ct1500 wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 8:47 pm The 1500 has a temperature sensing pump which flows a bit more fuel in cooler ambients.
I shouldn't be surprised by now, but dang if there weren't some engineering went into these bikes.
It doesn't matter what you ride, as long as you have your knees to the breeze.
Swagonmaster
Motorcycle: 1990 gl1500 SE

Post by Swagonmaster »

Seems like I heard that the 88-89 models had a problem with a hesitation that was caused by poor accelerator pump action so If you see that after you get it back together realize that it could take some more tinkering to clear that up and it's not something you did wrong.
Try to learn from the mistakes of others..... you won't live long enough to make them all yourself!
DucManCan

Post by DucManCan »

Thanks for the tip, we will be reinstalling & balancing next weekend. I'll know then...
DucManCan

Post by DucManCan »

Any other common things to watch for when reinstalling / balancing with this model?
Swagonmaster

Post by Swagonmaster »

The pilot needles (idle mixture screws anywhere else) are a rather large pain to get to so the local Honda techs just set them to two turns out before they install them and leave it at that. Be careful to get all of the hoses reconnected and replaced if bad, there is one that comes up from the bottom in the front right that is hard to get at. I used a long bent tip needle nose pliers (cheap at Harbor Freight) or you could go through from the front and I think I remember hearing that you pull the right cooling fan. If that is not right I'm sure someone that has done it that way will correct me.
One thing that I didn't do and wish I did now is adjust the cruise control linkage the way it's shown in a DIY article. Basically you don't leave as much slack in the cable which allows the cruise to set the speed much faster. I've used up just about all of the adjustment at the cruise actuator and it still isn't enough and I'm too lazy to pull the air cleaner and housing off again to get to the adjustment at the front of the carbs.
Try to learn from the mistakes of others..... you won't live long enough to make them all yourself!
Swagonmaster

Post by Swagonmaster »

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=27383

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=17966&p=95148&hilit ... 500#p95148
There are a lot of posts on hesitations but this one seemed good as an example.
DucManCan

Post by DucManCan »

Again, thank you for your insight.
DucManCan

Post by DucManCan »

A Thank You! for your input and insight.
Everything went super smooth going back together, the bike is running great, my buddy is really happy with it. Didn't have any of the stumble issue even right from base idle.