Final Drive Flange

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
RJL
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500SE (x2)

Final Drive Flange

Post by RJL »

Was reading about replacing the universal joint in the "How To Articles", and at step 68 it mentions to apply moly lube to the drive pins on the final drive flange if it has 6 pins, but not to on 5 pins. The honda service manual for my '99 SE calls to apply lube to the 5 pins. Was wondering if there is a supplement out that clarifies this.

Swagonmaster
Motorcycle: 1990 gl1500 SE

Re: Final Drive Flange

Post by Swagonmaster »

The info in that excerpt makes mention of why the 5 pin version should not be lubed since the moly grease could create wear rather prevent it when there is steel to aluminum contact. Does your bike have steel in contact with aluminum collars? If so then I would refrain from using the lube there.
Try to learn from the mistakes of others..... you won't live long enough to make them all yourself!
RJL
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500SE (x2)

Post by RJL »

Mine does have the aluminum collars, so I didn't lube the pins. More curious than anything of why the service manual would recommend to lube. Anyway, on to buttoning the old girl up.
Swagonmaster
Motorcycle: 1990 gl1500 SE

Post by Swagonmaster »

There are a lot of things in service manuals that got put in for a reason (or were wrong) and even after that reason isn't there anymore the info remains. My '90 model manual shows the 5 pin setup and just says to lube them even though that only applied to the 6 pin style. It must be that it took a few years for them to realize that the lube didn't help it hurt and that is not what you would expect.
Try to learn from the mistakes of others..... you won't live long enough to make them all yourself!
bellboy40
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE Candy Spectra Red

Post by bellboy40 »

RJL wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 7:27 am Was reading about replacing the universal joint in the "How To Articles", and at step 68 it mentions to apply moly lube to the drive pins on the final drive flange if it has 6 pins, but not to on 5 pins. The honda service manual for my '99 SE calls to apply lube to the 5 pins. Was wondering if there is a supplement out that clarifies this.
Here is an article written by Stu Oltman of Wing World Magazine that tells about a Honda Service Technician newsletter published by Honda called The Wrench. In it he describes what they say to do in relation to lubing the splines on the final drive and driveshaft.

By Stu Oltman - Wing World Magazine

We at GWRRA continually strive to improve our relationship with American Honda, and our efforts have recently been rewarded with improved communication between your Technical Editor and Honda’s Service and Service Publications divisions. In fact, we now possess service literature for every model of Gold Wing ever produced. In addition, we’ve been placed on the subscription list for the Honda Motorcycle Technician Newsletter otherwise known as “The Wrench.” This should be a tremendous benefit to Wing World readers, as the technical information in our pages is more likely than before to be correct and up-to-date.
As I unwrapped the packet of newsletters dating from 1995 to 2002, I couldn’t help browsing as I separated the various year packets and placed them into the binder. Suddenly, an article on final drive spline lubrication caught my eye. I feel this information is important, so this month’s column is dedicated to sharing it.
The first article I noted in the January 1997 “Wrench” is titled “GL1200/GL1500 Final Drive Flange Lubrication.” It instructs technicians to lubricate the final driven flange pins and splines on all GL1200s and ’88 and ’89 GL1500s with Pro Honda Moly 60 whenever the rear wheel is removed for any reason but not to exceed an interval of 16,000 miles. For GL1500s with the 5-pin flange (1990 and later), the letter indicates that the pins do not require lubrication. The second article, a follow-up that appears in the February “Wrench,” states that application of Moly grease to the 5-pin flange may actually accelerate wear, because the steel pins are mated with aluminum collars (as opposed to the steel collars used with the 6-pin flange). Got that? No grease on the pins of GL1500 5-pin flanges.
Late model GL1500 manuals delete text references to lubing the pins, yet the drawing accompanying the text continues to indicate that lube is required. Why the confusion? My guess is that the drawing, taken from the 1990 service manual, was mistakenly retained unaltered through the 2000 edition.
Flanges aside, there’s also some extremely important information in two sentences within the lube interval recommendations for the splines that mechanics might not know if they didn’t have access to, or had not read carefully, the newsletter updates. These sentences apply to all GL1500 service manuals after 1997. “Also lubricate the pinion and drive shaft splines at this [16,000 mile] service. Heavily loaded GLs may require more frequent lubrication.”
Might there be a connection between some mechanics being unaware of this lubrication update and some of the letters to Wing World’s “Workbench” from Wingers who have had their drive shaft splines fail? Though the service manual instructs us to lube the final driven flange at each wheel removal, there hasn’t been any other reference to lubing the driveshaft splines in any GL1500 service manual except during R&R of the final drive gear case. Curiously, the 1984 to 1987 GL1200 service manual does indeed call for drive shaft and pinion spline lube at 16,000 mile intervals—but for the ’84 to ’86 models only.
We think it’s important that owners and mechanics who have been unaware of the two sentences quoted above from an easily overlooked maintenance procedure update that appeared six years ago be informed or reminded of it. The GL1500 Gold Wing is going to be around for a long time, and mechanics and owners should be aware of this information to keep our machines in top form. Armed with this knowledge, getting the required maintenance performed is as easy as doing it yourself or asking your mechanic to do it according to Honda’s recommendations that you now know.
Again, we want to thank American Honda for making this information available. The owner/operators of Honda’s flagship luxury touring motorcycle have always been extremely interested in giving their machines the best in care. Anything we at GWRRA can do to help our Members accomplish this effort, including reading the fine print in some old technical update newsletters, is time well spent.