Pegasus: Timing Belt Replacement

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
PegasusRider
Motorcycle: 1990 GL1500 SE

Pegasus: Timing Belt Replacement

Post by PegasusRider »

Due to this forum being so helpful. I have learned a ton about my Gl1500 and am starting to feel confident enough to replace the timing belt. I will post on this journey may be a while before I have everything prepared. I will be going off of the Goldwing Docs tutorial. I almost wrecked yesterday, car missed its turn slammed on the brakes. We were on the highway going 55 mph. I dont have rear brakes still something that is now taking top priority. It fish tailed and tried to buck me off. I thought I was going to die. No joke. My buddy at a motorcycle shop told me it was a cylinoid that is almost impossible to get to. The master cyclinder has brake fluid in it but now pressure. Will probably make another post when I start the project.
Attachments

Rambozo
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade
Ducati Monster

Re: Pegasus: Timing Belt Replacement

Post by Rambozo »

You should not be riding it until you correct your brakes. On the 1500 the rear is shared with one of the front discs. So with the handlebar lever, you are only using one front disc. Not nearly brake enough for that heavy of a bike.
PegasusRider

Post by PegasusRider »

I agree now lol. The brake project will take priority
Andy Cote
Motorcycle: 2015 Goldwing, basic black

Post by Andy Cote »

PegasusRider wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 11:22 am Due to this forum being so helpful. I have learned a ton about my Gl1500 and am starting to feel confident enough to replace the timing belt. I will post on this journey may be a while before I have everything prepared. I will be going off of the Goldwing Docs tutorial. I almost wrecked yesterday, car missed its turn slammed on the brakes. We were on the highway going 55 mph. I dont have rear brakes still something that is now taking top priority. It fish tailed and tried to buck me off. I thought I was going to die. No joke. My buddy at a motorcycle shop told me it was a cylinoid that is almost impossible to get to. The master cyclinder has brake fluid in it but now pressure. Will probably make another post when I start the project.
You should perhaps modify the subject line or split in to two posts.

Timing belts can be intimidating but as long as you follow the instructions, they are fairly straight forward. Not a job to start after work hoping to knock if off quick. Plan to start fresh in the morning. Plan to take your time and take all day. You'll likely be done before lunch.

Did you have pedal brakes and now they are not working? Have you done anything to them since you got the bike? Does rear brake firm up by pumping the pedal? There is no solenoid in the GL1500 brake system (assume that's the word you're looking for. I think cylinoid is a Cylon/Humanoid hybrid ;) ). Maybe he meant something altogether different. Anyway, the pedal brake, which as Rambozo has said, operates the rear caliper and one of the front calipers. Have you checked the brake fluid level and cleanliness? The system can be difficult to bleed properly. The rear bleeder is a bear if you have large hands.
2015 Goldwing, basic black

Previously: GL1200 standard, GL1200 Interstate, GL1500 Goldwing, GL1500 Valkyrie Standard, 2000 Valkyrie Interstate, many other Hondas
Rambozo
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade
Ducati Monster

Post by Rambozo »

My guess was "cylinder".
Andy Cote
Motorcycle: 2015 Goldwing, basic black

Post by Andy Cote »

Rambozo wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 2:07 pm My guess was "cylinder".
That could be.

I'm still a fan of the human/Cylon hybrid. Better than a Mary Ann/Ginger debate. Katee Sackoff, Tricia Helfer, Grace Park or Lucy Lawless?

Back to our regular programming. I never really got good results using a vacuum bleeder on my GL1500. Old fashioned pump and release method finally got there.
2015 Goldwing, basic black

Previously: GL1200 standard, GL1200 Interstate, GL1500 Goldwing, GL1500 Valkyrie Standard, 2000 Valkyrie Interstate, many other Hondas
PegasusRider

Post by PegasusRider »

Didnt find any of these behind the panels only the rear brake fluid reservoir.
Attachments