Difficulty gettting into neutral

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
mybike3
Motorcycle: 1990 GL1500 Gold Wing

Difficulty gettting into neutral

Post by mybike3 »

My 1990 Goldwing 1500, with 90,000 actual miles, after shifting from 1st gear and trying to shift back into neutral, is very difficult and the neutral green indicator light will not light up and it will not start if I turn the engine off, unless I can shake, rattle and roll the gear shift leveler, any idea's what could the problem?

Thank you
E. Malone
Cleveland, Ohio

Rambozo
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade
Ducati Monster

Re: Difficulty gettting into neutral

Post by Rambozo »

Two things, how does it shift otherwise? You might want to try synthetic oil aa that can improve the shifting. However, it's not a cure for mechanical problems, it just makes it a little smoother. Next, you should be able to start it with the clutch pulled in, even when it is not in neutral. If not, you probably have either a bad clutch switch, or a worn bushing in the clutch lever. Do you have a stock shifter or a heel toe? Real thick boots can also rob you of the feel of the shifter, so that makes it harder to find neutral.
Swagonmaster
Motorcycle: 1990 gl1500 SE

Post by Swagonmaster »

Oil level or condition is likely but a worn or loose shifter will add to a poblem.
Try to learn from the mistakes of others..... you won't live long enough to make them all yourself!
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin »

Swagonmaster wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 1:48 pm Oil level or condition is likely but a worn or loose shifter will add to a poblem.
...as can air in the clutch line.
mybike3

Post by mybike3 »

Rambozo wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 1:37 pm Two things, how does it shift otherwise? You might want to try synthetic oil aa that can improve the shifting. However, it's not a cure for mechanical problems, it just makes it a little smoother. Next, you should be able to start it with the clutch pulled in, even when it is not in neutral. If not, you probably have either a bad clutch switch, or a worn bushing in the clutch lever. Do you have a stock shifter or a heel toe? Real thick boots can also rob you of the feel of the shifter, so that makes it harder to find neutral.
Yes, I have the stock shifter, no thick boots, it will start with the clutch pulled in, it shifts normally, but the shifter lever is a little wobbly and probably worn, and it's time for an oil and filter change.

Thanks
mybike3

Post by mybike3 »

WingAdmin wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 2:08 pm
Swagonmaster wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 1:48 pm Oil level or condition is likely but a worn or loose shifter will add to a problem.
...as can air in the clutch line.
I think you hit in on the head, the shift lever is a little wobbly and a little worn, there also seems to be some play in the shift lever, oil level is on the mark, the GW 1500 clutch is hydraulic, I try some Synthetic oil and filter when I change the oil.

Thank you